Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm watching NBC's coverage of the match (if you want to call it that) and Johnny Mac says that he heard in the locker room that Novak wants a day off, so if he has to play/start tomorrow, come back Saturday, he wants a Monday final (basically).

Bear in mind that NBC is only available in the US, so not everyone may be getting this.

I'm guessing the organizers may not grant this request (if Novak indeed files a formal request).

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
If true, then I wonder when Djokovic voiced this particular intent. If it was during Wednesday, then the OOP for Friday is possibly the logical consequence, and not merely the result of a business decision.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
Asterisked Slam for Nadal and no Slam for Nole would be ideal, but no way he boycotts the match if the organisers do not concede to his request.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Let's see what happens tomorrow. Probably there will be a rain delay at the start of semis but not sure how bad it will be (depends on showers presence/absence in the afternoon).
In case of the worst scenario Novak or Thiem will have to play 3 consecutive days before the final (with the other finalist only one day out of previous four). Monday final is the best from sporting point of view but if the organizers don't accept this (and Novak is really determined) they risk complete cancellation of final. I hope this topic won't be valid after tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
So i'm watching NBC's coverage of the match (if you want to call it that) and Johnny Mac says that he heard in the locker room that Novak wants a day off, so if he has to play/start tomorrow, come back Saturday, he wants a Monday final (basically).

Bear in mind that NBC is only available in the US, so not everyone may be getting this.

I'm guessing the organizers may not grant this request (if Novak indeed files a formal request).
I like this. Players should be united and stick up against the greedy/stupid organizers.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yes, if the second semifinal is on Saturday, whoever wins should refuse to play again on Sunday. If Djokovic is saying this, I applaud his guts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes. If Thiem wins in the semifinal match on Saturday, Djokovic obviously won't play Sunday final :grin2:

But seriously, didn't Djokovic play the semifinals and finals on three consecutive days for 2018 Wimbledon?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
What a crybaby, nadal should have said the same ahead of AO finals 09 and 17 against Federer but he kept his mouth shut and played tennis instead

Suffering in silence is pointless. I remember Nadal complaining about Federer being favoured at SW19. Djokovic did something about it, and Federer was moved to court one. If something is unfair, do something about it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Then hand the trophy to Nadal (or Federer) if Pushak gives a W/O. Hopefully Thiem wins his semi though.

·
Administrator
10,757 Posts
Title doesn't match what you wrote in the OP.

Of course he'll play in the final if he makes it no matter what day it is. :superlol: He's just frustrated about the poor scheduling overall in this tournament. Three BO5 matches in three days is brutal though.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts