Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
9,613 Posts
Although I’m not the biggest Delpo fan, it hurts to read such news. Wishing him all the best on his last surgery

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
It's a contradiction. Playing with pain and then retiring doesn't mean you're finishing on your accord, unfortunately. The time-off, decline and then retirement manifested largely due to the pain.

Well, he's had an excellent career and is nearly 32. He can retire from tennis happy with winning the US Open before injuries hampered him.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Normally I don't say stuff like "he should have won more slams" or "other players are really lucky this player wasn't able to compete for years", but DelPo is an exception. I can't even remember the last match he played on tour.

All the best DelPo!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
He said that his parents have never seen him playing "live" in a GS event (only in the Davis Cup in Argentina many years ago), and he would love this to happen before he retires and that's why he will probably make another effort to come back. He also wants to present his parents to Roger. Anyway, this will more look like a farewell tour, and won't happen before 2021.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
No matter what u think of his career, he was a titan when healthy & should have had at least as many slams as Murrinka if not for bad luck.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
No matter what u think of his career, he was a titan when healthy & should have had at least as many slams as Murrinka if not for bad luck.
I think he could have won Wimbledon 2017 for sure. So, that's 2. I don't know what else. He was never going to win at AO and RG. It had to be USO. Maybe 2014 USO? Yea, those two.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Oh Delpo. He's had a better career than most, but it must be disappointing for him sometimes to think back on what could have been if he didn't have so many injury struggles. I think if he was healthier and around more, he would have been part of the "second tier Big 3" with Murray and Wawrinka.

Whatever happens, hopefully his body can recover after tennis. People tend to forget many athletes have to live with chronic injuries or pain for years after retiring, sometimes indefinitely.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
[QUOTE="bhdtl, post: 41501545, member: 14098
I think he could have won Wimbledon 2017 for sure. So, that's 2. I don't know what else. He was never going to win at AO and RG. It had to be USO. Maybe 2014 USO? Yea, those two.
[/QUOTE]
Just checked & found he went out to Gulbis in 2nd round while he started tourn. ranked 29 so curious as to why WB17? Had he competed in USO14, I could see him prevailing over either of those finalists.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Because Cilic was injured and 2017 was the weakest year of the decade (2011-2020), with so many injuries. I think Del Potro could have won that, had he been in form.

·
Premium Member
11,977 Posts
What a joke.

·
Premium Member
11,977 Posts
Also you all can piss off that want to dog against Del Potro. Could you imagine wasting your time to dog on a guy who has had four wrist surgeries + knee , etc? And still wants to go out on his own terms , whether that means he can't use his body at all??

Yeah think about it. Then we have people like Tomic, Paire, Kyrgios , etc. who are ok with losing R1 and collecting their 20,000 dollar pay check for smashing a racquet.

·
6,702 Posts
Normally I don't say stuff like "he should have won more slams" or "other players are really lucky this player wasn't able to compete for years", but DelPo is an exception. I can't even remember the last match he played on tour.

All the best DelPo!
Yep, not many players could cause the problems for the Big 3 that Delpo did.
An absolute brute at his best.
A shame his career was constantly interrupted.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
It really is a damn shame, this guy definitely could’ve won some more slams and arguably would’ve had a better career than Wawrinka. I mean this guy 6-2 6-2 6-2’d Nadal in a slam semi. Even though Dull was kinda bad that year, that’s still quite something plus he backed it up by defeating prime Federer in the final. Also managed to make it to no.3 in the world in a quick amount of time from ground zero after coming back from an injury. We can all only hope for the best for him and hope he can make one last run and achieve something spectacular.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
I miss Delpo so very much. He's my third-favourite player, after Zverev and Thiem. I don't know if his knee will ever allow him to play again, but I hope he can at least play one final tournament so he can have a proper farewell.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
The problem isn't going to play a competitive match, punctually, but actually to play on a daily basis with reduced recovery time although it has been easier for these players with methods like cryotherapy, compared to how it was a few years ago.

·
Registered
20,668 Posts
I remember 2013 was a great year (apart from AO) for Delpo, maybe he still hasn't found that form since. I don't see it happening again though.
Even being semi injured, he should have done more at the USO, just 1 semi and 1 final out of 6 tries are not really good on his best surface.
I just wish him another strong year with at least one more slam final and a couple of good Masters runs.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I miss Delpo so very much. He's my third-favourite player, after Zverev and Thiem. I don't know if his knee will ever allow him to play again, but I hope he can at least play one final tournament so he can have a proper farewell.
Gotta say I’m surprised Djokovic isn’t your favorite considering you hype him up in a lot of your posts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts