Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week’s King of the Court is Jiri Vesely, the Czech 20-year-old who is one of the rising stars on the ATP World Tour.

The former junior world No 1 was named the 2013 ATP Star of Tomorrow after a fast climb through the rankings from No 263 at the start of the year to No 85 at the end of December.

Vesely, currently ranked No 79, was competing at the BRD Nastase Tiriac Trophy event in Bucharest this week, in which he lost to top seed Grigor Dimitrov in the second round.

What is the best match you have ever played?

It was in Indian Wells against Andy Murray this year [Vesely lost a close three-set match to the Wimbledon champion in the third round].

What is the worst?

Against Jack Sock in Memphis this year [Vesely lost 6-2, 6-1 in 69 minutes].

If you could team up in doubles with any player from history, who would it be and why?

Roger Federer. I practised with him in Indian Wells and I enjoyed it. He’s my idol.

Who are your best friends in the locker room and what do you get up to with them as you travel the world?

I usually hang out with the Czech players and also the German players because I used to live in Germany. We usually go out for dinner.

Who is your favourite sports team or athlete?

Any sports where the Czech team or athlete is involved. It’s exciting to see them competing.

What is your favourite travel destination away from the tennis tour?

Somewhere hot where I can swim.

What is your favourite song and film of all time?

My favourite film is The Wolf of Wall Street. I like any songs - some from the Backstreet Boys.

What would be your last meal on earth?

Carpaccio, a good steak with fries and a tiramisu.

Which three people would you invite to the meal?

My three best friends.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
would have been all good, but...The Backstreet Boys? :sad:

Worst would be only Bieber :facepalm:

Anyways, a Fedfan, so he's pardoned

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
As a professional tennis player and not an MTF poster, he probably doesn't judge how well he played based of how many pretty winners he hit.
Lack of pretty winners was hardly the problem. More: hitting 52 unforced errors, failing almost every overhead, choking from 7-6 *4-3 40-15, and not taking advantage of a clearly sub-par Andy Murray. Any Top 20 player could have taken Murray out that day, so nearly beating him is nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Lack of pretty winners was hardly the problem. More: hitting 52 unforced errors, failing almost every overhead, choking from 7-6 *4-3 40-15, and not taking advantage of a clearly sub-par Andy Murray. Any Top 20 player could have taken Murray out that day, so nearly beating him is nothing to write home about.
he's a top 250 player still in his head, so even being close to what a top 20 player would do is the day of his life.

You need to realize that the guy is still feeling that he doesn't belong that high yet and being toe to toe with a big 4 is like the best day of his life. He's been watching the guy on TV 12 months prior and never thought he could ever get a game off him.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
As a professional tennis player and not an MTF poster, he probably doesn't judge how well he played based of how many pretty winners he hit.
^ Love this. :clap2:

Vesely played far better than anyone gave him credit for that day. Yes, he botched some smashes; yes, he let his nerves get the better of him. But for the majority of that game he was hanging in rallies with Murray, playing consistent groundstrokes and defending very well. I'm sure he'll have many better matches, but for someone with so few ATP wins at the time, there was every reason to be happy with his performance.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
would have been all good, but...The Backstreet Boys? :sad:

Worst would be only Bieber :facepalm:

Anyways, a Fedfan, so he's pardoned
Didn't Lundgren reveal Federer was also a huge Backstreet Boys fan? when it comes to bad taste in music, he's only following his idol. :haha:

Vesely's game is a bit boring but he seems like a good guy.

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
:haha: :haha: :haha:

It was the second worst ATP match I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
"I think the quality of tennis was not great. Both of us struggled with leads in the match. I was up two breaks in the first set and managed to lose it. He was up a break quite a few times in the second and third sets and couldn't quite close it out. It was a pretty ugly match, to be honest, to be involved in because there was no real rhythm. Neither of us really played well at the same time; it was either one or the other. Thankfully I managed to just dig it out in the end." - Murray

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/10/andy-murray-jiri-vesely-indian-wells

1 - 20 of 26 Posts