Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tennisearth.com/news/tennisNews/Jimmy-Connors-Tennis-Needs-Rafael-Nadal-at-World-No-1-290114.htm

"In this game we need someone like Rafael Nadal to be World No.1. He puts such passion in his game in a way that never fails to excite me. Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic sure have the talent, but Rafa has it as well, but he brings a whole lot more of emotions together with that. An example? When he came back from his injury in 2013, to end up collecting all those incredible wins."

"I think Nadal's best shot is his return of serve. He is the best in that in the tour, and numbers are there to confirm it. Someone like Rafa needs to always be aggressive and play close to the baseline, like I did at my time using flat shots. Against Kyrgios however, his return didn't work. Sure the Australian played a great match that day, but I am sure that if Nadal were to play better with his return, trying to be more aggressive, he could have won the match"

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
What big difference is it going to be for the sport if nadal is #1 or #2? Is it going to increase the sport popularity? Is more peole going to watch if he's 1and nole shows just as much passion on court as dull.

Lol at dull being the best returner. :haha:

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
I see no lies being told.

Connors telling it how it is, MTF's rabid Nadal haters will no doubt try to laugh it all away, but that doesn't make it any less true.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I see no lies being told.

Connors telling it how it is, MTF's rabid Nadal haters will no doubt try to laugh it all away, but that doesn't make it any less true.
So the better player over a year shouldn't be number 1 but the one that shows most passion should?

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
So the better player over a year shouldn't be number 1 but the one that shows most passion should?
Rankings don't show who the best player is, just who the best hardcourt player is with the massive amount of hardcourt tournaments.

Nadal holds 2 slams, he's much better than Mastersovic.

For tennis fans it's better to have GOATdal at #1 instead of tryhard Novak.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Rankings don't show who the best player is, just who the best hardcourt player is with the massive amount of hardcourt tournaments.

There is a reason only people who root for Nadal are his fans.Tennis fans hate his anti tennis

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Reality is that the majority of tournaments are on hardcourt. That's tennis these days. You have to live with that just like Federer fans have to live with the grass season being so short.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Why are former american tennis stars so obsessed with Nadal?:confused::eek:

And since when is dull the best returner on Tour? He is just pushing the return over the net. Hardly going for the winner.

Do they have a crush on Nadal, so they see him much better than he his? :spit:

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Is Jimmy Connors on twitter? Somebody should warn him for the hatefest he's going to get there.

Then again, Connors is not one to shy away from a kerfuffle.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
"I think Nadal's best shot is his return of serve. He is the best in that in the tour, and numbers are there to confirm it."
They can't read statistics, that's the real problem. And it's really embarassing because it happens so often and so many TV experts make huge mistakes.

Nadal has the best break statistic (so the ratio of games he can break). But that is not a causal link to the return shot. It's just about the whole game plus many other factors.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Is Jimmy Connors on twitter? Somebody should warn him for the hatefest he's going to get there.

Then again, Connors is not one to shy away from a kerfuffle.
well, by claiming his best shot is return of serve....

lets not even go there though :eek:

best no.1 for the tour would be some 20 year old who reaches the top as a vanguard of a new generation

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
rafa's return is the worst amongst the big fours but thanks Connors for the love of Nadal :hearts:

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
well, by claiming his best shot is return of serve....
I would not call it his best shot but he's not bad at it and the stats do confirm that:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/MatchFacts.aspx

I think that it has to do more with Jimmy connecting with Nadal in another way. For Jimmy, tennis was war and when you see Nadal getting ready for a match, it's also as if he's getting ready for battle.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
And to add to this, Jim Courier said something similar on Tennis Channel. He said that he think that Nadal is more deserving of the No. 1 rank nore than Djokovic, because "he wouldn't have lost the Australian Open if he wasn't injured".

1 - 20 of 298 Posts