Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you check the profile of Jimmy Connors in the ATP he is now with 1261 wins, the ATP added the round robin matches from WCT Challenge Cup of 1976, the 3rd place matchfrom Pepsi Grand Slam 1976 and also a 3rd place match from London Dewar Cup.

According to another forum, they would add even more matches, with 1274 being the "real" of ATP match wins.

·
Your visions will happen
47,118 Posts
Re: Jimmy Connors has 5 more wins

They did this with Vilas too when Rafa was closing on the clay win record

Connors though just played so many matches my goodness for so many years, literally thousands of matches, it is only natural to miss some here and there

Pepsi Grand Slam by the way had some epic 4 player draws of like Borg/McEnroe/Vilas/Connors in good ol' Boca Raton Florida

_jlhRFMVHV8

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Connors though just played so many matches my goodness for so many years, literally thousands of matches, it is only natural to miss some here and there

Pepsi Grand Slam by the way had some epic 4 player draws of like Borg/McEnroe/Vilas/Connors in good ol' Boca Raton Florida

_jlhRFMVHV8
With Vilas they didn't add tournaments just corrected the surface of some tournaments.

And Connors deserve to be added those wins, but I really want to see if they add the wins of Aetna WTC Cup, it was a tournament between Australia and USA. Connors won 6 matches in this tournament.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Look guys, let's try this again. Jimmy was playing so many silly tournaments. Yes, the record is there but it is not that important. Nobody even remembers how many tournaments he won in a couple of rounds.

Federer, on the other hand, played and won fair and square. Different thing completely. Different times.

On top of all of that Connors was probably the most annoying spoiled brat in history of tennis :bite::fiery:. I couldn't stand him. Probably the only player I was always cheering against.

JMac was 'a very kind person' compared to him.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

_jlhRFMVHV8

...The exact same thing happened to Federer last year when he was closing in on Connor's all time grasscourt wins record (170) and then they added 4 more to the tally for good measure.I remember there was a thread about this last year and I mentioned this thing will happen again in the future because when a player nears a milestone there's always someone out there that trawls through some obscure archive and finds a 'statistical anomaly' or such.It can be bloody annoying but if the retired player is owed his dues... then such is life.

... That's why I always say that breaking a record isn't enough... the players must elevate it to a level that is almost inconceivable to break & also have a good wide berth over the previous record holder that way in future years if any 'retroactive wins/record' gets added to the former record holder it still won't be enough to usurp the incumbent leader.

Wouldn't at all surprise me if Fed gets to circa 107 titles and is 2 away from Jimmy's record and then some obseqious servile underling out there pulls out an old ATP spreadsheet that showed Connor's winning a title at some local car wash way back long ago and that gets added to the tally.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Connors is a fraud. Can't wait until Fed passes him. He won events with 4 person draws. Clearly "legit titles". How can Vilas win 16 events from 22 finals including 2 slams and the ATP gods tell the world Connors the #1. Although given Connors' passion, I'm sure I would've supported him given his passion for the game.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
10 wins and 3 losses added for Connors

- 2 more wins from Macnhester 1974 R16→R64
- 6 more wins from Aetna WCT, it was a country tournament between Australia and USA
- 2 more wins and 1 loss from Kingston 1971
- 1 loss from New York Indoor 1972
- 1 loss from Boston 1969

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
10 wins and 3 losses added for Connors

- 2 more wins from Macnhester 1974 R16→R64
- 6 more wins from Aetna WCT, it was a country tournament between Australia and USA
- 2 more wins and 1 loss from Kingston 1971
- 1 loss from New York Indoor 1972
- 1 loss from Boston 1969
Why would this even count? It seems like the definition of ATP win is being used quite loosely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts