Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-delraynote04mar04,0,2180243.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis

The whole article is quite interesting but the part with Jeff Tarango is particulary amusing:

Jeff Tarango, the American player whose wife is French and who lives part-time in France, also is playing doubles here, and he had a more expansive view of French-U.S. relations. He said the tension originates more with Chirac than with the French people.

But, he added, "Basically, the French people don't want anything to do with wars. They want to be in their little bubble and act like there's nothing going on anywhere in the world except France. And the only way to do that is to not acknowledge that anything is wrong.

"They've had bombings, tankers hit by terrorists, and they don't want to admit it was terrorism. People over there don't feel like there's a problem. The French are in a complete world of denial.''

At an event in Dubai two weeks ago, Tarango was approached by a couple of French players (Fabrice Santoro and Nicolas Escude). "They wanted to know what I thought of George Bush and his position.

"I told them it's like when you have a germ. If you don't kill the bacteria right away it becomes a virus. You've got a guy trying to exterminate humans on this planet, so what alternative do we have but to search him out and get rid of him?

"But French players don't really have a political agenda,'' Tarango said. "They're more into their Playstations and reading L'Equipe [the national sports newspaper].''

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Jeff Tarango is an expert on insulting people and he is full of hot air. That's my opinion. And to use Mr. Tarango's example, in order to kill the germ, let's burn this guy to ashes so the germ will not infect any people.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I think some of what Jeff said is true. The guy is a bit kooky, but, I guess this is a first for me, to agree with anything he would say. Hehe, that is so cute that Nicolas and Fabrice came up to him about politics.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
lol @ Acetracker! i was just about to highlight the same thing...:) :)

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
LMAO! :D This post is too funny at so many levels. Is he seriously supporting Bush's actions and criticizing the French for their lack of political awareness in the same breath? I can just see what happened. He had a heated debate with some of the French players and they obviously didn't share the same opionion about Bush's plan to eradicate terrorism, which led the pissed off Tarango to whine to the press about the political blindness of the French and their love of playstation games. :rolleyes:

Newsflash Jeff! Get real! Since when does having a different political "agenda" means you don't have one? Oh yeah, I forgot. "If you don't agree with us, YOU are the enemy!" *pointing a menacing finger* I don't often throw insults around, but all I have to say is... what a moron! I admit I don't know much about Tarango, but is there no end of jerks in the world of American tennis? Seems like everyday I discover someone new. One hurls insults at the umpire, another one threatens to beat the umpire up, and yet another graces us with his wonderful political speeches. Enough already, I'm starting to get pissed off! ;) Can't they produce more players like James Blake and Todd Martin? :hearts: It seems like they're a dying breed. :(

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Layla said:
One hurls insults at the umpire, another one threatens to beat the umpire up, and yet another graces us with his wonderful political speeches.
Layla, have you forgotten Mr. Tarango comes with the whole package? He is most famous with his incident of bad mouthing at an umpire and then his wife punch the guy in Wimbleton (if I remember correctly).

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
That was him Lee :D

It seems that Bush has more admirers then I thought.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Ilhame said:
That was him Lee :D

It seems that Bush has more admirers then I thought.
I'm sure it's Jeff but I'm not sure it's Wimbly.

Lots of American are brain washed with patriotism and I guess that's the reason with so many Bush supporters. But I see his support is lessen now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Lee said:
I'm sure it's Jeff but I'm not sure it's Wimbly.

Lots of American are brain washed with patriotism and I guess that's the reason with so many Bush supporters. But I see his support is lessen now.
it was at Wimby...and if I remember correctly spitting was involved...though it might be just my imagination...

damn,where is Becca when you need her...

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Riley Finn said:
it was at Wimby...and if I remember correctly spitting was involved...though it might be just my imagination...

damn,where is Becca when you need her...
Thanks Riley Finn! Becca is MIA since the server move. :(

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Awwww I feel like I was missed!

True story - I left my computer on for two days straight, since the servers changed. I wasn't able to get on anytime that I tried so finally I went "ah,fuck it" I restarted and PRESTO, it works!

Tarango was the one who had a fight with the chair ump, yes. If I recall, he was losing and had been being an ass over line calls as it was, so he finall just blew his top and ended up leaving the court. His wife did indeed give that chair ump a slap in the face :D I'm not sure about spitting, but that would certaintly make for a better story.. maybe Jeff spat when he left?

Jeff Tarango RULES!

And Riley - how do you feel about Federer's comments on wanting to be number one? ;)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I should point out that I usually leave my computer on for days on end, and that leaving it on had nothing to do with the server change (that would make no sense). It just happened to coincide with it.

But a few minutes ago I decided that maybe that was the reason that my computer couldn't understand that it had moved...

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's a contradiction, first Jeff talks about how Nico and Fab came up to him to discuss politics and then he claims French players don't care about politics. Makes sense, no?

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
let me just say what I said about KFC...bullsh!t!think of being ranked #3 and 2 first then we can talk about #1
Uh huh... so if one only needs to be ranked 3 and 2 in order to talk about number 1 (in your opinion), then aren't you being a hypocrit for critisizing Ferrero? :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts