Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unofficial sources in Finland saying Jarkko will retire at the end of this year.

Given his form and results, it's probably the right call but this is a sad moment in Finnish tennis, he's been by far our most successful player ever and we'll have to wait a long time for another success (in singles, Kontinen seems to be doing well in doubles).

Highlights (so far!): 3xGS quarterfinalist (all in different slams, RG missing), 2 titles and a bunch of finals. Great attitude on and off the court, was friends with pretty much everyone on Tour, huge fighter who never gave up in matches :worship:

Thanks for the memories Jarkko

EDIT: Jarkko has since himself simply said that he "will announce publicly when he will retire", so this is still unofficial.

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
Re: Jarkko Nieminen to retire at the end of 2015 (unofficial)

Sad to see him go, but not unexpected. It's been nice to have him on the tour all this time. I wish him luck with the rest of his life, and wouldn't mind seeing a few more victories while he's still playing.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Sad to read this, but like said before this wasn't unexpected. Still I have a huge respect towards Jarkko and all the things he has done for Finnish tennis throughout all these years. It's going to be a long wait for another Finnish player like him (talking about men's singles tour).

·
Administrator
18,621 Posts

Hope he can push Djokovic in his last RG then. He should take advantage of this encounter to give everything he's got, and maybe take a set.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

Fantastic allround player. Haven't watched him play in ages, unfortunately. What's his age right now?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Fantastic allround player. Haven't watched him play in ages, unfortunately. What's his age right now?
Federer's (New Balls) era, born in -81

·
Registered
26,103 Posts

I still think he plays top 100 level most of the time, but must be tough to play a full schedule these days. I demand one last big highlight in Portugal.

·
Registered
33,357 Posts

He will have one last hurrah, winning RG doubles with Janowicz :).

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

He tried to keep up with young kids. But father time has come. Won alot of small bets on him.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

Will come to Portugal por Davis Cup in July and I'll be there! Really nice career and huge for finish tennis.

Reactions: Yolita

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Jarkko himself is still denying the news so news is still unofficial and could be wrong :). I'd hope he'd play doubles in Rio with Kontinen...

·
Registered
26,103 Posts

True forgot about Rio with the prince of tennis.:( That sounds like sth Jarkko would love to play.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts

Great guy, nice game and his blog is always interesting, I suggest you giving it a read, let's wait for the official announcement.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

Not true. Jarkko said himself today that he's not decided when he quits and will say so when he does. Said that he will continue and felt today after morning practice that he could carry on until Tokyo 2020...

http://yle.fi/urheilu/jarkko_niemin...tuntui_etta_voisin_vetaa_tokioon_asti/8010207

He also said today that Djokovic is currently the maximum challenge and he's going to fight and enjoy the challenge. "Novak probably plays at the moment best tennis of his life and is one or two notches above rest of the players" "It will be maximum test" "I've always liked testing myself through tough challenges and this gives me yet another chance to do so".

http://yle.fi/urheilu/jarkko_nieminen_loysi_kaksi_positiivista_asiaa_hurjasta_haasteesta/8011236

Sounds like Djokovic in straights... :p

·
Banned
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not true. Jarkko said himself today that he's not decided when he quits and will say so when he does. Said that he will continue and felt today after morning practice that he could carry on until Tokyo 2020...

http://yle.fi/urheilu/jarkko_niemin...tuntui_etta_voisin_vetaa_tokioon_asti/8010207

He also said today that Djokovic is currently the maximum challenge and he's going to fight and enjoy the challenge. "Novak probably plays at the moment best tennis of his life and is one or two notches above rest of the players" "It will be maximum test" "I've always liked testing myself through tough challenges and this gives me yet another chance to do so".

http://yle.fi/urheilu/jarkko_nieminen_loysi_kaksi_positiivista_asiaa_hurjasta_haasteesta/8011236

Sounds like Djokovic in straights... :p

True, still unofficial. Hope it's not true! Jarkko might just be delaying the announcement though...

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
1,221 Posts

What a match against Delpo in Monte Carlo guys!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

Retirement is definitely near, but I´d be a little suprised if he would quit after this season instead of trying to make it to Rio, which is right around the corner. Playing at the Olympics has always been a big deal for Jarkko. Whatever he decides, it´s been a great career and he has done so much for finnish tennis. Nothing but respect for the man!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts