1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
596 Posts
This begs to start an argument, and I feel like helping: so MTF, how young is too young?

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Another forum I post on has this thread asking if he is a monster in the making. Regarding that, it really matters if the kid really wants this. I played cello for 5 years in school. I guess I was sort of like Andy, not extremely talented but pushing myself to use my talent as much as possible. There was another cellist who was simply amazing but sorta didn't care much (sort of like Safin). He was just so amazing but didn't realize it. :eek:

He ended up quitting because he was never in love with music in the first place. I had to quit because I have a permanent injury to my left wrist that made playing painful. I would have given everything to be able to play like the guy, if even for just ten minutes. :sad:

Does this 6 year old have the determination and drive to appreciate his talent? No, I don't think so, He's 6 for goodness sakes!! :mad: I'm surprised he's still interested. :(

God, I hate stage parents. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally think this is awful...and I wish there were some laws designed to prevent this thing from happening. Its obvious the parents and his entourage of handlers only give a damn about creating the next, forgive me Roger, "legend". They push him like a coach pushes a seasoned pro. If they want him to be a kid, why is he dressed like a pro? I can understand the shoe being top of the line, but how about some Transformers tees or Pokemon stuff? Or how about wearing a shirt while playing instead of trying to be the next Agassi?

All in all, I think this is CLEAR ABUSE. And, I hope, though it may sound cruel, that this plan to create the next champion fails. Not that the kid ends up being a sad or lost boy/adult...but that the child NEVER becomes a champion. Other parents will follow...and childhood for many will be lost.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
sawan: STFU. You know nothing about them. Silva is the next legend.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
All in all, I think this is CLEAR ABUSE. And, I hope, though it may sound cruel, that this plan to create the next champion fails. Not that the kid ends up being a sad or lost boy/adult...but that the child NEVER becomes a champion. Other parents will follow...and childhood for many will be lost.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

This reminds me of a girl I graduated with. She was (clearly) the valedictorian and ended up with a cumulative 4.7+ GPA, which is insane in and of itself, but even more ridiculous given that we went to a college prep high school and our school is in the nation's top 10% and every graduate goes to college.

She told me that her parents pushed her hard. When she was 7, she failed a piano test and got whipped. :unsure: :eek: :bolt: We went to a state convention with our Interact Club and while we were watching some performances, she was studying for an extra credit exam for her one of her 7 AP courses. :rolleyes: I mean, she was like a trained monkey. Double :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
If this is all the kid is allowed to do, it really is a shame. Regardless of the fact whether the kid likes the training or not, kids need to be given the opportunities to get a taste of the experiences of life from as many perspectives as possible. And if this kid is really only training to become a tennis professional, then that will be the only thing he ever will be able to amount to. If he even succeeds at that.

But I don't know the entire story. Maybe they do leave him space to explore other stuff. But most of these "child-prodigy"-stories feature hyper-competitive freak parents who push their kids to the brink, and more often than not, over it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ABUSE, not so much the tennis itself, but because his dad quit his job and has now put the kid under all the pressure in the world to grow up and be a pro player and support his family... and he's just like 6 or 7 ??!!!

He does look like he's improved a ton in the past year. Last year when I saw clips of him I thought it was silly that people were making a big deal out of his talent. Now it's clear that he is very talented for his age.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
It's not abuse. Use the search tool and find the other threads/stories on this topic. Both of Jan's parents have jobs, he is not the bread winner for the family. If he wants to stop playing, he'll stop playing.

If anyone on this forum is the parent of a child prodigy, please enlighten us to what that is like. If not, then it's all just so many opinions.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
It's not abuse. Use the search tool and find the other threads/stories on this topic. Both of Jan's parents have jobs, he is not the bread winner for the family. If he wants to stop playing, he'll stop playing.

If anyone on this forum is the parent of a child prodigy, please enlighten us to what that is like. If not, then it's all just so many opinions.
What's the father's job? As of two weeks ago he was unemployed. Yeah right, no pressure on that kid. If he wanted to stop I guess his family would simply just pick up their life and move to a new country as if it were no big deal.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's the parents' goal to hype the kid. That's how u get endorsements.
You don't even know at 15 if the kid's going to be top 10. So a 5, 6, 7 year old, it doesn't mean he'll ever be top 100.
Sampras wasn't the top junior. Chang owned him when they were 15, 16.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe they do leave him space to explore other stuff.
The parents of Silva will claim this as almost all these abusive, grubbing parents do. This simple fact is they try to claim that if the child wants to quit, he can quit, etc. That is utter bunk. The reality is that the child is often manipulated into wanting to play, and the choice to quit is not really there.

In the clip, Jan wants to hit a forehand crosscourt. Rather than allow the kid to do so, the coach says "no"...that this is a down the line drill. GIVE ME A BREAK.:mad::mad::mad: He's a six year old KID. Let him hit the ball where he wants. Yes, one might argue that this is an isolated incident. However, I am confident this simply par for the course. Forget about teaching the kid about life...the parents want him to live and breathe tennis. And just because he is allowed to watch cartoons once in a while does NOT mean they are nurturing him...

They are simply trying to produce a champion player...they don't seem to give a damn about producing an upstanding human being.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
The parents of Silva will claim this as almost all these abusive, grubbing parents do. This simple fact is they try to claim that if the child wants to quit, he can quit, etc. That is utter bunk. The reality is that the child is often manipulated into wanting to play, and the choice to quit is not really there.
Without going into the details of this particular case, as I don't think I have enough information to be able to give an opinion, I think you are raising a very important point here.

Quite often people seem to make the mistake to think that a child that young can make his/her own decisions on what to do and what not. Well, that's plain WRONG. Kids of this age always want to please their parents first and foremost, and as such, they'll very often get 'mentally forced' into doing things that please their parents most. As such, the parents will always claim that it's the kid's choice, while in reality, it's much more a subtle combination of parents pushing (quite often, even without them being aware of it, BTW), and the kid accepting it because he/she is happy to be apparently pleasing his/her parents. In the end, it might all come out okay, but it may well also a deep rift in the relationship between the child and his/her parents.
I think there are plenty examples of this to be found everywhere, and not just in tennis, sadly enough.

·
Registered
521 Posts
the first time i heard of him, i immediately had the foresight to predict that
he will triple bagel the transitional champ in 2015 wimbledon.

Looks like he is on the right track.my only beef with this kid he is misguided into believing the arrogant swiss is great.

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Doesn't starting any sport seriously at such an early age stunt growth of bones? I really don't know the answer but would appreciate someone with amedical background to give me the answer.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Doesn't starting any sport seriously at such an early age stunt growth of bones? I really don't know the answer but would appreciate someone with amedical background to give me the answer.
As far as I know, it should be okay in terms of physical development - provided the kid doesn't take it too far, i.e. being coached well by someone who tells him to stop when it gets too much, of course.

It's rather the possible psychological damage factor that I think is worrisome.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
what a moronic answer, do you know many kids that train as hard as he does since the age of 3 or 4 ? I'm guessing his trainers are very careful about that problem but it's still a risk.

It reminds me of this chinese guy who's training his 7 year old girl by making her run a marathonevery other day claiming that "she likes it" while it will probably destroy her physically in a few years. Those kids are way too young to make the right decisions in these cases, they should be able to trust their parents to do that for them unfortunetly many seem unable to do so

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Didn't hurt Mardy Fish. He's still growing.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts