Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
7,774 Posts
I think it was in Paris that Blake got angry with the umpire about how much money he was costing him by making bad calls. Interesting guy

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, always bringing up Arthur Ashe, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa parks, barack Obama... ok we got it you are only proud of one side of your heritage, but what about your mother? He just seems way too full of himself!

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Yes, always bringing up Arthur Ashe, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa parks, barack Obama... ok we got it you are only proud of one side of your heritage, but what about your mother? He just seems way too full of himself!
What are you talking about? If anything, James HAS to overcompensate to be considered anything of worth in the black community. Hell, every black person I kow who follows tennis was pulling for Monfils over him at RG because Monfils was actually black. :rolleyes:

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
What are you talking about? If anything, James HAS to overcompensate to be considered anything of worth in the black community. Hell, every black person I kow who follows tennis was pulling for Monfils over him at RG because Monfils was actually black. :rolleyes:
maybe it was because Monflis isn't such a dick

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
maybe it was because Monflis isn't such a dick
Or maybe because those people actually said, "I hope Monfils wins since he is actually black."

·
Registered
134 Posts

James may indeed be bi-racial, but here in the US he is considered Black.

End of story.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
James may indeed be bi-racial, but here in the US he is considered Black.

End of story.
In the US, being 6.25% black = being 100% black :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
In the US, being 6.25% black = being 100% black :rolleyes:

Ah yes...the lovely one drop rule. My good friend who is mixed gets annoyed about people making her feel like she has to chose one or the other. Ummm...she is has two parents with two different backgrounds.

I didn't see anything wrong with what he said. It is MLK Day after all..

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Ah yes...the lovely one drop rule. My good friend who is mixed gets annoyed about people making her feel like she has to chose one or the other. Ummm...she is has two parents with two different backgrounds.

I didn't see anything wrong with what he said. It is MLK Day after all..
There was nothing wrong with anything James said. He said the guy Rosa Parks refused to giver her seat to on the bus was named James Blake, and he hoped he (so called ego-king) had done the name well. :eek: Gosh, I have never heard anything so arrogant in my life.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
There was nothing wrong with anything James said. He said the guy Rosa Parks refused to giver her seat to on the bus was named James Blake, and he hoped he (so called ego-king) had done the name well. :eek: Gosh, I have never heard anything so arrogant in my life.
I agree. I found it very interesting and appropriate - when you study the boycott- you normally hear of E.D. Nixon, Abernathy, Parks and King- but you never hear the name of the guy who demanded that she give up her seat. The Montgomery bus boycott was really where MLK started to get his starting as an activist too when he lead the Montgomery Improvement Association. Why would it be stroking the ego to say that you had the same name as an extreme bigot?

^^ Why would he be proud to be named after the jerk who was calling on Rosa Parks to give up her seat just because he was white and she wasn't? He should be ashamed of that name then, right?
He wasn't proud- it was just interesting and ironic. That is all. And it today (or now yesterday) was MLK Day- and so the piece of trivia was relevant.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
^^ Why would he be proud to be named after the jerk who was calling on Rosa Parks to give up her seat just because he was white and she wasn't? :confused: He should be ashamed of that name then, right?

(I didn't see the interview)
No, he said it was just something he had heard. But James (the tennis player) said he hoped he had improved the reputation of the name.

I don't think he should be ashamed of his own name. Should he change it just because some asshole also has the same name? My name is Danielle, and I was named after writer Danielle Steel, but just because I was, should I start writing the next Harry Potter series? :shrug:

I don't think this is as a big of a deal as everyone is making. It was a passive comment that lasted no more than 30 seconds of the entire interview.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts