Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From winning Paris last year and making semis in London finals (1400 points still left to defend this season) .. so likely to fall out of the TOP100; Has any other player, barring injury tumble so far before in 11 months??

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
He simply doesn’t have the fitness and stamina for singles anymore. He’s put too much weight on. Look at him almost has a double chin. I mean he’s never played more than two matches in any of the events he’s participated in and still looks gassed af after every match.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The latest in a long line of one season wonders. He's got the moves to dance with the very best, but he doesn't have what it takes to maintain it for more than 1 tournament.

I think he cares more about doubles now anyway.

·
23,063 Posts
I actually don't know. He did a rough start in Auckland (where he typically does well) then just not win much in each tournament he played in singles ever since. Many of them were 3 Setters so he was competitive at times. Based on the Race his best point is 45 (6 tournaments with that) -- that's VERY bad. Even Murray (currently Race #256) had a 90 in Washington this year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The latest in a long line of one season wonders. He's got the moves to dance with the very best, but he doesn't have what it takes to maintain it for more than 1 tournament.

I think he HAS to care about doubles by default; otherwise 2018 was a complete disaster.

·
23,063 Posts
@Lukasgigler How surreal that his history would've changed drastically if Edmund converted that match point -- he wouldn't have continued to win the tournament without saving that Match Point, and without winning the tournament, he wouldn't have been able to qualify for the ATP Finals where he got 400 more points. Of course, we don't know if those performance triggered complacency/burdened pressure in him. Whatever it is it is still shocking how few matches he has won this year even if he does have a slump. To tell the truth I think he's gone so low that those who keep taunting him right now are just plain mean IMO.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
@Lukasgigler How surreal that his history would've changed drastically if Edmund converted that match point -- he wouldn't have continued to win the tournament without saving that Match Point, and without winning the tournament, he wouldn't have been able to qualify for the ATP Finals where he got 400 more points.
Butterfly effect :)

I don't remember the matchpoint, but maybe it was 5cm out, so maybe those 5cm determined whole 2018, maybe without that he wouldn't win a doubles slam, without that who knows......

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,608 Posts
Even more bizarre when you realize that Edmund actually had a match point there in R2
And 5-1 up in the third.

I don't think Sock has won two matches in a row this year.

·
23,063 Posts
@FelipeL A butterfly effect that kept him in the Top 20, which enabled him to likely get entry and seeding for the Masters and Slams, which gave him a significant amount of money without winning much this season, all starting from getting back from a double break deficit after a medical time out (OK, maybe not exactly immediately after the medical time out I think).

·
Registered
4,068 Posts

Well...kind of.
He was a one season wonder in top 10 terms, but he entered the top 25 back in 2015, so he was fairly competitive for 3 years.

I think what makes it puzzling is that even though we know he is not really top 10 material, he shouldn't be outside of the top 100 (as he will very likely be in a few weeks). He should be at least top 50.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dimitrov has also quietly had a terrible year from winning Cincinnati and ATP Finals in 2017 .. to nothing in 2018!

·
23,063 Posts
IMO he should be a Top 30 regular at least, and people forgot how good he is versus the Top 20 before 2018. He was on course to be a Top 20 regular, but got shot up when he won Paris. Problem is this is the worst case of a slump I have seen from a player who just finished the previous year in the Top 10. I don't think he has stated any big injury issue and even then those who come back from injury usually climbs back in the Top 100 (Cuevas and L. Mayer being some examples).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts