Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huge victory for Jack Sock tonight. Huge victory in the sense of being an actual victory, the first since I think November 2018. He beat Radu Albot 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (2). On Live ATP rankings, he has now moved up 9,234 spots to #765.

Just a fluke win, to be followed by a string of losses for the next year, or is Sock on the comeback trail? Next up is Steve Johnson.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
Huge victory for Jack Sock tonight. Huge victory in the sense of being an actual victory, the first since I think November 2018. He beat Radu Albot 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (2). On Live ATP rankings, he has now moved up 9,234 spots to #765.

Just a fluke win, to be followed by a string of losses for the next year, or is Sock on the comeback trail? Next up is Steve Johnson.
Which live rankings is that? That arbitrary number comes for the maximum number of values they can store in a table. Sock came back into Top 1000 from not being ranked at all.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Albot was defending champion too. Ouch.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
If he retires today, he would still retire as Laver Cup GOAT and Team World GOAT, regardless.

He does not have to do this. He does not have to play ATP tour.

Reactions: Maranza

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Albot was abysmal in that match. Still, there's no doubt that Sock has the tools to get back being a good ATP player. But considering what a disgrace to the fans he's been for his entire career in terms of his effort/attitude, I kind of hope he doesn't.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Good for Sock, but I’m still hoping he’ll commit to doubles — he’s one of the best and c/would be dominant with the right partner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Glorious day for tennis.
Would like to see him back to form, his tennis has flaws but i found it entertaining. This could turn out to be just a fluke win against an out of form opponent, so let's just wait and see

·
Registered
179 Posts
Where did he come back from precisely? He came back from nowhere, didn't he? How many points did he have before he entered this tournament? You gotta tell me how someone with no point could come back from anywhere? I don't understand the title of this thread.
Anywho, I'm glad that he finally won. Though his title in Paris two years ago is a complete fluke, I have to admit he was a decent top 50 player if not a top 10. He had a huge forehand, who had the speed of a jet when it was on. He had an ugly backhand off of which he missed 50% of the time. It was sometimes even laughable. He had wins over some good players including Kei Nishikori, though he was dead tied when he lost that one.
I'm afraid Sock will have to wait another few weeks or even months before he gets his next win unless he moves to the challenger's circuit. He was lucky enough to be given a WC into this tournament and he is likedly to receive another in the next few tounaments in the U.S., which I believe he deserves consideing the contribution he has made to the USTA over the years. He's unlikely to make most of these opportunities though.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Pretty embarrassing how he tried to impersonate Murray from last year with the tears afterwards. I hate the Scot, but needs to be said that at least that one really was injured for a long time and won a tournament. Sock won a single match lulz while still playing like garbage most of the time. And he wasn't injured. He just sucked in singles and started playing doubles. What a fraud he is Jack Suck.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Steve Johnson will rip him a new one in round 2. Real man vs. sissy this match. There's more class in Johnston's stache than there has ever been in Suck's entire body.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Good to see actually. I'm far from a fan, but it's been quite sad to see a guy of Sock's obvious talent languishing at futures level results for the past 12 months. Hopefully this result is the catalyst for a return to the top 100 at least.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Good to see Sock finally winning a match, even if it was by luck or something. May just be a fluke for now but it’s a start to hopefully him getting at least back in top 100.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts