Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m watching the Sock-Robredo match at the moment, and it just occurred to me that his forehand has a lot of similarities with Ryan Harrison´s. Neither of them have much of a backswing to speak of and they willingly seem to hit the shot with very little room. What I mean is that even when they have time to adjust their position well, they end up hitting with their elbow almost glued to their body. It looks so awkward and forced. Harrison´s forehand is even worse because he often leaves the left hand so close to his body as well, making it even worse.

It just seems that having so little room for the shot, it is not possible to create that many angles. They both end up compensating it with a lot of wrist action, but it just looks really forced and unnatural. And when they are in a hurry with their shot, there is hardly any room to adjust the shot, because their swing is so rushed and their optimal hitting zone is so close to the body to begin with. I´m just curious, is there someone at the USTA who deliberately teaches this kind of technique to young players? Or are they copying the Roddick-forehand? Because come to think of it, it´s not totally unlike Roddick´s technique. And I´m not talking about the early Roddick-forehand when he could actually hit the ball, I´m talking about the latter-Roddick, who ended up just brushing and looping the ball. Just curious. Because not having a decent forehand is ending up very costly for both these guys.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Andy Roddick kind of had a similar motion too, did he not?

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
idk about his forehand, but his behaviour today... :facepalm:

·
28,452 Posts
I thought his forehand was his main strength. Many people seem to say that he has one of the best forehands in the game...Hmm

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think there may be an issue with USTA coaching here. It's hard to say without having much in depth knowledge of their methods, but there alway seems to be a uniformity in American coaching where certain ideas get stuck into the coaching mindset irrespective of their true merits. For instance, there always seems to be a deep loathing of one handed backhands from American coaches, when undoubtedly some kids will be more suited to playing that stroke if they can be allowed a little more time to develop it and build the strength for it.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I thought his forehand was his main strength. Many people seem to say that he has one of the best forehands in the game...Hmm
He certainly has one of the biggest, but that hardly means much if he misses with it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy Roddick kind of had a similar motion too, did he not?
Yeah, they look quite alike. And actually Sock´s backhand has some similarities with Roddick´s backhand as well. They both take the racket back pretty close to their body, with the racket in a very high position. There would have been quite a few better rolemodels to copy than Roddick, when it comes to groundstrokes!

Was there something wrong with Socks right arm in match vs Robredo? He received massage to it after 1st set.
I only saw the match from the end of the first set on, but at the second set it looked like he was just not feeling well.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
if you check all american players, they look like they all came from the same coach. something is really wrong here.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you check all american players, they look like they all came from the same coach. something is really wrong here.
It is bizarre. USA had some of the best baseline players of their time, like Connors, Agassi, Courier, Chang etc. There must be a lot know-how at the USTA, so how it´s even possible to produce players who can barely keep the ball in play, is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Jack Sock and Ryan Harrison both have big forehands and weak backhands. Wasn't it Nick Bolleterri who pioneered the practice of running around the backhand side and hitting an explosive forehand? I suppose Sock's forehand could be more consistent, but he needs to strengthen his backhand and make it a weapon as well.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Good analysis, by the way, Dougie.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Sock's forehand is lethal, it's his backhand that's the issue.

·
Registered
590 Posts
afaik Sock is the only guy in the top 100 who has a true western grip on his forehand. And it works for him.

The backhand is the disaster, he should have a one-hander :(

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts