Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impressive Shapo Today.

Seems like the road to QF is quiet clear after Nishikori lost.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Great tournament, only Nadal out and it would be perfect for me. But it would too good to happen though.

Happy to see that Shapovalov found his confidence again. He will be very dangerous for everyone here.

Edit: Kei wouldn't be a threat for Shapo playing in that way.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stellar performance from Shapo.
Great serving and stunningly deep and hard forehands/backhands.
Cilic never stood a chance.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I thought Shapovalov was very good against Johnson, but he can often throw in a stinker after a good performance. Good to see some consistency.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Keeping status of 2nd best player in Canada is Shapo's biggest motivation.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Recently I was thinking about Shapo's situation: he's almost 20 yo and hasn't improved his ranking for 10 months. I was wondering when he'll make another step forward: has this moment just come?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I thought Shapovalov was very good against Johnson, but he can often throw in a stinker after a good performance. Good to see some consistency.
thats the only thing that worries me, his flashy backhand is prone to break down. would like to see him shed his streaky nature. he's good for now though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It's starting to come together. Maybe Cilic didn't have his best day, but Denis was outstanding today.
Great returns!
Only one win away from possibly playing Federer for the first time.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Recently I was thinking about Shapo's situation: he's almost 20 yo and hasn't improved his ranking for 10 months. I was wondering when he'll make another step forward: has this moment just come?
He jumped up from 43 all the way up to 23.

We recently looked at the tracks of all the players who are up and coming. Shapovalov is right along with Federer's pace. He's doing just fine.

Shapovalov is on the same pace as Stefanos, and Zverev, as for 'second best', he's not that far behind Milos. He will not be second for long.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
He jumped up from 43 all the way up to 23.

We recently looked at the tracks of all the players who are up and coming. Shapovalov is right along with Federer's pace. He's doing just fine.

Shapovalov is on the same pace as Stefanos, and Zverev, as for 'second best', he's not that far behind Milos. He will not be second for long.
Comparing age-related pace (ranking progression, tournament-progression, etc) doesn't seem terribly useful at predicting certain degrees of success, such as winning a slam, becoming world number one, and so on.

I think we would be all best served not to pay attention to this kind of data except for statistical purposes.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Cilic looked rather sluggish out there, seemingly avoiding any serious stress on his knee. Which is understandable. Other than that he pretty much was his regular scared self. Nothing really worked for him. Shapovalov, otoh, was in the zone. Twice as mobile and twice as effective on return, despite Cilic serving at relatively high percents. His own first serve remained mostly untouchable. His level this week has been encouraging so far, but I'd rather stay cautiously optimistic than attempt any sorts of predictions. Another big server awaits in the next round.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Oh god. We're hitting cringe levels that shouldn't even be possible
Thanks for the warning! Now I know not to play it. :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts