Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canas def. Monaco 6-3 6-7 6-2

Monaco saved MP at *4:5 in the 2nd set. At 2:1* (30-40) in the third Monaco had a row with the linesman who overruled own decision. After that Monaco completely lost concentration and rapidly the next 4 games :help:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Well done Willy.

Big man Bernandes made both players happy in this match.

·
yawn
10,517 Posts
Re: IW R3: Canas def Monaco 6-3 6-7(1) 6-2

:woohoo: :woohoo: I'm gonna be late for work but it was worth it :banana:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

This was an awesome match, the absolute definition of a slugfest, until 2 all in the 3rd. Umpire over-ruled a call and shafted Monaco and he just threw in the towel mentally, winning one point for the rest of the match.

Ashame because it was absolutely entertaining stuff.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts

Wow- Monaco just totally mentally imploded after a bad overrule by Carlos at 2-all. A real shame because he was playing really well from the middle of the second set to that point and really seemed to have momentum in his favor.

Canas was getting about everything and Pico had some very good stats at net. (14 for 14 in the second set for instance). But I wish it hadn't ended in that way. I hope Monaco learns from this. Outside of the last four games- a pretty fun match.

I did like that despite however upset Monaco was and how much he became rattled- he still gave Willy a hug, shook Carlos' hand, and didn't stay to berate the ump like some players do after such a match.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Monaco :smash:

Congrats Willy! :rocker2:

·
124,507 Posts

First time that Pico has won a set against Willy as well. Very tough battle as it was expected.

Willy in the 1st set did make a lot of cheap errors by his standards when he had the break points.

Now he plays Djokovic in the next round.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Re: Canas def. Monaco 6-3 6-7 6-2

Pretty much the umpire ruined at the end of the match.
Shame that Monaco couldn't get away from that poor line call.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Canas played very well. Monaco wasn't able to get over that overrule by an umpire (I think the ball was out, but who knows, I wasn't there). Self destruction. Too bad. It was a great match.

·
Registered
23,711 Posts

Bernardes :retard:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

The ball was out, they showed a replay.

But still, it's just one point, it was still 2 all. I don't know why he decided to completely implode and throw in the towel from that point on.

·
124,507 Posts

But still, it's just one point, it was still 2 all. I don't know why he decided to completely implode and throw in the towel from that point on.
Well at the top of the game, it's the mentally strongest that do the best. It's hard playing a fellow countryman, especially one as courageous as Cañas and he has never beaten him before. Tension and pression do funny things to people, got to manage these situations though.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It was silly & incomprehensible behaviour by Monaco. He lost this match like a mug.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts

One thing I like about Monaco is that he wears his heart on his sleeve without being rude to the other players. He always plays with high emotion. But this time- it really took him out. I was surprised at how much it did because he was able to recover at the USO after he lost a point when the ball fell out of his pocket for the second time during the Nole match. During the changeover before the last game tonight he seemed to be trying to calm himself down but it didn't work.

Oh well, at least he showed some very good play during the match that imo bodes well for the next few months. He really has grown as a player on the court- now he just needs to work on keeping it together to progress to the next level.

Well done to Willy- he was getting some incredible gets and had some nice winners as well.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
canas will be a more interesting matchup for djokovic although i hadn't the chance to see him this year.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I think that just broke his concentration and he could never get back in that zone.

When you've been on court for two and a half hours against a ruthless ball retriever fighting tooth and nail for each point, it only takes so much to make you lose it.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts

It was silly & incomprehensible behaviour by Monaco. He lost this match like a mug.
It might have been silly but it´s perfectly comprehensible. Bernardes shrugged off at many doubtful calls, he overruled a few ones against Mónaco and the last one was a clear shit call against him when he had the momentum on his side.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
canas will be a more interesting matchup for djokovic although i hadn't the chance to see him this year.
As weird as it might sound, I disagree with this. Mónaco playing like he did today during the 2nd half of the 2nd set and the first half of the 3rd would give him a handful of problems even in this surface

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
As weird as it might sound, I disagree with this. Mónaco playing like he did today during the 2nd half of the 2nd set and the first half of the 3rd would give him a handful of problems even in this surface
Totally. Monaco's match against him at the US Open was great, and Monaco was playing much better than that tonight. Canas has no weapons to hurt Djoke, it's just going to be a repeat of the Miami final. Ashame Pico decided to completely implode.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts