Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Easy peasy for Roger...the match was lot more one-sided than what the score suggests.

Stan was bad except for last 4-5 games of the match. Roger's ROS for a change was actually decent, forehand also looked good, passing shots were bad...tried to be too cheeky in the end with some of the dropshots. I was so glad when Stan won against Fucsovics...Fucsovics would have been much tougher matchup than Stan. This was probably the one of the most easiest and stress free matches Roger played in recent times....didn't even face a BP.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The early 2017 GOATerer is coming back.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Great match by Roger. :yeah:

Stan was not that awful, he was just flat. It's not surprising after coming off an emotional roller-coaster like the Fucsovics match. The battle was epic, the atmosphere was electric, and even though Fucsovics was the underdog, many people wanted to cheer for Stan since he's coming back from injury. Stan rallied the crowd to support him and they obliged. But it's nearly impossible to rally the crowd to support you against Federer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stefanos was wrong, it's not just Nadal that has the talent to make you play bad.
Djokovic and Federer also have this talent, and Federer displayed it this match making Wawrinka look like a journeyman.
Federer never in danger of losing this match. Now 22-0 against Wawrinka off clay.

·
23,063 Posts
@Clay Death Rules I wonder if it is legal to play a looping recording of "Come on Stan!" in the chair to pump himself up every changeover (probably not though, seeing it can be exploited for coaching), hehe.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Fed just has his number. Stan played pretty well for the first few games, fell apart for 35 minutes, then played OK at the end. He really struggles with variety and against a good server.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Win #1190 for Fed. Fed marching on.

Fed's draw has opened up quite a bit with Edmund and Shapo/Hurcasz. He's defending finals points, so a SF should be excellent for him. With zero Miami points his ranking would stabilize. Anything better than that would be a bonus.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
A somewhat anticlimactic match. Stan was not very sharp. I reckon, partially thanks to his previous grueling rounds. Partially because Federer rushed him mercilessly from the very first point. He had no time to prepare his shots and was spraying errors left, right and center. His forward movement also was tested a lot by drop shots, though I think Fed ended up losing most of these points. However, their psychological effect was probably more important. Pretty much a one sided affair throughout.

He is currently #37 in LR. High hopes he'll be back to top 15 by the end of clay season.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Stefanos was wrong, it's not just Nadal that has the talent to make you play bad.
Djokovic and Federer also have this talent, and Federer displayed it this match making Wawrinka look like a journeyman.
Federer never in danger of losing this match. Now 22-0 against Wawrinka off clay.
Well yes, but actually no. He’s 18:0 against stan off clay and 4:3 against him on clay

Stan was serving much better in the second set, but Federer got most returns in play. I’ve never seen federer so solid from the baseline. Just 9 unforced errors from which 4 came in the first two games where he mishit a couple approach shots each. And he was impeccable on serve, not even taken to deuce. But also showed how bad wawrinka‘s Return really is.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Yeah, Stan's also chasing 500/100. Hopefully he will keep playing well and picking up wins so that he can get a seed for the French.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Clinical performance, several notches up from Gowowowzykckxxz. Stan played some great shots but some stinkers also, that will probably be the pattern from now on as he's nearly 34 himself. 59 minutes is rather epic. Edmund will be quite nervous now.... and Nadal.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
@JediFed I get the 500 part, but what's the 100?
100 slam wins. All 3x slam winners save Stan and Guga have both 500/100. Stan is very unusual in how few overall matches he has won.

The only other one with fewer is Guga, who has just 358 wins and 65 wins at slams.

Stan still lags in titles, 16 with 3 of them being slams, even Guga has 3 and 20.

I have really been hoping for Stan to 'fill out' his resume a bit better. He was projected out to only get about 350 wins, halfway through his career but he's really been plugging away.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
100 slam wins. All 3x slam winners save Stan and Guga have both 500/100. Stan is very unusual in how few overall matches he has won.

The only other one with fewer is Guga, who has just 358 wins and 65 wins at slams.

Stan still lags in titles, 16 with 3 of them being slams, even Guga has 3 and 20.

I have really been hoping for Stan to 'fill out' his resume a bit better. He was projected out to only get about 350 wins, halfway through his career but he's really been plugging away.
That’s because stan barely won anything before 2012. I didn’t even know this player existed until his Cincinnati semi vs Federer in 12.

(To clarify I really started watching tennis regularly at us open 2011 with a break in 2013)

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
That’s because stan barely won anything before 2012. I didn’t even know this player existed until his Cincinnati semi vs Federer in 12.
Yep. Stan is the oldest slam debutant to pick up multiple slams, and by a fair margin too. To put it in perspective, Raonic is the same age now as Stan was when he made his run.

Stan should be playing all the mickey mouse tourneys to get his ranking up and grab a few more titles.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts