Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filip is a much better player then his current ranking depicts. A lot of breaks, a lot of nice rallies between the two but also some sloppy play at times. David is not in the greatest form but still a nice confidence boost beating a seeded player at a masters for Krajinovic.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Without all his injuries, Krajinovic would have stayed in the top 30, when he is fit, he is a really good player and nice to watch but it is very frustrating to see David playing at the moment. I don't think that Thomas Johansson was the right coach for him. It is too soon to tell it, but the first match with his new coach was very embarrassing. 6 tournaments this year, already 4 lost in his first match, clay season is approaching where David has almost all his points to defend (except Cincinnati), it is really time to find some confidence back.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Kind of saw this one coming but slightly surprised at how comprehensive the victory was. Nice win for Krajinovic, who needs all the ranking points he can get.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
That injury Goffin suffer back at RG 2017 really changed his trajectory. He did make WTF finals that year, but still, outside of that, I just can't think of any noteworthy run by him.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Without all his injuries, Krajinovic would have stayed in the top 30, when he is fit, he is a really good player and nice to watch but it is very frustrating to see David playing at the moment. I don't think that Thomas Johansson was the right coach for him. It is too soon to tell it, but the first match with his new coach was very embarrassing. 6 tournaments this year, already 4 lost in his first match, clay season is approaching where David has almost all his points to defend (except Cincinnati), it is really time to find some confidence back.
Wait, you mean Tomas Johansson was Goffin's coach before? He's currently training Krajinovic, so presumably had inside info on how best to defeat the Belgian :secret:

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Wait, you mean Tomas Johansson was Goffin's coach before? He's currently training Krajinovic, so presumably had inside info on how best to defeat the Belgian :secret:
Nope, Johansson worked with Krajinovic for around three months, then unexpectedly dumped him over the phone, allegedly because he wanted to spend more time with his family, only to reunite with Goffin short time later. :lol: So this is sort of payback win I guess. :p

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
When was the last time Goffin played a good match ? Two years ago ?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Nope, Johansson worked with Krajinovic for around three months, then unexpectedly dumped him over the phone, allegedly because he wanted to spend more time with his family, only to reunite with Goffin short time later. :lol: So this is sort of payback win I guess. :p
yes kind of weird situation. One month ago in Montpellier, Johansson was Krajinovic's coach when he easily beat David there, and one month later for his first tournament with Johansson as coach, David plays Krajinovic again. I think that both David and his coach Thomas Johansson would have preferred to play another guy in the draw.
Anyhow, as many people in Belgium, I don't think Johansson was the coach he should have started to work with, they are both very introvert, and David already worked with Thomas in the past for a short collaboration as a second choice. David needs a complete different talk and approach or he won't progress anymore and won't come back to his best

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Goffin is done. Will spend rest of time between 20-60

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I knew Johansson was coaching Krajinovic at the AO, had no idea he'd worked with Goffin before or had since returned to coach him :scratch:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
yes kind of weird situation. One month ago in Montpellier, Johansson was Krajinovic's coach when he easily beat David there, and one month later for his first tournament with Johansson as coach, David plays Krajinovic again. I think that both David and his coach Thomas Johansson would have preferred to play another guy in the draw.
Anyhow, as many people in Belgium, I don't think Johansson was the coach he should have started to work with, they are both very introvert, and David already worked with Thomas in the past for a short collaboration as a second choice. David needs a complete different talk and approach or he won't progress anymore and won't come back to his best
David is a formed great player, smart, tactically sound. Not much any coach can do but give some experienced advice or slightly improve very fine details. His problem is somewhat limiting light frame and still recovering injury. He was wearing that support sleeve not long ago and is still serving puffballs which is a confidence downer. Nole took half of 2018 to come in form and recover. David might be better after some time too.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
That injury Goffin suffer back at RG 2017 really changed his trajectory. He did make WTF finals that year, but still, outside of that, I just can't think of any noteworthy run by him.
that has absolutely nothing to do with his current failures though

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
that has absolutely nothing to do with his current failures though
Indeed, the best tennis I have ever seen from him was during the fall of 2017, especially both singles of the Davis Cup final, 0 set dropped to Lucas Pouille and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
The unfortunate eye injury in Rotterdam the following year stopped his progression but I am surprised his level never recovered since.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Since the time when he had problems with a shoulder, David can't find a consistency and confidence. He has had a single good matches recently, but also bad ones like yesterday.
I think it would be better for him to play more in smaller tournaments on clay and got some wins. Clay season is coming so this is his chance to find better form.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts