Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expected outcome. Looks like Humbert just doesn't have it outside small events in France. 50% first serve, 20% BP conversion and 0% fighting spirit in the second set. Marterer wasn't particularly strong either, but easily enough for Bumbert. Anderson next and Maxi may have a small chance given the African's recent form.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Expected? Quite a surprise for me, Marterer has been a flop for a long time and Ugo has been really good recently.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I am surprised by that win. Max has been way off since that good match against
Rafael in Roland Garros. Has been 7-20 since and was not able to defend a lot of
points. He is actually still in dire straits, because his ranking close to #100 is not
getting him into all the tournaments for granted he wants to play.
He needs some more points quite desperately, since his 90 points in Munich drop
off soon and with just 1R or 2R he won't defend that.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Not entirely surprised by the result of this battle between two NextGen lefties. Three years apart in age, I think both Marterer and Humbert show that progression on the tour is not necessarily one smooth, steady rise to the top. Rather, it's often a winding journey with peaks and dips along the way.

Several months ago it was the German who was at a CH of 45 while his opponent was languishing well outside the top 100. Humbert's been on a great streak of form but it won't last forever, plus he's still inexperienced at this level. His current ranking will give him more opportunities at the bigger tournaments, whereas Marterer urgently needs to stop a slide that could strand him lower than 100.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts