·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marinko you legend you are on your way to great things :yeah:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
I still don't rate Matosevic that highly, but even as a hater of him, we all have to take into account the run he's having right now. He hasn't been beating world-beaters but he's been winning consistently, and convincingly most of the time. He was 0-4 on the season going into the Caloundra challenger and out of the top 200 and has now won 14 of 15 matches. I think this turn-around started when he won a very tight QF match over Sebastian Rieschick in Caloundra, 5-7 7-6(5) 6-4. If he lost that match, I doubt he'd be going on a run now. He's winning the big points in matches consistently which shows he's very confident and has a lot of self-belief.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up in the MD, because I do think these courts suit his game. He can hit through the slow courts in Indian Wells and the high-elevation should help his serve.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Doubt that............he isn't going to do what Dodig did on clay in Barcelona or on grass in s-Hertogenbosch. Dodig probably won't even be top 100 by July, though, so on that respect I agree, because I doubt MM will ever maintain a top 100 level...........should he ever make it.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
my mate was at this match... i spoke to him afterwards and he felt that matosevic was playing top 15 tennis out there today... of course, you can only look as good as your opponent lets you, but hey you have to take the good reviews when they are coming your way in my opinion...

and i agree with Filo.V that marinko will be top 100 for 3 or 4 years by the looks...

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
:sport:

It's a shame he had such a sucky Australian swing or else he'd be TOP 100 by now.
yeah i hear you... but, now that you mention it, with the strong run of form he is having now suggests that he could well be saving the 2013 aussie swing to make a push for the top 10... he will be looking to be top 20 by november and with no points to defend in january i wouldn't be surprised if this was his chosen strategy...

:clap2:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Marinko is an interesting cat. He's really only had proper top level coaching for a couple of years and came up outside the Tennis Oz system. Hewitt rates him highly and he's shown that when he has his head together he can really play. People look at his age and figure he's just having a lucky run, but in tennis terms he's really just started learning stuff other players of the same age figured out 3-4 years before. I hope he breaks through cos he's a nice guy off court as well, even though he's a bit crazy on it.

·
Registered
70,229 Posts
MM :woohoo:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Sneak peak movie released August 2012

Toronto 2R: Matosevic def. Nadal 0-6, 7-6(146), 7-6(5).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts