Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few players arent happy with this. But i wonder who MTF thinks are the biggest losser.

In my book Nole is the 1st. Because he was the clear favorite. Hasnt lost a match this year and almost a surebet to win and tie Rafa with 35 Masters. On the good side he wont losse to many points because he defended just a few.
Thiem 2nd. He will losse 1000 points and cant defent his title from last year.
Rafa 3rd. He has a SF to defend and the diference to Nole will be bigger. But maybe its not so negative.

Federer? While he losses 600 points. He could be the biggest winner

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Thiem, but hes not losing the 3rd spot by 15 points according to a poster here so not biggie (out of top players)

At the botton all those who managed to get a spot and spent money

Reactions: Fargif

·
Registered
11,232 Posts
Well, everyone loses points. We will have to see how Miami reacts, but if Florida decides to declare a public health emergency, then expect Miami to get cancelled, too.

Then the ATP will have to think about whether or not they are OK with the players losing points and no way to recoup them.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
It's not about losing points it's more, for me the monetary loss for these guys. Guys like thiem, novak and Nadal can handle tje hit . It's nothing to guys like them. But for tje lower ranked guys. Really anyone not inside the top 25 this is gonna duck. Ofcourse the biggest losers are the guys who were attempting to qualify . Even a first round loss in qualies probably would have netted them w couple grand . Now they leave here with nothing but still had to pay yo travel, for hotel. For those guys it's a heavy loss that hurts . Tjey are the biggest losers

·
|
16,427 Posts
It makes no difference who is #1 now, because nobody cares how many weeks Djokovic is #1 for, except for his fans.
The only time #1 matters is in November, because Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are all tied at 5-year-end-#1s.

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
It makes no difference who is #1 now, because nobody cares how many weeks Djokovic is #1 for, except for his fans.
The only time #1 matters is in November, because Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are all tied at 5-year-end-#1s.
Weeks at No. 1 is a record many people care about. The ATP talks about the record all the time. You don't care because Nadal is no where near the record.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Nole will now have more time to be one with nature, be with his family, medidiate, consult Pepe and continue increasing flexibility in his joints while his weeks at no. 1 continue ticking.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For Rafa this will be his longest strecht without a major injury.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I am the biggest loser. Going to California for the first time during week of IW, flight/hotel already booked, planning to go watch a day or two of tennis along the way, then they pull this absolutely retarded decision on us. After me I suppose Thiem is the next biggest loser.

Reactions: Fedjokodal

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,934 Posts
I am the biggest loser. Going to California for the first time during week of IW, flight/hotel already booked, planning to go watch a day or two of tennis along the way, then they pull this absolutely retarded decision on us. After me I suppose Thiem is the next biggest loser.
I would ask for a refund and better stay at home since there's no reason to go to Cali now. Quite the contrary, they're a hotspot in US and by the end of this week they'll get around 200 corona cases at least according to projection. Not a good time to travel, unless it's unavoidable.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,934 Posts
As for the question of this thread: There's no bigger loser than all those fans and crowds who were looking forward to that for a long time down there in California and anywhere else. In fact everyone is a loser here. Sponsors, fans, journalists, caterers, touristic branches, any player and so on. This corona crisis is making any of us a loser and we're just trying to limit the damage, so no more elder or sick people die from it. Sometimes sports is secondary.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A few players arent happy with this. But i wonder who MTF thinks are the biggest losser.

In my book Nole is the 1st. Because he was the clear favorite. Hasnt lost a match this year and almost a surebet to win and tie Rafa with 35 Masters. On the good side he wont losse to many points because he defended just a few.
Thiem 2nd. He will losse 1000 points and cant defent his title from last year.
Rafa 3rd. He has a SF to defend and the diference to Nole will be bigger. But maybe its not so negative.

Federer? While he losses 600 points. He could be the biggest winner
Players are not huge losers as their ranking points will not be lost according to a leading law firm. Lawyers will be making millions over all this.

Nadal was probably favourite but for him after all the exhibitions he has done this will be helpful for him less stress on his knees. Its bad for Djokovic as he needed a deep run in IW to show his elbow can withstand higher bouncing conditions.

The real losers are fans. Shocking decision and Indian Wells should be ashamed.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Weeks at #1 reflects dominance better than year end #1.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Oh the biggest loser here is Jack Sock for reasons that are visible

·
|
16,427 Posts
Weeks at #1 reflects dominance better than year end #1.
The problem for weeks at #1 is that almost nobody remembers how many weeks each player has.
Even most commentators can't tell you off the top of their head.
So its not worth much, whereas year-end-#1 is easy to remember, Rafa-Fed-Djok 5-each.
Plus everybody knows about Rafa's huge history of injuries, so that makes the weeks not matter much as it was all reliant on Rafa's injuries.

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
11,080 Posts
Do not know who is the biggest looser but all the people in the staff, that will not get any work and any money are loosing a lot.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The problem for weeks at #1 is that almost nobody remembers how many weeks each player has.
So its not worth much, whereas year-end-#1 is easy to remember, Rafa-Fed-Djok 5-each.
Plus everybody knows about Rafa's huge history of injuries, so that makes the weeks not matter much as it was all reliant on Rafa's injuries.
*Huge history of play style induced injuries.

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
It's not about the exact number. It's about who is in the lead. And everyone can tell you that Federer is the leader, Sampras is next, then Djokovic.....and Nadal is no where to be found.

Do you think people remember how many points Kobe/LeBron/Michael Jordan scored off of the top of their head? No, but their position on the points leader board is what is discussed, not the exact number of points.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts