Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sinner replicating Medvedev's patheticness, went from 4-2 to 4-6 0-4 losing 8 games straight. Makes the prospects of making the YEC ever slimmer. Fritz is on the rise I guess.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Great win for Fritz. It would be great to see him go even further and really breakthrough after being on the cusp of the top 20 for the last couple of years. I think if you beat a top 10 and then a top 15 player, it is probably that you are playing well rather than that they are playing poorly.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Finally someone made him pay for the terrible serving. Fritz was killing Sinner on the 2nd serve returns, and that resulted in Jannik losing confidence in the rest of his game which led to that 8 game freefall. But I didn't expect this result, Fritz usually doesn't impress me but he hung in there today and let Sinner implode.

·
25,769 Posts
Great result and may be a breakthrough one for Fritz -- he has been meandering it seems in the Top 30 in the rankings but let's see if this could give him confidence maybe to push to the Top 15 or so.

·
Premium Member
29,713 Posts
Fritz is such a weird player. Sometimes he gives you the impression he absolutely sucks as a tennis player. Especially on clay where he can't move for shit.

Other times he is surprisingly solid. Never in doubt that he should peak here though, on this weird ass court.

Terrible stuff from Sinner though, who needs to keep working on his consistency. I would have liked to see him in YEC but that seems like a stretch now

Reactions: Mateya

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hurkacz and Ruud to qualify for the last 2 ATP Finals spot now. Ruud can breathe a sigh of relief after squandering a very doable 360 points. Sinner was never going far with that draw anyway.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Fritz was playing very well but I really feel Sinner let him into it with absolutely woeful serving. His first serve percentage was down at like 33% at one point in the first set. And Fritz was really attacking the second serve well. Sinner really needs to have a more reliable serve, it will help him in those moments he's not playing well. If he's not serving well it affects the rest of his game too cos he feels he needs to really go for it and is less patient. Improve the serve and he will go far, he's already great in return games.

·
Premium Member
29,796 Posts
Sinner is disappointing lately.
Despite his 3 smaller titles this year, it is the bigger events where he really messed up his chances to get some more points for getting into Top 10.
In fact he isn't too far from Top 10 in level, but always crumbled whenever he needed to show that he is well inside that pool.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Fritz is such a weird player. Sometimes he gives you the impression he absolutely sucks as a tennis player. Especially on clay where he can't move for shit.

Other times he is surprisingly solid. Never in doubt that he should peak here though, on this weird ass court.

Terrible stuff from Sinner though, who needs to keep working on his consistency. I would have liked to see him in YEC but that seems like a stretch now
Hurkacz and Ruud to qualify for the last 2 ATP Finals spot now. Ruud can breathe a sigh of relief after squandering a very doable 360 points. Sinner was never going far with that draw anyway.
Sinner is second seed in Antwerp next week(only Félix Auger-Aliassime is ranked higher), and both Hurkcaz and Ruud take the week off. If Sinner was to win, he would be in the top 8.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Sinner is second seed in Antwerp next week(only Félix Auger-Aliassime is ranked higher), and both Hurkcaz and Ruud take the week off. If Sinner was to win, he would be in the top 8.
He can't overtake both of them even if he wins Antwerp. How the heck did you calculate that. Ruud is 400 points over him while Hurkacz is over 350 now and will be at least 500 over if he manages to win his QF. Antwerp also has a strong draw so I highly doubt winning would be a walk in the park.

·
justice for all
19,596 Posts
These mini great runs of form from Fritz always come out of nowhere. I think he usually plays better on American soil.

Bummer for Sinner but he already got lucky with a W/O vs Isner.

·
Registered
23,746 Posts
Not only his best ever tournament in terms of the result (first Masters QF and never made it past R3 in a slam which is terrible given his ranking), but also in terms of the opposition beaten, slaying Berrettini and Sinner back to back. Still hard to see this as a breakthrough rather than an outlier, but we'll see

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
Not a bad result considering how Fritz is playing but still absolutely shameless just like Medvedev to go from 4-2 to 0-4 at this level.

·
Registered
23,746 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts