Mens Tennis Forums banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
Listening to Dimitrov in the on-court interview made me realize how difficult it is to maintain your level and motivation when you have physical issues.
Hopefully Grigor could work on his fitness in the off season, so he would return to Top 20 next year where he belongs.

·
Premium Member
11,743 Posts
Yeah, people saying it’s like Dimitrov got Med exposed, but the truth is Med got himself exposed and just Dimitrov played his tennis comfortably. It’s not like Dimi pushed Med playing bad or something.
Dimitrov started to control the pace of the game better and got his FH dialed in. Medvedev's poor serving did obviously help him in return games.

Would still hold back a little with the praises (how Dimitrov should've/would've won this and that). His game remains still somewhat limited for beating the fields on a consistent basis. Serve not the most potent (as someone said, the slower pace worked against Medvedev's deep return position; but not all stand so far back), and neither the BH. Would he be able to slice through every opponent, doubt it (I expect Zverev e.g. to have his number). Kudos for finding a mode/pattern that worked today anyway.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Daniil on Grigor's finish: "About Grigor, I have not much to say. He played second part of the match better than anybody did against me in US Open that I won. So again, playing this level, I don't see him losing to anybody, but let's see the result."

• Wow
Reactions: MuzzahLovah

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
Grigor's talent and variety really exposed Medvedev's limited game today. If Grigor had a bit more mental strength, he would have slams by now. When he's on and he's playing with confidence, he is a danger to anyone.
He really should have at least 2 slam finals now, even if he didn't manage to win them (e.g. even if he beats Nadal in 2017 AO semi, Federer/as bad match-up would've waited in the final).
Maybe fast HC being his best surface he should have done better in recent 2 USOs and AOs.

No, I said that Grigor could have won more in a more favorable circumstances. But I can see that you are insulting him - player who has had great success in his career. Number 3 in the world and many others when the top 4 were in top shape.
He reached that after winning YEC in 2017 where half of Top 10 got injured and gave up basically the 2nd part of their season. After he had a mediocre year from 2018 RG till end of season he couldn't even stay in Top 10, but that would have been his goal with as much talent as he has. Since then he's been struggling with consistency and fitness issues. Here's hoping that at least from the fitness side he would improve for next year, also getting more consistent.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Dimitrov started to control the pace of the game better and got his FH dialed in.

Would still hold back a little with the praises (how Dimitrov should've/would've won this and that). His game remains still somewhat limited for beating the fields on a consistent basis. Serve not the most potent (as someone said, the slower pace worked against Medvedev's deep return position; but not all stand so far back), and neither the BH. Would he be able to slice through every opponent, doubt it (I expect Zverev e.g. to have his number). Kudos for finding a mode/pattern that worked today anyway.
Yeah Dimitrov played great after 1:4 in the second set, I'm not denying that, but cause and effect were somewhat misleading.
What I mean is it's not like Dimitrov changed his tactics or something to push Medvedev, but it's Medvedev who let Dimitrov play great and better because his serve and precision were suddenly gone.
After Dimi getting his momentum, it's hard for Med to break it because he couldn't raise his level enough to do that.
Unlike Med said in the interview, I don't see Dimitrov winning against Hurkacz unless Hurkacz does the same thing that Med did.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Imagine losing to 30 y.o Dimugtrov in ur prime...lulz

• Angry
Reactions: FedererBulgaria

·
justice for all
19,575 Posts
WTF happen? I went to sleep when Medvedev broke in the 2nd and was getting ready for another Daniil Hubert clash…

·
Registered
23,738 Posts
I pointed out that Medvedev looked a bit off against McDonald, but not quite pissing away a set and a double break lead off...

·
Premium Member
29,713 Posts
Oh man, as a tried & true Fedfan with a reasonable attitude I would've expected you to be astute about the workings of tennis. This is a bummer. For the sake of correctness, Federer never did have any problems with pushers including servebot pushers when it really mattered in his prime; beating him entailed either hitting him off the court or oppressively pinning him into BH corner, or rather a combination of both. High-octane tennis was required either way. Federer would dominate rallies with the forehand and reset BH-to-BH exchanges with the slice Medvedev would massively struggle with due to his height. Ditto Nadal. Their prime game is an absolute killer for Meddy. And yes, Nadal was barely above krap either by historic slam-winning standards or his own former best showings (if the recent dearth of quality tennis has dulled your memories, I definitely suggest a rewatch), yet Medvedev had to redline (doing uncharacteristically well at net and increasing aggression from the baseline) for a set and a half and rely on Nadal not finding the next gear just to make it close.

Medvedev is obviously a better class of player than Dimitrov as he gets much more out of his game and is a lot more consistent. That doesn't contradict Greg having access to a higher peak, just that he only displayed it like three times and was still felled by mental weakness.
As for the last paragraph - like I said. Extremely short bursts of great tennis can hardly even be described as someone's "peak". Playing amazing tennis for one set and then going back into muggery... that makes it mostly irrelevant when it comes to capabilities as a player.

As for Federer - don't insult my tennis knowledge ffs. "When it really mattered" is a convinient add-on you used there. Federer has struggled game-wise against pushers, Murray the obvious example (who he DID lose a few important matches to), others include Simon and Monfils. Medvedev is obviously better than the latter two. And more than that, Medvedev's grinding game is more similar to Djokovic if anything.
Of course Federer would be favorite in a slam matchup against these pushers, as well as against Medvedev. After all there's only arguably 1-2 players on certain surfaces who Fed would NOT be fave against. That's not to say Medvedev would not stand a chance.
Nadal of USO 2019 played fine, hard court has never been his surface anyway, he's only had a few truly great tournaments on hc so that lowers those insanely high expectations. Besides, that final was also Medvedev's first and he started out that match poorly.

Anyway this is going nowhere, enough already

Reactions: Sharp-slice

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Props to Dimi for sticking to strategy & exploiting a poor serving Medved.

Med fans should now realise there r no ‘givens’ at these levels & winning a GS guarantees u nothing as we saw w/ Thiem.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Oh man, as a tried & true Fedfan with a reasonable attitude I would've expected you to be astute about the workings of tennis. This is a bummer. For the sake of correctness, Federer never did have any problems with pushers including servebot pushers when it really mattered in his prime; beating him entailed either hitting him off the court or oppressively pinning him into BH corner, or rather a combination of both. High-octane tennis was required either way. Federer would dominate rallies with the forehand and reset BH-to-BH exchanges with the slice Medvedev would massively struggle with due to his height. Ditto Nadal. Their prime game is an absolute killer for Meddy. And yes, Nadal was barely above krap either by historic slam-winning standards or his own former best showings (if the recent dearth of quality tennis has dulled your memories, I definitely suggest a rewatch), yet Medvedev had to redline (doing uncharacteristically well at net and increasing aggression from the baseline) for a set and a half and rely on Nadal not finding the next gear just to make it close.

Medvedev is obviously a better class of player than Dimitrov as he gets much more out of his game and is a lot more consistent. That doesn't contradict Greg having access to a higher peak, just that he only displayed it like three times and was still felled by mental weakness.
Well it's true that Federer has struggled in the past to defensive players, he lost to Simon, Canas and pre 2008 Nadal/Murray on hard court. You have selective memory...

Daniil on Grigor's finish: "About Grigor, I have not much to say. He played second part of the match better than anybody did against me in US Open that I won. So again, playing this level, I don't see him losing to anybody, but let's see the result."
So it wasn't just me thinking that... Good to have the confirmation from the opponent.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Murray led the H2H against Federer until the end of 2014 and was beating Federer more often than not prior to 2010. Federer has struggled (a lot) against defensive players.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Well it's true that Federer has struggled in the past to defensive players, he lost to Simon, Canas and pre 2008 Nadal/Murray on hard court. You have selective memory...
True. Federer lost his first two matches against Simon... and in their third match Federer needed 5 sets to beat Simon at AO 2011. He also needed 5 sets to beat Simon at RG 2013 and struggled to beat Simon at Shanghai 2014 (two tiebreaks) and Basel 2018 (three close sets).

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't think Medvedev could ever really push a non-crap Nadal, let alone Federer, in a slam. Their combination of aggression + slice makes for a nasty match-up against him. He has a decent match-up against Djokovic but it still took Disgustovic showing up for Medvedev to do something. Dimitrov did push prime Djokovic to a close four-setter at Wimbledon, which should have gone five if he didn't crumble mentally at the precipice.
Daniil Medvedev is a young player who is developing all the time. He is a lot better player now, in 2021, then two and more years ago. It is not relevant to conclude that something in the world is static. Medvedev was 0:3 against Djokovic also - the guy just developed into an incredible player and has nothing to do with Medvedev from 2018 and 2019. I had said in this forum that it is easier for this generation to occupy the top places in the rankings because the age difference is becoming larger and eventually the old greats would retire. The difference is that they are not playing all the tournaments in the year now - in fact Federer is absent for two years, Nadal is forcing the clay season mainly and Djokovic is playing less and less tournaments with this year mainly the Grand Slams. Of course that doesn't take away from the talented players because a win over a legend of the sport at final stages of a Grand Slam means that the player has played great and the legend is not "crap" while reaching 1/4, 1/2 and final in a Grand Slam. It will be "crap" if they are beaten 1-2 rounds...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nadal wasn't crap in the USO final 2019, Medvedev made a match of it. He could surely push Federer too, if Medvedev was having a great serving day. Federer historically has had trouble with defensive baseliners.

But it's all guesswork, which makes the discussion uninteresting to me. As for the original argument, "peak Dimitrov" has been sighted so rarely over the years that when people are talking about his career best achievements, they name individual matches rather than tournaments. That's not actually a good thing for the bulgarian. He has enough talent but his career is and will always be underwhelming.
In 2019 final Medvedev had a grueling path to the final stages of the tournament. He was really tired and it was the first Grand Slam where he had such success. Before that he hadn't passed 4-th round in a Slam. This is called an experience. This year he reached second final, lost it and then the 3-rd one he won - natural developing experience in situations. The thing here is that Medevedev's level of tennis is constant and it gives him the opportunities to be in the final stages of the tournaments - that means he is top player already - the best year of his career till now and with a possibility of number one sooner or later. People should realize that from 2004 no one except Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray have been number 1 so this is very big in tennis. Dimitrov is not peaking at all this year, neither of the past 2-3 years where he had serious health issues especially that one with the shoulder which is persisting throughout his career and ended in a big tear in the muscle (2019). His father explained this situation in Bulgarian press so you wouldn't hear it anywhere else - Grigor doesn't like to speak of injuries and pains never - his problem was not less than that of Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem now and Federer - so people should stop talking about mental - when a player is not physically confident of course the mental part is not there - it is connected. In other words the things Grigor Dimitrov is doing now are bigger because he will play with that sore shoulder for the rest of his career an he knows it - but he is a fighter opposite to the numerous "know-it-all" fans. That's why at this moment it doesn't matter what will happen until he retires - I am happy when watching him play - if he scores a win like that - he shows his talent and I am glad.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts