Mens Tennis Forums banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,713 Posts
Dimitrov has a higher ceiling than Medvedev with his weapons
This can MAYBE be considered true for very short intervals. Games, sets maybe. Not matches. Peaking Medvedev, although he doesn't hit the ball as hard from the forehand side as Dimitrov, has a better serve and hardly misses at all. Dimitrov at his best is still more error prone.

Today's match can't be used as an example since Medvedev played like a junior for the last set and a half, extremely undisciplined.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
This can MAYBE be considered true for very short intervals. Games, sets maybe. Not matches. Peaking Medvedev, although he doesn't hit the ball as hard from the forehand side as Dimitrov, has a better serve and hardly misses at all. Dimitrov at his best is still more error prone.

Today's match can't be used as an example since Medvedev played like a junior for the last set and a half, extremely undisciplined.
I don't think Medvedev could ever really push a non-crap Nadal, let alone Federer, in a slam. Their combination of aggression + slice makes for a nasty match-up against him. He has a decent match-up against Djokovic but it still took Disgustovic showing up for Medvedev to do something. Dimitrov did push prime Djokovic to a close four-setter at Wimbledon, which should have gone five if he didn't crumble mentally at the precipice.

·
Premium Member
29,713 Posts
I don't think Medvedev could ever really push a non-crap Nadal, let alone Federer, in a slam. Their combination of aggression + slice makes for a nasty match-up against him. He has a decent match-up against Djokovic but it still took Disgustovic showing up for Medvedev to do something. Dimitrov did push prime Djokovic to a close four-setter at Wimbledon, which should have gone five if he didn't crumble mentally at the precipice.
Nadal wasn't crap in the USO final 2019, Medvedev made a match of it. He could surely push Federer too, if Medvedev was having a great serving day. Federer historically has had trouble with defensive baseliners.

But it's all guesswork, which makes the discussion uninteresting to me. As for the original argument, "peak Dimitrov" has been sighted so rarely over the years that when people are talking about his career best achievements, they name individual matches rather than tournaments. That's not actually a good thing for the bulgarian. He has enough talent but his career is and will always be underwhelming.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
He should slice to the Medvedev forehand, Grigor got many mistakes from that today
Which is what Nadal did with good effect against Daniil last year at the WTF before he ruined it with 1 bad service game at the end.

I've been saying this for quite a while in regards to Djokovic and how he should be slicing to Medvedev & Zverev's forehand to frustrate them.Don't give them pace,make them bend and drag them side to side.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Which is what Nadal did with good effect against Daniil last year at the WTF before he ruined it with 1 bad service game at the end.

I've been saying this for quite a while in regards to Djokovic and how he should be slicing to Medvedev & Zverev's forehand to frustrate them.Don't give them pace,make them bend and drag them side to side.
Evans did that to Joker in Monte Carlo very effectively

·
Bring it Home
21,500 Posts

Do you understand this is very hard to do? It's much easier (for a right handed player) to slice to the backhand of the opponent. Not everyone can direct a slice to the forehand as sharp as Dimitrov can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting discussion. Well, Medvedev won't be the next Nadal, Djoko, or Fed. Any such expectations are unwarranted and comparisons with N/D/F are unfair. Tennis will be more unpredictable when N/D/F retire. I can't see anyone at present who seems poised to occupy and hold the top spots for such long spells as N/D/F. Perhaps a future talent will come in the next decade. Harris, Alcaraz, Sinner - promising, but likely to prove not good enough. Good win for Dimitrov - his form in recent tournaments has been reasonably pleasing. His task against HH will be tough. HH was in poor form in Metz but got the results. He's been fairly solid in IW so far.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yes, I will have to do the new calculations now. Med will probably play Moscow 250 but he is too far away. He would have to vulture crazy to get #1

As for the match, Med had 6-4 4-1 with 2 breaks, I thought it was over, Dimitrov played him tough, mixed it up with the slice to test Medvedev's technique and he made a lot of errors from the forehand off the slice.

Med lost 10 of 11 games from 6-4 4-1 to 6-4 4-6 1-5, then made it tough at the end but Dimitrov served it out well. When I squint my eye and look hard enough I do see some Federer in Dimitrov's game, but far too much slice in my opinion, should really come over the backhand more but excellent win
Medvedev is down to play the Moscow 250, but not down for the Vienna 500 from what I have seen. He would now need Vienna.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I wouldn't put my money on any of these players outside Big 3, the so-called Next Gen Little 4 (Med, Zve, Tsi, Thi). When their game is off, which can happen on any given day, they can lose to any random player.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Horrible stretch from 4-1 up in 2nd set to 1-5 down in 3rd set

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Nadal wasn't crap in the USO final 2019, Medvedev made a match of it. He could surely push Federer too, if Medvedev was having a great serving day. Federer historically has had trouble with defensive baseliners.

But it's all guesswork, which makes the discussion uninteresting to me. As for the original argument, "peak Dimitrov" has been sighted so rarely over the years that when people are talking about his career best achievements, they name individual matches rather than tournaments. That's not actually a good thing for the bulgarian. He has enough talent but his career is and will always be underwhelming.
Oh man, as a tried & true Fedfan with a reasonable attitude I would've expected you to be astute about the workings of tennis. This is a bummer. For the sake of correctness, Federer never did have any problems with pushers including servebot pushers when it really mattered in his prime; beating him entailed either hitting him off the court or oppressively pinning him into BH corner, or rather a combination of both. High-octane tennis was required either way. Federer would dominate rallies with the forehand and reset BH-to-BH exchanges with the slice Medvedev would massively struggle with due to his height. Ditto Nadal. Their prime game is an absolute killer for Meddy. And yes, Nadal was barely above krap either by historic slam-winning standards or his own former best showings (if the recent dearth of quality tennis has dulled your memories, I definitely suggest a rewatch), yet Medvedev had to redline (doing uncharacteristically well at net and increasing aggression from the baseline) for a set and a half and rely on Nadal not finding the next gear just to make it close.

Medvedev is obviously a better class of player than Dimitrov as he gets much more out of his game and is a lot more consistent. That doesn't contradict Greg having access to a higher peak, just that he only displayed it like three times and was still felled by mental weakness.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
It's also underrated how hard it is to get back to top form directly after winning a first slam, I believe none of the active slam winners won the next tournament after winning their maiden slam and some even lost in R1.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Absolutely deserved!!! So happy for Grigor! Unfortunately it’s not getting easier with the draw. But so so happy for him!!!! Aideeeee!

Reactions: MuzzahLovah

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Grigor didn't have the luxury to play in retiring big 3 - Grigor's game in AO 2017 and in the semifinal match against Nadal was levels above Medvedev's win on US Open against stoned from the pressure Djokovic and above the final between Zverev and Thiem in 2020. Sometimes luck is playing a role but it doesn't matter really - such talented players are remembered even without GS titles.
Really well said. Grigor is inconsistent however playing his best he can beat anyone. People here though, as haters they are, acting like it’s the biggest crime to lose against in form Dimitrov.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts