Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good watch this. Evans had lots of break points in third set, including a 0-40 at one point.

Stan has set points at 6-5 in 1st set.

Evans slice was excellent. Stan was a bit hit and miss. Reckon a slight choke from Evans in the end.

Really like watching Evans. Hope he continues to play like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Was coming back from a U.F.O gig so was following on my phone and then listened to last set on the wireless. Yeah very tight match and Stan really stepped up mentally on the break points, lots of good first serves.

Will see if Stan can do some damage at IW, Fucsovics up next. Dan is on the right track and probably wishes the grass season is 3 weeks away rather than three months.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was coming back from a U.F.O gig so was following on my phone and then listened to last set on the wireless. Yeah very tight match and Stan really stepped up mentally on the break points, lots of good first serves.

Will see if Stan can do some damage at IW, Fucsovics up next. Dan is on the right track and probably wishes the grass season is 3 weeks away rather than three months.

He’s probably ranked low enough to play the hard court challengers during the European clay season!

·
6,247 Posts
Good fighting spirit shown by the Birmingham Brawler, just not quite enough to get the Stanimal in the end.
Some good volleying displays in this match as well.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
It was 15-40 in the 3rd...

Stan escaped this. Got lucky with some errors by Dan on BP, and then Dan missed a huge volley and more to break himself.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
8 away! Keep it going Stan!

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Very strong win for Wawrinka here, could be his toughest match in the first week vs a red hot Evans

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
He’s probably ranked low enough to play the hard court challengers during the European clay season!

Could well be an option for Dan. He's not going to do a huge amount on Clay (and can also avoid the drug testing at Barca open....)

Yeah play a few more challengers and get the ranking up to top 50 for start of June when he can win a fair matches on the grass.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Gutted not because he lost but that he ended up in the worst spot of the draw for a qualifier.

Evans could have made a surprise run here, meanwhile a couple of Lucky Losers have taken 2nd round seeded spots.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Colorful stuff. Spectators definitely got their money worth.

The first set had it all. Scintillating shotmaking, breathtaking backhand passes, Djokosmashes, lots of volleying and UE galore with 4 breaks in a row. In the second Wawrinka was channeling his inner Isner and in addition figured he would not harvest many cheap points off his backhand, so he started employing his forehand, which carried him through the rest of the match. More drama followed in the third, when he dug himself out of holes he created and saved 6 BP's. Evans put up great defense, but ultimately that wasn't enough. Failing to convert from 40-0 and then from 40-15 broke his spirit and his serve.

Another good even though occasionally typically muggy match by Stan. Seeing him go to the net so much and being successful was pleasantly refreshing. Fucsovics is up next. Not taking anything for granted here, so just keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts