Mens Tennis Forums banner

Del Potro's success if he had minimal to no injuries on tour.

• 5 plus slams , 3+ masters and some time spent in top 3 and or a week or two spent at #1.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 3 plus slams, two masters , consistent time in Top 5/4 next to Murray and more big wins.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • 2 plus slams, one master , time spent in top ten , with upsets and a lot of 500 wins.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • 1 slam, one master, same career as right now, maybe a few more 500/250 wins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well its a Catch 22, if he hadn't such big missiles he wouldn't have got injured so often, but then if he didn't have those missiles he wouldn't have challenged successfully anyway. There's a reason nobody 6 foot 6 or more has ever won a Slam.
Del Potro is 6'6" and he has won a slam.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
What help? Beating Djokovic, Nadal and Federer in every slam he won is help? Mate, your bias makes you blind and incapable of objective judgement. If there is one player who deserved his slams without any asterisks it’s Stan Wawrinka.

Bias? Right.....ye

Aus open 2014
A retiremant
A walkover
2 points from defeat v Djok
Nadal injured in final

Rg 15
Pretty deserved but djokovic awful in final

Uso 16
Mps down v evans

So many sets dropped in all 3 events. Just took advantage of situations. Fair play to him.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Don't forget that Djokovic was injured at US Open 2016. Also, as Phillo pointed out, Djokovic had a brutal and very unfair schedule at RG 2015 (including brutal draw).

Roland Garros is horrible with its treatment of players. They treated one of my favourites - Thiem - horribly last year, and I am still very bitter about it. Thiem was at a huge disadvantage with the schedule, and it showed in the final with him being unable to move after the second set.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Got to agree that of all the majors, in recent times, FO shows least sincerity for the welfare of their competitors, even the top ones like Domi. Seems like more corporate than sports oriented officials run it & obvious that all they care about is what they get out of it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't see the point to come back again with this subject. As a big fan, Delpo has underachieved because of all his injuries (well at least he won a GS, a Master1000 and the Davis Cup) and it has been a lot of frustration for a decade or more, but I am trying to forget it and the good point with the Corona Crisis situation is that my hopes about a possible return have completely vanished. I don't think he will ever come back and the yesterday news about his separation with his coach Sebastien Prieto is certainly not a good sign. At the best, the "Torre from Tandil" will come back just for a kind of farewell tour to say goodbye to his dear fans in selected locations, that's my opinion.

·
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't see the point to come back again with this subject. As a big fan, Delpo has underachieved because of all his injuries (well at least he won a GS, a Master1000 and the Davis Cup) and it has been a lot of frustration for a decade or more, but I am trying to forget it and the good point with the Corona Crisis situation is that my hopes about a possible return have completely vanished. I don't think he will ever come back and the yesterday news about his separation with his coach Sebastien Prieto is certainly not a good sign. At the best, the "Torre from Tandil" will come back just for a kind of farewell tour to say goodbye to his dear fans in selected locations, that's my opinion.
I hope he does 4 slams plus IW/Miami and maybe one or two clay South American tournament's, but it would be a big ask to do a full year on tour with his body and age.. he isn't 21 anymore.

How about he wins US Open in 5 setter against a motivated Fognini? We can dream cant we? :LOL:

·
6,296 Posts
Yeah maybe he could have won another, he has caused more problems for the Big 3 than most other players.
He literally wrecked Nole in that 2013 Wimbledon semifinal.
Possibly wins another USO if he is fully fit.
Has been strangely poor at the AO.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I hope he does 4 slams plus IW/Miami and maybe one or two clay South American tournament's, but it would be a big ask to do a full year on tour with his body and age.. he isn't 21 anymore.

How about he wins US Open in 5 setter against a motivated Fognini? We can dream cant we? :LOL:
I also doubt that he could have a full year even for a kind of farewell tour. I don't see the point anymore for him to play in Australia. So in a "normal season", would maybe better to start in Cordoba or Buenos Aires to say goodbye and please his local fans, then play Acapulco, IW, Miami. Then some clay tournaments (probably Madrid, Rome and RG); then Wimbledon (and if fit enough the Queens) + 1 or 2 hard court summer tournaments (Olympics in Tokyo ?) + the US Open. That would be an ideal calendar in 2021 depending on his fitness and the evolution of the Corona Crisis.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Please dont insult him comparing him to Cilic. DelPo has a mindset of a champion, while Cilic has always been a nervous wreck except for that USO'14.

I guess he would have won around 5 slams total. 2-3 more on hard and 1-2 on grass.

And regarding his "inconsistency", hes been damn consistent for a guy his size and his aggresive gamestyle imo. I dont think anyone can hit that heavy forehand so low above the net as successfully as him.

·
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Please dont insult him comparing him to Cilic. DelPo has a mindset of a champion, while Cilic has always been a nervous wreck except for that USO'14.

I guess he would have won around 5 slams total. 2-3 more on hard and 1-2 on grass.

And regarding his "inconsistency", hes been damn consistent for a guy his size and his aggresive gamestyle imo. I dont think anyone can hit that heavy forehand so low above the net as successfully as him.
Amen to that.

To your second point.. yeah I think its super fascinating how he can do top spin and then flatten out his forehand on a dime. Arguably one of the best flat forehands in the history of the game

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Next to Rafa this giant is one of my favorite players on tour.
Like Rafa he has had so many injuries its kind of unfair. But thats life.
He beat Fererer in 5 sets to win his only slam. Could he do that every year? No. But one here and one there he could of won a few more slams.
His body is not made for tennis. Even Isner Plays simpler tennis.
But when he was at the top of his game he would give the Big 3 a run for their money.
Op is correct about Nole and Federers injuries. But seems a bit lackluster on Rafa injuries.
Haters or not all of us know about his injuries. Some short term others 6 months. They all take a toll of your mind.
Rafa even said last year he was doubtfull about returning to the top. He managed winning RG 19.
Rafa could be a case study about all his injuries.

But back to Del Potro.I always felt he should ski

·
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Next to Rafa this giant is one of my favorite players on tour.
Like Rafa he has had so many injuries its kind of unfair. But thats life.
He beat Fererer in 5 sets to win his only slam. Could he do that every year? No. But one here and one there he could of won a few more slams.
His body is not made for tennis. Even Isner Plays simpler tennis.
But when he was at the top of his game he would give the Big 3 a run for their money.
Op is correct about Nole and Federers injuries. But seems a bit lackluster on Rafa injuries.
Haters or not all of us know about his injuries. Some short term others 6 months. They all take a toll of your mind.
Rafa even said last year he was doubtfull about returning to the top. He managed winning RG 19.
Rafa could be a case study about all his injuries.

But back to Del Potro.I always felt he should ski
Rafa has had injuries but not at the severity as Del Potro. I'm sure Del Potro has done the same thing as Nadal, like taking Paracetamol and playing through slams , when his wrist is completely incapacitated, but that is who he is. Difference between Del Potro and Nadal is he has literally been off of tour for almost two years due to an injury 2014-2016. Rafa's knees, elbows, etc. have always plagued him but haven't been something chronic to where he has missed 5 years of his career due to his injuries.

Feel free to bemuse Rafa injuries and what he could have accomplished with no injuries , but I made a Del Potro thread. Please finish your sentence too.

I mean the guy has the heart of a champion and you can guarantee he has never tanked a match or smashed a racquet due to being down a break point.... To me its wild that he will go down as a one slam wonder , when his personality and passion for the game are that of a Federer, Nadal , Djokovic.

This one is for you @Fargif

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Rafa has had injuries but not at the severity as Del Potro. I'm sure Del Potro has done the same thing as Nadal, like taking Paracetamol and playing through slams , when his wrist is completely incapacitated, but that is who he is. Difference between Del Potro and Nadal is he has literally been off of tour for almost two years due to an injury 2014-2016. Rafa's knees, elbows, etc. have always plagued him but haven't been something chronic to where he has missed 5 years of his career due to his injuries.

Feel free to bemuse Rafa injuries and what he could have accomplished with no injuries , but I made a Del Potro thread. Please finish your sentence too.

I mean the guy has the heart of a champion and you can guarantee he has never tanked a match or smashed a racquet due to being down a break point.... To me its wild that he will go down as a one slam wonder , when his personality and passion for the game are that of a Federer, Nadal , Djokovic.

This one is for you @Fargif
i watched that one live and i was barely wanting Rafa to win. But if he lost it would of been fine. It was one of those matches that i didnt care had Rafa lost. But a great battle.
More serious injury was Del potro. Hands down. But the amount Rafa had along his career it mindblowing.

Remember that time he had a blister in his hand in AO' 2015? i guess: That was nasty.
Or that time in the US Not sure again which tournament be burned his hand on soup bowl.
Some say he played a hard style( which is true) but still doesnt mean his injuries were deserved.
Some injuries are just bad luck.
He could of won a few masters also. Specially Paris. Since it the most volatitle Master outthere.

·
29,621 Posts
2-3 slams maybe?

I like del Potro but he wasn't always the fittest physically even when injury free. When in his prime if he struggled to a long one, he'd usually pay for it the next round.

What was so crucial to his USO was the fact he chargrilled Nadal 2, 2 and 2 quickly and it enabled him to have a full tank to go for Federer in the final.

Djokovic has always been a troublesome match up for him in the big occasions too. Big 3 + Murray + Stan still around if his injury years were healthy ones makes picking up Slam titles difficult for whoever to be fair

But he'd have deffo won at least one more, possibly two. On a par with Wawrinka

21 - 34 of 34 Posts