Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found it in Serbian media, apparently, Ivanisevic said it in an interview he gave to Croatian media. I've included DeepL translation of what he said.

"We are watching Nadal and everything is the same as always, but it is not the same. These are perfect conditions for Novak, but not for Nadal. Nadal will always beat the ones he needs to beat. I am counting on Novak - Nadal final in which, in my opinion, Nadal has no chance in such conditions, on this kind of clay court and with Novak who has already entered his head. I went a little too far, but I think Novak is the number one favorite of Roland Garros ", said Ivanišević for HRT.

The staggering level of arrogance from Djoko's team can't be considered anything new.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
No lies detected!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
maybe the lie detector is from the weak era thats why it isnt working

·
Registered
351 Posts
The staggering level of arrogance from Djoko's team can't be considered anything new.
Arrogance or confidence?

No point turning up for a match if you don't believe you can win. Self-fulfilling prophecies are very real, especially in sports.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arrogance or confidence?

No point turning up for a match if you don't believe you can win. Self-fulfilling prophecies are very real, especially in sports.
No, you mistake confidence for arrogance, I've not heard other tennis coaches giving statements such as these. It's a textbook example of arrogance, as well as a lack of respect for the opponent, as if Rafa is a mug who stumbled his way to the final somehow.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Tio Toni: Rafa, we got a problem! His name is Novak Djokovic. True story!

·
|
15,822 Posts
Goran doesn't follow tennis, because he's not aware that Nadal has won their last 3 clay meetings, including 60 46 61 last year at Rome (the first bagel ever recorded in their rivalry).
The gap between Nadal and Djokovic in clay is bigger now than than ever before, so Nadal is in Djokovic's head on clay, and especially at Roland Garros where Nadal leads 6-1 h2h.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Anyone who has either watched the matches or understands even a little about tennis knows that Ivanisevic is spot on here. Nadal has nothing for Novak in these conditions. If he takes a set, it would be a miracle.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Nadal is still a monster on this surface even in these cold conditions. Djokovic still the underdog should they meet.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Tio Toni: Rafa, we got a problem! His name is Novak Djokovic. True story!
Yep, but it was about 18 y.o. Djokovic on HC.

Since then, Nadal was never in the same HC slam (AO/USO) half with Djokovic, but was almost always at RG (when they were not top 2 seeds).

And problemos solved, no, since both Djokovic and Federer where in the opposite AO/USO half till 2012.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
He said it and then immediately backpedalled because he realized it sounded too arrogant. He simply sounds confident in Djokovic’s ability to win here. Nothing to really get worked up about here.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Anyone who has either watched the matches or understands even a little about tennis knows that Ivanisevic is spot on here. Nadal has nothing for Novak in these conditions. If he takes a set, it would be a miracle.
Maybe fresh Djokovic would have a slight advantage in these conditions, but Djokovic might as well lose or be pretty tired after 5-setters vs Busta and Tsitsipsy, whereas Nadal could be almost as fresh as daisy after Shorty.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Maybe fresh Djokovic would have a slight advantage in these conditions, but Djokovic might as well lose or be pretty tired after 5-setters vs Busta and Tsitsipsy, whereas Nadal could almost be as fresh as daisy after Shorty.
You are vastly overrating Nadal and underrating Novak, and way underestimating how much the conditions matter. I said that Novak would easily beat Nadal even when Nadal was beating those 150-200 ranked mugs. Feel free to quote me after the final.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Yep, but it was about 18 y.o. Djokovic on HC.

Since then, Nadal was never in the same HC slam (AO/USO) half with Djokovic, but was almost always at RG (when they were not top 2 seeds).

And problemos solved, no, since both Djokovic and Federer where in the opposite AO/USO half till 2012.
Those are facts true, but why does it sound like a Tio Toni conspiracy theory!?

Reactions: DarkoAqua

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
You are vastly overrating Nadal and underrating how much the conditions matter. I said that Novak would easily beat Nadal even when Nadal was beating those 150-200 ranked mugs. Feel free to quote me after the final.
But Novak can even more easily lose in SF or QF, or pick up some niggling injury after two 5-setters in these cold conditions or be a way more tired for the finals to have strong enough FH throughout the whole match as e.g. in RG final vs Stan.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I am by no means a Novak fan but he has shown the best level so far in this tournament and has been amazing since cinci.

Ivanisevic is right. The circumstances are very different. I fancy Novak's chances. We can't always judge on the past. Recent form matters. Novak has played much more competitive tennis too.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Not that Nadal needs any more incentive since he’s 100% all the time, but saying this kind of thing publicly is just dumb. Why would anyone deliberately put even more pressure on their guy? Isn’t being in a GS final enough pressure?

I’d bet Djokovic doesn’t like it either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The main factor will be how many hours novak plays in semifinal. If he plays more than 4 hours then his chances will be much lower, because nadal will be very fresh for the final. If novak has a short semifinal he has 50 to 55% chance of winning.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts