Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday 25th September 2005, SkySports.com

Former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic is to come out of retirement to fight for a place in Croatia's Davis Cup final team. The Croats will travel to Slovakia for the tournament's climax in December after beating Russia on Sunday and Ivanisevic is hoping to qualify as his country's fourth player.

The 34-year-old quit the game in 2003 because of a persistent shoulder injury, but will now challenge Sasa Tuksar for the final berth in captain Niki Pilic's side.

Pilic revealed that the two men would have a one-off play-off match to decide who gets the nod.

"I'm telling everyone now for the first time that there will be a one-off match between Goran and Sasa at my club in Munich," Pilic stated.

"It will be held on a fast rebound ace court at 500m altitude, and that will help Goran.

"Whoever wins will be the fourth player. But if Goran loses he will still be with us for the final. If Goran wins Sasa will also still be with us."

Ivanisevic, who claimed glory at SW19 in 2001, confirmed he was deadly serious about the comeback, but insisted he would be cheering on his nation with equal fervour whether he made the team or not.

"It's not for me to decide, I'll be there as fourth player or as assistant coach, whatever, I'll be there," he declared.

"It's much tougher watching. You want to help but you can't, you have to sit, you can't get out of your seat.

"When you're playing you can control the situation, your emotions, but when you're sitting you can only yell and scream."

"I know this team can win the Davis Cup.

"For us to be in the final is great for the sport, the country, it's unbelievable."

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I would love to see him play in this special occasion. :)

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Wow! :eek:

Would he play ANY part in the tie though? I can't see him being given a live rubber (apart from maybe doubles) and i doubt he would want to play a dead one...

Nice to hear about another comeback attempt! He is almpst like the Tennis Terminator...always coming back :lol:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Interesting, but I doubt Pilic would use him for a live rubber when he already has 3 great players who haven't been retired for over a year. ;) I guess he just wants to be "part of the team."

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Imagine trying to return serve from an Ivanisevic/Karlovic team.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
he deserves a spot imo. he's our greatest tennis player ever so it would only be right for him to be on the team that is in the dc finals

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Goran :worship: i'd love to see him back for DC :yippee:

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Goran wants that 600th ATP match win in the dead rubber

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
yeah, although i somehow find it fitting that he ended his career with 599 wins :p

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Beat Tuksar,Goran! ;)

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Sure, if they want to lose doubles ... it's not fair to other active players to be left out regardless to his achievements.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
that's all very good but since the final will be held in Slovakia most probably it will be held on clay since Hrbaty is good on that surface and it is Croats weakest surface. So shoudn't Goran and the other chap play on clay? If Mario or Ivan are injured there needs to be a the best player to replace them. I doubt that Goran or Karlovic could do the job.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Gouzo said:
The Davis Cup is an ITF event, not ATP. Or does that 599 total include the davis cup ?
Yes, winning a DC match counts as a ATP win

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
jrm said:
Sure, if they want to lose doubles ... it's not fair to other active players to be left out regardless to his achievements.
he's not gonna play a live rubber. probably a dead one

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Jim Jones said:
that's all very good but since the final will be held in Slovakia most probably it will be held on clay since Hrbaty is good on that surface and it is Croats weakest surface. So shoudn't Goran and the other chap play on clay? If Mario or Ivan are injured there needs to be a the best player to replace them. I doubt that Goran or Karlovic could do the job.
except that clay is beck's worst surface and the croats are the favorites in doubles on any surface

1 - 20 of 44 Posts