·
MONSOON season.
81,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has taken a WC into the South African Challenger :rolls:

Wild cards announced for SAA Tennis Open
03 February 2008 (14:58)

Raven Klaasen © Reg Caldecott

The South African Tennis Association (SATA) confirmed Sunday morning the three remaining wild card spots for the forthcoming SAA Tennis Open to be played at Selborne Park Stadium in East London from 11-17 January 2008. The three players will join world number 22, Ivan Ljubicic as the four wild cards in the main draw direct.
They are Raven Klaasen, Izak Van der Merwe and Ruan Roelofse all from South Africa.
This announcement guarantees at least six South African players in the main draw of the tournament.
Klaasen, van der Merwe and Roelofse join fellow South African direct acceptances Rik De Voest, Wesley Moodie and Kevin Anderson in the main draw.
The winner of Saturday’s Cape Classic in Cape Town Raven Klaasen, a former South African Davis Cup player will make his first ATP Tour main draw appearance.
Van der Merwe who like Klaasen has represented his country in Davis Cup was the highest ranked South African on the alternate list. His wild card grant will prevent Van der Merwe from having to contest the challenging qualifying tournament for the remaining main draw spots next weekend.
Roelofse, according to Tournament Director and CEO of SATA, Ian Smith earned his wild card spot through his “talent” and “dedication”.
“Ruan is one of our countries brightest prospects. His commitment to South African tennis and good form of late helped us make the decision to award him with a wild card. SATA are committed through this event to give our promising players of the future a chance of breaking through onto the tour ATP Tour. Hopefully Ruan will take up the opportunity given to him and make that important break” said Smith.
http://www.supersport.co.za/tennis/article.aspx?id=243039&headline=Wild cards announced for SAA Tennis Open

·
Banned
7,774 Posts
Re: Ivan Ljubicic to play East London Challenger | 11-17 February

my guess would be he couldnt get a WC to Marseille so this was the only other option. He didnt want to go into Rotterdam not playing for 35 days.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

Easy win for him their.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts

:haha:

But yeah, IL's comment makes perfect sense...needs match practice.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts

Why didn't he enter Marseille then?

·
Banned
1,026 Posts

Why didn't he enter Marseille then?
Becuase he didn't listed that tournament in his schedule!
Therefore he has to ask for WC. Since two Croats with WC in Marseille is too much , he decided to go to South Africa .
Otherwise he would have to play the qualies at Open 13 in Marseille , but considering his form lately he made a good choice :lol::lol::lol: - he would have lost in the qualies I am sure.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts

No, I meant:
If he needs match practice before Rotterdam, then why didn't he have Marseille on his schedule in the first place?

I don't get why the "indoor king" is playing an outdoor event on hardcourt in South Africa the week before Rotterdam when he could have played one of his beloved indoor events in Europe.

·
Registered
341 Posts

11-17 January 2008?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

It makes no sense to me. Why didn't he ask for a WC at Delray Beach or Costa do Sauipe instead? If anything, they're closer to Monte Carlo than South Africa. And there's also a challenger in Belgrade, of all places, the same week...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

It makes no sense to me. Why didn't he ask for a WC at Delray Beach or Costa do Sauipe instead? If anything, they're closer to Monte Carlo than South Africa. And there's also a challenger in Belgrade, of all places, the same week...
I suppose he may want to avoid jet lag by choosing South Africa.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts

Ljuba truba please retire now
he ill play on challengers...LOL LOL LOL

:help::rolleyes:

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

Possibly wants to build up some confidence too - things haven't gone all that well for him lately.

·
Registered
32,164 Posts

OH MY GOD!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This could be good for him.I hope he wins the title of course :spit:

And gets some good practice for Rotterdam and Zagreb,I want to see him at his best in those events.
Hope he gets some confidence there.:)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

I htink it's a rather wise decision, actually. He hasn't done well for a very long time, it's realistic to lower the expectations for a bit and at least collect some points.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts

and the funniest thing is that he won't win the title there ;)
He will get beaten by either Kousek or Johansson

1 - 20 of 179 Posts