Votes: 41 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 31 43.1%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard many commentators state that they were in favour of this idea and for once I agree with them.

Judging by when most MTOs are taken, it's safe to assume that the vast majority of them are taken by players looking to adversely affect their opponent's momentum. Anyone who has ever played tennis knows that the smallest events can swing the momentum of a match and I don't believe MTOs should be one of them.

As for those few cases which are genuine, the player should retire. I find it hard to believe that a player's participation in the match hangs on whether or not they get a 5-10 minute rub down from the physio. Having said that, I see nothing wrong with players consulting doctors/physios during the natural breaks in play.

What do you think? Poll incoming.

inb4 djokoking is goat
inb4 nadull
inb4 era debate

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I think MTO should be allowed only if a player gets a visible injury (fall, bleeding etc)
Clumsiness or misfortune is your problem, one MTO per tournament and thats it.

So, you better save your MTO when you really need it for physical rather than tactical reasons or the lack of fitness as is the case today and change your game accordingly.

There were many instances of player winning the close match due to MTO abuse, only to w/o the next.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,739 Posts
But if you just scratched your knee or finger and there is a bleeding and no serious injury ?
Damn, nobody cares about tiny wounds if you play Futures or less important tournaments. With all these MTOs it's getting like football now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
in spirit, yes, but someone with great acting skills can purposely fall, get a cut in the leg and start bleeding. you can't allow them continue play while bleeding all over the court, you still have to stop and let the trainer close the wound.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I think it's a very stupid idea

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I think they should only be able to call a trainer at the end of the set. If you're too injured to play, then retire. If not, tough it out until the end of the set and then deal with it.

The fact that you can take an MTO at something like 4-5 in the third set after you've been broken and the other guy is serving for the match is a complete joke.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Not sure how to curb MTO abuse, perhaps only the umpire should get to call one at player's request, thus deciding on the timing of it, whether it can wait until the end of the set, until the player is to serve. etc, as well as avoiding MTOs because you cramp. That's not an injury, but a fitness issue. Don't think scrapping them altogether is the best solution, though. I'd rather players finish matches when possible and to the best of their ability. Most if not all MTOs should come between sets, though. That's doable without disrupting the flow of play too much.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts