Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the anti Nadal and Djo people were so excited :lol:

I find this so incredibly funny.

People were like "Yeah put in a shot clock that'll stop them" as if it has any effect at all. I personally don't really like the shot clock because you deserve a bit more of a break after a 25 shot rally (if they changed it to account for that then I'd have no issue) but isn't it so poetic that these two great champions shut everyone up so fast about the stupid time violations. I love it.

>:)

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
If you watch their Wimbledon semi, you can see that when they are at their best or at least close to it these guys are easily above the rest of the field, so this isn't that surprising, shot clock or not.

Also, the shot clock probably gave them a big incentive to shut up their detractors.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good. So shotclock does not affect players who are on the ‘takes a lot of time’ side. But I think it is those two’s fans who are overly paranoid about the clock.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
No sane person truly believed that they wouldn't win with a shot clock around. I personally am still glad that it's part of tennis. For me it was nothing against one player. I just thought that in general too much time was taken between points.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Their routines is the same except they don't do the toweling anymore. They had to speed up and be ready by the baseline to serve and do their usual pre-serve routine. The only difference is that they have lots of sweat on their body.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I didn't expect it to impact them too much. Nice that you guys are agreeing, makes it seem like there's no reason NOT to implement it then, no?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
They'll probably scrap the clock soon, it has absolute no value since 99.9% of points are well within time, even with people like Nadal and Djokovic. With the Next Gen, that isn't an issue at all.

And the whole "reducing match time" argument is just idiotic, since 3 deuces cause the match to last longer than 20 serves over the 25 sec limit. It was a gimmick to begin with, if they want to shorten matches they should look into 5th set TB, Deuces and such.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I agree with the OP. I remember some tards were waiting for shot clocks and hoping this would end careers of Nadal and Djokovic :lol:

·
justice for all
13,091 Posts
The other thing is the referees let them get away with multiply time violations. I find it ridiculous: they put a rule in place and are not able to enforce it...

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
The way it is administered is sometimes idiotic. Like starting it before players reach the baseline after the changeover. You also have to show some flexibility after an epic point, let the crowd subdue, let it sink in.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I wasn't expecting this to "derail" those guys although I was curious how they'd adjust. However, there have been plenty of quotes throughout the years also from players complaining about "one rule for Nadal and another for the rest" in reference to him not getting penalized for occasionally pushing the limit, so I think it's just good/correct to make the whole thing more transparent. Now that the clock is visible, neither side can complain relying/leaning on their perception, i.e. it's also good for Rafa against the accusations. Plus it's now more likely to be an even playing field.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
That's not surprising with the way the shotclock got implemented.

Instead of getting 25 seconds as before, they effectively have 35 seconds now with the shotclock starting only after the umpire announces the score and not after the ball bounced twice like it should be. The umpire should only have discretion to stop the shotclock when somthing out of the players' control happens. Now we have the situation that the slow players got their wish and can waste time with official blessing. And if the 30 seconds+ still aren't enough, they just get a TV, not a real penalty like a loss of first serve/point etc. Well done, ATP.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
The way it is administered is sometimes idiotic. Like starting it before players reach the baseline after the changeover. You also have to show some flexibility after an epic point, let the crowd subdue, let it sink in.
Maybe... But a player could then again try to "game the system" by moving to the baseline at a slow pace, going for the towel again etc. As for flexibility, the umpire already has that option and they have used that. However IMO they don't need to give a great deal of extra time after a long point, but instead it's for the players to adjust, like Tsitsipas did after a long point, trying to finish the next one quickly to keep it short (likely reeling still from the previous point).

·
Registered
486 Posts
All the anti Nadal and Djo people were so excited :lol:

I find this so incredibly funny.

People were like "Yeah put in a shot clock that'll stop them" as if it has any effect at all. I personally don't really like the shot clock because you deserve a bit more of a break after a 25 shot rally (if they changed it to account for that then I'd have no issue) but isn't it so poetic that these two great champions shut everyone up so fast about the stupid time violations. I love it.

>:)

I think essentially one HC tournie played each, is a bit early to proclaim that a shot clock is going to have no effect on two players who have routinely taken, and I think depended, on extra time their whole career. :) Notable also is the fact that they haven't, in the case of Nadal, been able to enforce that rule properly yet. Let's see how it plays out in b2b best of 5's against elite players when they have been forced to retreat to the retrieving mode they built their legend on. Also, consider the fact that reduced recovery time will also finally allow the better/fitter younger guys a chance to prosper on a fairer playing field.

The notion that these two haven't used time rule exploitation to win big is preposterous.....the stuff of fanboi defence...and/or those who didn't watch/have a short memory about seasons past. Regardless of this, it's great to see matches being speeded and at least some respite in this area. As for the 25 shot rally warranting more recovery time, this completely misses the point. The inability to finish a rally in 25 shots is what this rule is there to discourage.

·
Registered
932 Posts
They'll probably scrap the clock soon, it has absolute no value since 99.9% of points are well within time, even with people like Nadal and Djokovic. With the Next Gen, that isn't an issue at all.

And the whole "reducing match time" argument is just idiotic, since 3 deuces cause the match to last longer than 20 serves over the 25 sec limit. It was a gimmick to begin with, if they want to shorten matches they should look into 5th set TB, Deuces and such.
That was not the case without the shotclock. And now that the serve time is monitored, it's kind of obvious that players are trying to follow the rule more...

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
When know which side was drulling for the shot clock. So much for that.

And if it wasnt for the hatred towards a few players. Everyone would understand that players sweat alot. Rafa is one of those players. And of course he dries himself, that 4-6 sec. Plus his traditional stuff.

Funny part now is those wh wanted shotclock is that they blame the umpires for delyaing the score and consequencial timer on.

Won how bitter do some have to be to say that.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
That's not surprising with the way the shotclock got implemented.

Instead of getting 25 seconds as before, they effectively have 35 seconds now with the shotclock starting only after the umpire announces the score and not after the ball bounced twice like it should be. The umpire should only have discretion to stop the shotclock when somthing out of the players' control happens. Now we have the situation that the slow players got their wish and can waste time with official blessing. And if the 30 seconds+ still aren't enough, they just get a TV, not a real penalty like a loss of first serve/point etc. Well done, ATP.
Are you sure the average time stats that used to be shown in the past were counted after the point has finished? Should there be a dispute of who should win the point, the clock can't be counting so I think it makes sense to only start counting after the result is announced.

Ofc they get a time violation, what else would it be? I think you mean only getting a warning for it. You're wrong, first time violation has always been a warning, from then on, it's loss of 1st serve.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts