Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
yeah,baffles me that fedtards are coming out celebrating, fed has never even been close to this kind of chance

also I see 2 of 3 of the top 3 next gen players celebrate Djokovic as the Goat

fedal doesnt win in this failure,it is laver the old rat who still rides on the CYGS train,that old man should be out of the GOAT debate anyways
Federer won 3 slams and reached the final in the other in both 2006 and 2007. It is an accident of scheduling that the FO is 2nd of the year and USO is last and nothing that either player can change. Do you really think that if the USO was 2nd and the FO last Fed would have done any worse in 2006 and 2007?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Yes, it obviously was a great year for him. Nobody else ever won 3 slams in one year despite being far below their peak level. He clearly got the maximum out of his possibilities which is definitely admirable.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Full respect to Djokovic for what he has achieved in the slams this year - went from 17 to 20 to join Federer and Nadal and he has also now won each slam at least twice. 👍

I personally wanted to see Djokovic write tennis history by winning the US Open, his 21st slam and achieve the CYGS. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be for him, he wasn't in his best form during the US Open, being on court for an extra 5 hours in the lead-up to the final compared to Medvedev did not help him.

Djokovic was way off mentally and physically during the final, he was like a zombie, the pressure of achieving so many records had he won the final was definitely weighing on his mind and it was too much.

Hats off to Medvedev though, he definitely learnt some lessons from the Aus Open final defeat and this time around, he put together a solid game plan of serving great (except for his last 2 service games) and continuously hitting deep, flat shots that gave Djokovic no rhythm or pace to feed off. A well-deserved 1st slam title for Medvedev (hopefully he will win multiple slams during his career). 🙂
I 1000% subscribe to everything you wrote. Djokovic, despite his loss, made one of the most amazing seasons any tennis player can ask for. Winning the 3 first GS and being just 3 sets away from making history is something that many will remember. He went waaaay above my expectations following his 2020 season and even after the Tokyo Olympics. I thought that his defeat against Zverev would completely shatter his confidence for USO. It has certainly affected him but he pulled it off with one of the hardest draw possible to make it to the final.

Well done to Medvedev also. I am very sad for Djokovic but Medvedev is a deserving champion!

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Thank you. Some people will gloat about this, however this was just not meant to be. Sometimes you need element of luck and Djokovic just didn't have it:

... Go to back to the Australian Open 3rd round match right when Fritz took the 4th set and then imagine to yourself that Djokovic from that point on would go on to fall one match short of the grand slam... Mind blowing to think about it.Bookies would've probably offered 200-1 for it to happen once the injury flared.

In fact,whilst I get your point and agree with it in all due fairness he had his fair share of luck throughout the whole campaign.He got through the Australian through guts & attrition and then played badly against Musetti at the French and used his experience to get past the Italian duo.. A grudge match ensued against Nadal but then had to do it the hard way at the French coming back from 2 sets down when he failed to serve out the set and then didn't convert in the tiebreak.. A poor 2nd set then followed before the comeback.

He then was up against it against Denis in the semi's at Wimbledon and the impetuousness & lack of experience got to Denis and all Djokovic had to do was stay the course and tough it out and then in the final played badly but due to big match experience got it done.

Case in point: In my opinion from the semi's onward at Wimbledon (eg the next 9 slam matches) he played within himself and never ever looked comfortable.

Semi's: Shapovalov
Final: Berrettini

First Round: Rune
2nd Round: Griekspoor
3rd Round: Nishikori
4th Round: Brooksby
Quarters: Berrettini
Semi's: Zverev
Final: Medvedev

At the US OPEN he lost a set in 6/7 matches and if you include the latter stages of Wimbledon 7/8 and should've been 8/9 when Denis served for the set/s.It just shows you how shaky he was throughout the whole campaign.

He indeed had no luck in the final and nothing worked out but it was the end of the line.Too much baggage got in the way via Medvedev himself,tired legs due to himself and insipid form.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not a fan of Novak. But this has been a magnificient, unbelievably awesome effort.
How can any true tennis fan not appreciate, admire and be grateful for a privilege he gave us this year to watch this go the distance.

Pure appreciation and the best of luck in the rest of his wonderful career.
Not really, I felt that a lot of his opponents were outplaying him but simply choked mentally like Fritz at the AO, Shapovalov at Wimbedon, Tsitsipas at the FO, etc... There was a lot of luck envolved in this year for Djokovic and I feel that the Olympics and the USO finally exposed his true level which was good but not that impressive...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not really, I felt that a lot of his opponents were outplaying him but simply choked mentally like Fritz at the AO, Shapovalov at Wimbedon, Tsitsipas at the FO, etc... There was a lot of luck envolved in this year for Djokovic and I feel that the Olympics and the USO finally exposed his true level which was good but not that impressive...
🙄

·
Your visions will happen
53,959 Posts
As a Laver fan I can only echo Rod's words that "Novak is "one of the greatest". The CYGS is the hardest thing to achieve in all sports and there's nothing to say that Novak won't go for it again. "The Quest continues" as Rod says - not just for Djokovic but for all players. It might be true that Djokovic lost the most important match of his career, but it's also true that he got himself in that position so respect to him for that; not many players achieve that!. On the other hand you have to be realistic that his opponents and their fans are happy that he was defeated. For me, it was always going to be sad if Laver was displaced as GOAT, so him securing that status was always going to be met with relief and a wee celebration. I'd expect the same from Nole fans if he won and we were in ruins.
Laver is like the 1972 Dolphins or Bill Russell

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Federer won 3 slams and reached the final in the other in both 2006 and 2007. It is an accident of scheduling that the FO is 2nd of the year and USO is last and nothing that either player can change. Do you really think that if the USO was 2nd and the FO last Fed would have done any worse in 2006 and 2007?
incident you say? it is also an incident that CYCG starts with AO, not Wimbledon, if you know what I mean

·
Registered
793 Posts
incident you say? it is also an incident that CYCG starts with AO, not Wimbledon, if you know what I mean
Basically, the order of the slams is predetermined and has nothing whatsoever to do with the relative skill of the players. Federer has won 3 slams and has made the final in the other on 2 occasions. Novak has done the same. That the slam Federer failed on was the 2nd and the one Novak failed one was the last is unlikely to have much to do with their relative greatness.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts