Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's already bad enough with older players dominating the tour and treating even prime Masters events as mickeymouse warmups, skipping them like who cares.
But lets make it even worse, making them play twice a day, like today with Fed or Del Potro who at some point would realise that he needs to play 6 sets a day to make it through. Fed now needs to play 5 to play tomorrow, he is a fine pro and he'll fight, but I don't think he'll give it that little extra that he would give be it a regular match-a-day schedule.
ATP is just shooting themselves in the foot by degrading the quality of their best events for no reason.

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts
It's already bad enough with older players dominating the tour and treating even prime Masters events as mickeymouse warmups, skipping them like who cares.
But lets make it even worse, making them play twice a day, like today with Fed or Del Potro who at some point would realise that he needs to play 6 sets a day to make it through. Fed now needs to play 5 to play tomorrow, he is a fine pro and he'll fight, but I don't think he'll give it that little extra that he would give be it a regular match-a-day schedule.
ATP is just shooting themselves in the foot by degrading the quality of their best events for no reason.
Ok ill tell god to cut it out with the rain.

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
How about making every big tournament have a roof?

·
Registered
284 Posts
All the masters execpt the Sunshine double have a tight schedule where they have 6 days to get the main draw done, and no one can do anything with the weather.

And none of these masters are gonna invest in a roof, so it is what is just deal with it

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok ill tell god to cut it out with the rain.
Absolutely. Alternatively, you can inform the organizers that they don't actually have to schedule last 5 rounds in the last 5 days given they have a total of 7 or 8 and that there's an amazing thing called weather forecast allowing to predict the acts of gods with high degree of accuracy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Absolutely. Alternatively, you can inform the organizers that they don't actually have to schedule last 5 rounds in the last 5 days given they have a total of 7 or 8 and that there's an amazing thing called weather forecast allowing to predict the acts of gods with high degree of accuracy.
They actually only have 6 days for the main draw, monday to sunday, the other days are for the qualifying rounds.

Since most of the masters are back to back many of the top players would have played over the weekend

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
They actually only have 6 days for the main draw, monday to sunday, the other days are for the qualifying rounds.

Since most of the masters are back to back many of the top players would have played over the weekend
Monday to Sunday is 7 days, and some tournaments like Rome and Cincy have R1 matches on Sunday before most matches begin.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
nothing can be helped with the rain delays. WTA also had players also play matches twice in one day, even 2-3 hours apart.
What I find kind of unfair is that the guy playing semis at 7pm on Saturday, has to play the final 3pm on Sunday
that has always been the case. Madrid/Rome is one of the worst offenders in that regard, the 2016 Rome SF between Djokovic and Nishikori finished nearly 12am, final at 4pm while Murray had finished his SF match routinely at least 6-7 hours earlier.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
What can organizers do here? Not their fault that it was raining...and I don't expect Masters tournaments to install roofs...it's not economically feasible for these tournaments to install roof

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
How about making every big tournament have a roof?
lol what? Do you know how much does it cost? The Wimledoon Centre Court roof is estimated to cost roughly 80-100M Pounds and the estimated cost of roof for Court1 is around 70M Pounds...do you really think it's economically feasible for tournaments like Cincy to install a roof? Come on...

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
lol what? Do you know how much does it cost? The Wimledoon Centre Court roof is estimated to cost roughly 80-100M Pounds and the estimated cost of roof for Court1 is around 70M Pounds...do you really think it's economically feasible for tournaments like Cincy to install a roof? Come on...
You are right. I wrote that comment due to sheer frustration of constant rain delays. Of course it's not the fault of tournament organizers.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
What can organizers do here? Not their fault that it was raining...and I don't expect Masters tournaments to install roofs...it's not economically feasible for these tournaments to install roof
They can postpone, play on monday, tuesday if necessary...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I thought Federer liked playing 5 sets?

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Monday to Sunday is 7 days, and some tournaments like Rome and Cincy have R1 matches on Sunday before most matches begin.

Yeah, let's play all matches on Sunday before the tournament's even started just in casse there will be rain the next week! :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts