Votes: 4 18.2%
  • This saves our eyes from some mugfests

Votes: 2 9.1%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had to bring this up. In one of these recent tournaments in Washington, there are actually many courts that are not televised. What kind of bullshit is this? It's bad enough already that French Open and Wimbledon, for example, as Grand Slams have one or two courts still that are not televised. At least AO now televises all courts.

For some reason challenger tournaments are televised and ATP main events are not televised in all courts? WTF? :facepalm:

EDIT: Montreal also has courts which are not streamed. :mad: ATP, go eat a dick. :mad: :no:

·
24,466 Posts
I also don't understand how 250s and Challengers (the latter being free) have multiple courts streamed but only 1 for 500s. Actually this encourages tennis fanatics to probably try to watch the Challengers too though, but they need to be promoted a lot more.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It's dreadful for 500's. Big 500's like Rotterdam, Washington, Barcelona where top players are playing don't even have any other courts streamed. The only 500's that I can think of that do are Beijing, Queens and that's it. Barcelona was even worse this year I remember it didn't even have the first match on the main court televised like WTF :facepalm:

·
24,466 Posts
It's dreadful for 500's. Big 500's like Rotterdam, Washington, Barcelona where top players are playing don't even have any other courts streamed. The only 500's that I can think of that do are Beijing, Queens and that's it. Barcelona was even worse this year I remember it didn't even have the first match on the main court televised like WTF :facepalm:
I am not sure if Queen's did but it is probably due to BBC rather than the ATP Media.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't know if this plays a role, but in DC only the stadium court is a permanent, fixed seating court; all the other courts have temporary bleacher seating. I think this is the first year Hawkeye is even available on Grandstand Court 1 in DC.

EDIT: Not only is there temporary seating for all courts but the stadium court in DC, but some of the outer courts are not adjacent to one another. For example, in DC Grandstand Court 1 (and Court 3, which doesn't even have seating beyond a few lawn chairs but luckily is only used on one day of the tournament and primarily for women's doubles) is located north of the stadium, while Grandstand Court 2, Court 1, and Court 2 are all located south of the stadium in a row with one another (from west to east the order would be Court 2, Grandstand Court 2, and Court 1). So the #2 overall court is isolated from the #3, #4, and #5 overall courts. Again, I'm unsure how this factor impacts the ability to set live streaming for matches.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,930 Posts
I also don't understand how 250s and Challengers (the latter being free) have multiple courts streamed but only 1 for 500s. Actually this encourages tennis fanatics to probably try to watch the Challengers too though, but they need to be promoted a lot more.
And they even record full matches...

·
Registered
12,460 Posts
I don't know if this plays a role, but in DC only the stadium court is a permanent, fixed seating court; all the other courts have temporary seating. I think this is the first year Hawkeye is even available on Grandstand Court 1 in DC.
it is not a technical issue. All WTA matches from both STADIUM COURT and GRANDSTAND 1 were televised and streamed

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's just unbelievable. Tennis is at an all time low and the old people running the sport don't realize it. Every effin main draw match should be streamed. It only takes one cam. That's the minimum to promote the players and the sport.

·
Registered
672 Posts
it is not a technical issue. All WTA matches from both STADIUM COURT and GRANDSTAND 1 were televised and streamed
I wonder if that is related to 1) the tournament being televised on Tennis Channel (with Grandstand Court 1 matches being available on Tennis Channel Plus) and 2) the Citi Open being a higher level tournament for the men (a 500) than for the women (an International, or the equivalent of a 250).

·
Bring it Home
21,147 Posts
For some stupid reason I don't know what, ATP 500's aren't allowed to have more than 1 court televised on Tennis TV. They only have 2 courts televised when the local TV wants more than 1 court (examples: Rio and Queens). :shrug:

·
Registered
339 Posts
This problem about few TV courts at 500s and 1000s must have to do with some contract with ATP media which on the one hand ensures a great World Feed coverage from Day 1 from all these tournaments on TennisTV and all the TV stations but on the other hand seems to restrict such "betting site streams" which every 250 nowawdays seems to have from several courts (just a few fixed cameras sometimes which is enough though, and with these annoying stats after every other game and even the MP).

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems this is relevant again. :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts