Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I truly believe he's playing the worst tennis of his career at the moment (probably since Stuttgart last year). I realise his overall results haven't been that bad, but this is more because he's scraping out results thanks to a) his name and b) poor quality opponents making silly errors. As soon as he's come up against a guy playing even just reasonably well he has been destroyed (Nalbandian x2, Federer, Youzhny, Tsonga), not to mention the poor losses to Djokovic, Monaco, Ferrer and Seppi.

Now I don't usually buy into the moonballing shit, but I'm finding it increasingly hard to argue against it. The 'low in confidence' excuse for his performances is getting boring and doesn't cut it with me. Even during his worst moments on his least favourite surface, we'd still see flashes of brilliance, and he was more than capable of striking quite a lot of winners. Nowadays, we're lucky if we see 2 winners off his backhand in a match (it can still be very good when he's defending but during a rally it's a huge hindrance) and though his forehand can still be a big weapon, he doesn't use it enough. The depth on his shots is pathetic, and he still can't get cheap points off his serve. Watch a match from 2006 and you'll see what I mean.

I realise this has often been his worst period of his year, and perhaps I'm too harsh on him sometimes. But I honestly think it would be bad for him if he reaches #1. Without doubt, he's a stubborn guy and he's struggled to accept the fact that he needs to change his game to be successful on a hard court (he's done it on grass though), and I've seen enough matches on a hard court where he's been aggressive to believe he can do it (no matter what the haters say).

By reaching #1 the way he's playing, it would make it even harder for him to accept the fact he needs change his style. I had hoped some of the hammerings he had received at the end of last year might enable him to see the light, but it seems not. It's clear that although his movement is still good, it's not the same since all the problems with the knees started and if he carries on trying to simply get balls back from 5 metres behind the baseline and rely on errors, it's going to fuck him up even more.

I'll reserve further judgement until I see how he performs on clay, but I will I'm genuinely worried about his prospects. He's still the best player in the world on the surface, but his backhand will get him into big trouble if he carries on hitting it like he has been.

End of rant.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Oh, shut up and just appreciate. You will be helluva glad and excited, you're just in denial cause you're afraid it won't happen :ras:
Perso., I don't care of his level of play. He deserves to reach that top spot for everything he achieved so far and It'll be bad in the long term for Nadal if he didn't reached #1

Reactions: adee-gee

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
Apart all of these things you said Adam, I would be glad if I reached #1 even if I played crappiest tennis ever, and I would consider it my best life's achievement that I would be proud of in the very long term of my lifetime :eek:.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I truly believe he's playing the worst tennis of his career at the moment (probably since Stuttgart last year). I realise his overall results haven't been that bad, but this is more because he's scraping out results thanks to a) his name and b) poor quality opponents making silly errors. As soon as he's come up against a guy playing even just reasonably well he has been destroyed (Nalbandian x2, Federer, Youzhny, Tsonga), not to mention the poor losses to Djokovic, Monaco, Ferrer and Seppi.

Now I don't usually buy into the moonballing shit, but I'm finding it increasingly hard to argue against it. The 'low in confidence' excuse for his performances is getting boring and doesn't cut it with me. Even during his worst moments on his least favourite surface, we'd still see flashes of brilliance, and he was more than capable of striking quite a lot of winners. Nowadays, we're lucky if we see 2 winners off his backhand in a match (it can still be very good when he's defending but during a rally it's a huge hindrance) and though his forehand can still be a big weapon, he doesn't use it enough. The depth on his shots is pathetic, and he still can't get cheap points off his serve. Watch a match from 2006 and you'll see what I mean.

I realise this has often been his worst period of his year, and perhaps I'm too harsh on him sometimes. But I honestly think it would be bad for him if he reaches #1. Without doubt, he's a stubborn guy and he's struggled to accept the fact that he needs to change his game to be successful on a hard court (he's done it on grass though), and I've seen enough matches on a hard court where he's been aggressive to believe he can do it (no matter what the haters say).

By reaching #1 the way he's playing, it would make it even harder for him to accept the fact he needs change his style. I had hoped some of the hammerings he had received at the end of last year might enable him to see the light, but it seems not. It's clear that although his movement is still good, it's not the same since all the problems with the knees started and if he carries on trying to simply get balls back from 5 metres behind the baseline and rely on errors, it's going to fuck him up even more.

I'll reserve further judgement until I see how he performs on clay, but I will I'm genuinely worried about his prospects. He's still the best player in the world on the surface, but his backhand will get him into big trouble if he carries on hitting it like he has been.

End of rant.
I agree with your analysis of his playing, but I actually believer it would be the BEST thing is he could reach the top spot. I think his mad pursuit of the top spot is obvious...and I actually think it is PREVENTING him from changing or REALLY tinkering with his game. He is sticking with a pretty strong formula...and I believe he and Uncle Toni are shooting for the top spot...if even for a single week or two.

I think the best thing to happen, would be for him to reach the top spot...and then, not worry about it ever again. Just concentrate on the slams...adjusting your game in a fashion to try to win them all. AND, I think it is possible. Mats Wilander almost did it...why not Rafa?

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
I truly believe he's playing the worst tennis of his career at the moment (probably since Stuttgart last year).
He didn't play that badly at the US Open last year (apart from 1st round.) Certainly no worse than he did post Wimbledon 06.
I realise his overall results haven't been that bad, but this is more because he's scraping out results thanks to a) his name and b) poor quality opponents making silly errors. As soon as he's come up against a guy playing even just reasonably well he has been destroyed (Nalbandian x2, Federer, Youzhny, Tsonga),
Fair enough, though I'd say the above mentioned players ('cept Youzhny, that match had nothing to do with his play) were playing slightly above "reasonably well" :rolleyes:

not to mention the poor losses to Djokovic, Monaco, Ferrer and Seppi.
The losses to Nole and Ferrer weren't poor. He played fairly well in those matches.

Seppi I will give you.

He retired against Monaco, so I ignore it.

His lack of depth is annoying, and he should drop the backhand slice from his selection of shots right now.

I don't think he's "struggled to accept" that he needs to adjust his game. I think he's struggled to put it into practise. But very, very few players nowadays make any adjustment to their game from surface to surface. I know that's no excuse for Rafa, and I would love to see him play closer to the baseline, but I don't think he should be crucified for finding it hard to play away from his natural style.

All the problems with the knees started 3 years ago.

But he probably won't. Let's worry about that when it comes.

End of rant.
:zzz: Hater. :p
Apart all of these things you said Adam, I would be glad if I reached #1 even if I played crappiest tennis ever, and I would consider it my best life's achievement that I would be proud of in the very long term of my lifetime :eek:.
I agree with Nathaliia.

edit: He won't be reaching #1 anyway, so this thread is redundant :ras:

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
He didn't play that badly at the US Open last year (apart from 1st round.) Certainly no worse than he did post Wimbledon 06.

Fair enough, though I'd say the above mentioned players ('cept Youzhny, that match had nothing to do with his play) were playing slightly above "reasonably well" :rolleyes:

The losses to Nole and Ferrer weren't poor. He played fairly well in those matches.

Seppi I will give you.

He retired against Monaco, so I ignore it.

His lack of depth is annoying, and he should drop the backhand slice from his selection of shots right now.

I don't think he's "struggled to accept" that he needs to adjust his game. I think he's struggled to put it into practise. But very, very few players nowadays make any adjustment to their game from surface to surface. I know that's no excuse for Rafa, and I would love to see him play closer to the baseline, but I don't think he should be crucified for finding it hard to play away from his natural style.

All the problems with the knees started 3 years ago.

But he probably won't. Let's worry about that when it comes.

:zzz: Hater. :p

I agree with Nathaliia.

edit: He won't be reaching #1 anyway, so this thread is redundant :ras:
Adam just tries to troll kapranos style :yawn:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Yeah Nadal is too one-dimensional, but we've known this for years mate. :shrug:

As for the knee problems...I can only see them getting worse, to be honest. He relies so much on running down every ball, and needing to instantly change direction...the constant "jolting" motions (combined with hard court surfaces) really aren't good for the knees at all. From experience, patellar tendonitis is an absolute bitch...if he already has that (and I'd guess he has the start of it, having seen the heavy taping), the problems are only beginning for him.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I agree with the OP. I have always tried to see the positives in Nadal's game on hardcourts but of late it is becoming harder and harder. I won't say he doesn't deserve to be # 1 but I think he will be known as one of those who was # 1 for the shortest period of time which is a very dubious honor indeed.

Reactions: adee-gee

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
It would be said if you become #1 playing just the half of tennis. Hope he'll remind himself his Indian Wells 07 period

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeah Nadal is too one-dimensional, but we've known this for years mate. :shrug:

As for the knee problems...I can only see them getting worse, to be honest. He relies so much on running down every ball, and needing to instantly change direction...the constant "jolting" motions (combined with hard court surfaces) really aren't good for the knees at all. From experience, patellar tendonitis is an absolute bitch...if he already has that (and I'd guess he has the start of it, having seen the heavy taping), the problems are only beginning for him.

he is declining already we have known this for a long time which means he will lose FO this year for sure :devil:

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
I agree with the OP. I have always tried to see the positives in Nadal's game on hardcourts but of late it is becoming harder and harder. I won't say he doesn't deserve to be # 1 but I think he will be known as one of those who was # 1 for the shortest period of time which is a very dubious honor indeed.
It's embarrassing for me to see sensible fellow Rafafans discuss the #1 ranking like it's a genuine possibility in the near future :sad:

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not in any way suggesting he doesn't deserve to be #1, if he reached it of course he deserves it. I would say he was more deserving on 2006 or mid-2007 when he was playing much better tennis.

I challenge any Nadal fan to tell me they honestly enjoy his matches at the moment.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
It's embarrassing for me to see sensible fellow Rafafans discuss the #1 ranking like it's a genuine possibility in the near future :sad:
Well there's a reasonable chance he takes hold of it for at least a couple of weeks this year. :shrug:

Nole is set to be Federer's proper successor, but, while I consider him to be a stronger all-round player than Nadal, he might struggle to hold onto the top spot for an entire season at a time.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Rafa should fire uncle Toni, hire Brad Gilbert and move to Florida or California.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I am not talking about the near future:sad: In my assessment of his hard court game, I find that if he ever gets to the #1 ranking then he will stay there for the shortest possible time:shrug:

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Of course it isn't. He can gain points only on Miami and Hamburg, and not all that much at that. Meanwhile, whereas Djokovic could potentially gain massive points on clay (but has to defend Miami and try to win IW), Federer has an open field on IW and Miami and has to defend points on clay. Either way, both Federer and Djokovic have more space to gain points than Nadal.

If I were in his place, I would stop striving for that ranking and rather work towards winning Wimbledon and modifying the hardcourt tennis. This process will take months. The ranking will fall into place when he changes things. He may be the best claycourter ever and a great grass court player, but if he doesn't improve on hard, he is not going to have a very long or stable stay at the No. 1 position.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
I am not talking about the near future:sad: In my assessment of his hard court game, I find that if he ever gets to the #1 ranking then he will stay there for the shortest possible time:shrug:
If he had won Rotterdam and managed to get to #1 after Dubai then he would have had a short stay. Because he has gazillions of points coming off in the next few weeks, and Roger hardly any.

But his next real chance (all assuming he has a similar April-July as last year, which is not all that likely) will be after Wimbledon, when his competitor(s) have many more points to defend than he does. So his chances of staying #1 for a little longer increase, IMO.

I couldn't care less how long he stays at #1, if he ever gets there. 1 week would do. And in my list of career wishes for Rafa, the number 1 ranking is probably only wish #4.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts