Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again during the Murray-Djokovic match, a player asks the umpire whether or not to challenge, and gets rubbish advice!

Firstly, Murray shouldn't be asking the umpire in the first place. If you're going to challenge then challenge, if not then don't.

Secondly, the umpire shouldn't be sitting there saying it's definitely out when you cannot say this with any confidence over close calls because the human eye just cannot see them.

I think the ITF should pass a directive that states that players cannot seek the advice of umpires on challenges, and if they do the umpire is not to advise them. If you're going to challenge, do it off your own bat, or don't bother.

I would even consider banning umpires overruling, as half the time they don't get them right and they can't overrule half the court because they can't see it.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Yes, I think that's a good policy. Also if the umpire turns out to be wrong, then somebody as mentally fragile as Murray starts to think the umpire is against him.

It can't be long before Hawkeye is fast enough to call every point. Then umpires will become redundant.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Umpires should just be barred from saying anything. Just tell the player to challenge if they question it.

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
Did he ask for the umpire's opinion? If so, then it's his own fault. He's a grown man and he made his own decision (the decision to trust the umpire). No one should save him from that.

However, my impression is that Andy requested a challenge and Murphy basically talked him out of it. That is different. It wasn't the umpire's business to do so.

Interestingly, something similar happened in today's women's final, Halep challenged a ball she hit out and the umpire said "it was out by this much" and showed a few inches with her fingers. Halep was undeterred and demanded a challenge, and the ball was, in fact, out by a fair margin.

The umpires should only offer their opinions when asked, but I don't see any harm in it. It's ultimately the player's decision.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Besides, in the majority of cases will an umpire not in fact think that the ball was as called? Otherwise he would have overruled.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I can't wait until hawk-eye becomes such a staple in professional tennis that it displaces line umpires altogether. No more shitty calls from line umpires, especially in lower level tournaments where you have ones who are half-blind and there is no hawk-eye.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes, everybody remembers what umpire (and linesman earlier) did in Wawrinka-Djokovic classic from AO '13 when he told Wawrinka not to challenge his return which touched the line, and that was break point in a decider...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad everyone agrees. I can't believe the umpires sitting there and being so emphatic about it when it is hard to call a 130mph serve. The human eye just cannot see it. If they're going to say anything, they should say "I can't be certain, but I thought it was out", not sit there saying it was definitely out when it was in by a few millimetres. There's no way the human eye can see that with certainty. I would just like to see it written into the laws that the umpires can't be asked for advice and can't give it. The guy just looks like a total idiot now, and it was so avoidable.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Totally agree. But really it's the players fault they should not ask as it is cheating and the umpires should keep their gobs shut as it is cheating. Let the players decide.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Yes, I think that's a good policy. Also if the umpire turns out to be wrong, then somebody as mentally fragile as Murray starts to think the umpire is against him.

It can't be long before Hawkeye is fast enough to call every point. Then umpires will become redundant.
the umpire in this case literally gave Murray a violation for accidentally touching a camera with his racket when walking by with his towel. in some cases these umpires clearly ARE against certain players they don't like

·
Registered
29,200 Posts
Dumbass thread.

Yes the umpire was bad today but normally if the ump doesn't know then he just says "it's close" (which doesn't help the player at all). And in most cases when the ump says "it's out" then he actually saves the player from wasting a challenge. :shrug:
Even on days when the ump is doing a bad job, it's the player's choice if he wants to listen to his instinct and challenge anyway.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Umpires should have the right to give their opinion as they've seen it. It's up to the player to accept it or challenge. If they've decided to take the word of the umpire, it's the players' error in judgement for not using the technology. Would've been Murray's beef to handle for not challenging had he lost that game.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Once again during the Murray-Djokovic match, a player asks the umpire whether or not to challenge, and gets rubbish advice!

Firstly, Murray shouldn't be asking the umpire in the first place. If you're going to challenge then challenge, if not then don't.

Secondly, the umpire shouldn't be sitting there saying it's definitely out when you cannot say this with any confidence over close calls because the human eye just cannot see them.

I think the ITF should pass a directive that states that players cannot seek the advice of umpires on challenges, and if they do the umpire is not to advise them. If you're going to challenge, do it off your own bat, or don't bother.

I would even consider banning umpires overruling, as half the time they don't get them right and they can't overrule half the court because they can't see it.
Similarly to umpires voicing their opinions on line-calls, you should also be banned from voicing your opinion.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Umpires should have the right to give their opinion as they've seen it. It's up to the player to accept it or challenge. If they've decided to take the word of the umpire, it's the players' error in judgement for not using the technology. Would've been Murray's beef to handle for not challenging had he lost that game.
I agree, but should avoid using words like "definitely".

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I totally agree with the people saying Murray has to accept at least some of the blame that what happened. But in my view the best way to deal with this would just be to make it clear that umpires can't offer advice or their opinion on line calls.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Yea I think "definitely" was a bit too much, but hey, he's an umpire, and he's a part of the game, same as any other sport. If his judgement decides a crucial point, so be it. You can call it cheating, or whatever, but nowhere is it stated, that absolute justice will always prevail in a game of tennis.

Umpires should be allowed to give their opinion, that's why they are there for. And Andy has a choice to challenge it or not. His call completely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts