Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
The word latino has different meanings in different places. The use that is given to the word in this forum, is the American one (USA). I personally, don't like it. The forum shoud be called "Chicos Latinoamericanos" or "Latin American players" or keep it like it is, and add the Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French and Rumanian in it.

Wikipedia said:
Just as, for example, an American of Irish descent is an Irish American and an American of Middle Eastern descent is a Middle Eastern American, an American of Latin American descent is a Latin American American. However, the word Latino has come to be used instead. It is perhaps borrowed from Spanish latino, shortened from latinoamericano.(wikt:latino, m-w)

Latino refers strictly to any American having Latin American background. Although people from Spain self-categorize as latinos in the Spanish language, that translates as "Latin", as the Spanish are one of the Latin peoples of Europe (along with the French, Italians, et al), not of Latin America. Though Latino is often taken to be a synonym with "Hispanic", the two terms are not actually identical.

Perhaps due mostly to the fact that "Latino" is generally recognized, incorrectly, by the average American as a synonym of "Hispanic", some Brazilian Americans (who are Portuguese speakers), when included under the Latino definition may or may not feel comfortable, but the latter seems to be the most common occurrence. Other non-Spanish speaking people originating from other Latin American countries may feel similarly due to the perceived negation of their language and diverse ethnic heritage by the generalization of the term.
On this topic, I would like an Italian forum if there are posters who would keep it busy. And it seems there are.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The word latino has different meanings in different places. The use that is given to the word in this forum, is the American one (USA). I personally, don't like it. The forum shoud be called "Chicos Latinoamericanos" or "Latin American players" or keep it like it is, and add the Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French and Rumanian in it.

On this topic, I would like an Italian forum if there are posters who would keep it busy. And it seems there are.
Everyone can write something in Wikipedia so it doesn't have to be true.

·
3,921 Posts
:topic: sorry :eek:

Well, I don´t like the term "Latino"..., I don´t even think it´s a word (in English I mean)...

I have no problem with the "Chicos Latinos" title, as it is in Spanish :p and it is something like "Latin Guys" in English, which are definitely NOT ONLY Latin American players :dance:

I do feel a little (just a little) uncomfortable with the apparent equivalence between chicos latinos and only Southamerican players.

In this case what´s written there is quite accurate. I guess WillyCañas didn´t want to type all that :lol: , I wouldn´t either :lol:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,353 Posts
I'm here everyday and I'll keep it busy for sure :p

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
In this case, it is. Also that use of the word Latino, is spreading in some latin american countries... like Mexico.

:topic: sorry :eek:

Well, I don´t like the term "Latino"..., I don´t even think it´s a word (in English I mean)...

I have no problem with the "Chicos Latinos" title, as it is in Spanish :p and it is something like "Latin Guys" in English, which are definitely NOT ONLY Latin American players :dance:

I do feel a little (just a little) uncomfortable with the apparent equivalence between chicos latinos and only Southamerican players.
yes, yes and yes. I agree.

I'm here everyday and I'll keep it busy for sure :p
Give them the forum!!!!!

:p

·
Ace Loveforty
83,353 Posts

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Let's finish with this OT. Actually i was wrong as well. For the Frenchies it's minus the Lorrains, Alsacians (Germanics), the Bretons (Celtics) and Créoles (from the DOM-TOMs). Not the Picards who are Latins since millenaries just like the Occitans, Arpitans, Normans, Poitevins-Saintongeais, Roussillonais Catalans, Corsicans and Basques from Iparralde. :eek:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Volandri, Starace, Seppi, Di Mauro, Luzzi, Sanguinetti, Bracciali... it would we good if they could be found in the same forum.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,353 Posts
Fognini and Bolelli too :rocker2:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,353 Posts
come on Stevo, do it :)

·
Ace Loveforty
83,353 Posts
Tijn, why dont you gently ask for it in the dark side of the moon?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,353 Posts
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.