Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 times in a row no less,credit to him

with such a massive forehand and serving,Raonic is exactly the type of player that could have toyed with Djokovic,like federer stubbornly insisted:“i always liked to play him”

it seems that he finally released his full(or not) potential

from today on,Djokovic fans probably have to add another player to the list of players they wish Djokovic could avoid before the final
😱

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
Let's not make a big deal out of it, should Raonic manage to beat Djokovic today. It's only Bo3. Watch Raonic getting kicked out before the 2nd week of USO.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's not make a big deal out of it, should Raonic manage to beat Djokovic today. It's only Bo3. Watch Raonic getting kicked out before the 2nd week of USO.
first of all,a breadstick is a breadstick

second of all,even though raonic lost today,he actually believed he can win and he fights until the last point,this is crucial,everyone seems to talk about how good his backhand has become,but in the end the belief that he can beat the world no1 is far more troubling for Djokovic

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Well he hasn't lost yet so maybe the problem is with you.

·
Premium Member
21,599 Posts
with such a massive forehand and serving,Raonic is exactly the type of player that could have toyed with Djokovic,like federer stubbornly insisted:“i always liked to play him”
When Raonic doesn't get easy points off his serve (and Novak reads his serve pretty well), he usually falls back into low percentage play - trying to paint the lines and hit huge winners/shorten the rallies. He did the same today in the 2nd and 3rd set and against Novak on a normal day that's not going to work.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Agree with the BO3/BO5 take. Djokovic too steady particularly for a BO5.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
10/10 aged well.

Reactions: WhatdidIdo

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
ban thread, delete OP. what a clown.

·
Premium Member
8,646 Posts
Why is it baffling? Other than being a better tennis player, Djokovic has the mentality of a champion, while Raonic has mentality of a loser.

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Djokovic is likely the greatest player of all time and certainly the greatest returner of all time. Not really sure why it would be surprising that he'd be able to beat Raonic so often. He neutralizes Raonic's primary strength unlike anybody else in the world. It's the worst possible matchup for Raonic and a very good one for DJokovic.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
It's not baffling at all. Novak is a terrible matchup for him game wise. He neutralizes the raonic serve better than anyone

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
It's not baffling at all. Novak is a terrible matchup for him game wise. He neutralizes the raonic serve better than anyone
Why is it that players like Roddick and Kyrgios who in essence play the same big serve plus big forehand game as Raonic have positive H2Hs against Novak. Is it the slices plus sudden injection of pace from Roddick and Kyrgios that is the essence while Raonic's rhytmic big forehands are easier to defend from him?

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Why is it that players like Roddick and Kyrgios who in essence play the same big serve plus big forehand game as Raonic have positive H2Hs against Novak. Is it the slices plus sudden injection of pace from Roddick and Kyrgios that is the essence while Raonic's rhytmic big forehands are easier to defend from him?
Roddick is because he played a mostly pre-prime Djokovic (all of his wins were prior to 2011) and Kyrgios is because he played Djokovic twice in arguably the worst year of his career (2017).

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Djokovic is likely the greatest player of all time and certainly the greatest returner of all time. Not really sure why it would be surprising that he'd be able to beat Raonic so often. He neutralizes Raonic's primary strength unlike anybody else in the world. It's the worst possible matchup for Raonic and a very good one for DJokovic.
You're missing the point.

Milos Raonic has had 11 opportunities to beat Novak Djokovic and has won 0, taking only 4 sets.

There have been many players who have managed to beat Novak Djokovic - that's the point. Denis Istomin doesn't exactly match up well against a player who trumps him in every department several times over, but he had the balls to beat him.

Milos Raonic, as much as it pains me to say this as a big fan of his, does not seem to have in him what it takes to win a big event. Both physically and mentally poor.

·
Premium Member
21,599 Posts
Most of Roddick's wins happened during the first half of 2009 when Roddick was playing some of his best tennis (almost beat Roger at that Wimbledon) and Novak had just changed his racket to Head and was still finding his game - he only won 1 masters that year (Paris) and reached one Slam SF (USO).

Kyrgios is a better example - when on, his serve is as good as Milos's, and he has far more variety/less predictable.

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Milos Raonic, as much as it pains me to say this as a big fan of his, does not seem to have in him what it takes to win a big event. Both physically and mentally poor.
You've been trashing Raonic on this forum for about a decade now. I won't even bother humouring you with a response to your self-serving nonsense.

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Most of Roddick's wins happened during the first half of 2009 when Roddick was playing some of his best tennis (almost beat Roger at that Wimbledon) and Novak had just changed his racket to Head and was still finding his game - he only won 1 masters that year (Paris) and reached one Slam SF (USO).

Kyrgios is a better example - when on, his serve is as good as Milos's, and he has far more variety/less predictable.
I suspect if Kyrgios played Djokovic a dozen times, he'd also have a similarly poor H2H against Novak (which basically every player in history does outside of Federer and Nadal).

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
You've been trashing Raonic on this forum for about a decade now. I won't even bother humouring you with a response to your self-serving nonsense.
Stepping into your shoes, I can see why you wouldn't. You signed up to the forum in October 2011 in order to champion this guy as a future number 1 and slam winner.

For my money, he has done well. Reaching several AMS finals and winning a 500 event. You should take a leaf out of my book, as a big fan of his since he defeated Mikhail Youzhny at the Australian Open in 2011 (my posts are all here) and accept his shortcomings. He has done well. He is filthy rich (and appears to be enjoying the fruits of his labour prematurely), has had a career 99.9% could only ever dream of and still entertains fans to this day, for which I am thankful. Above all, he's a lovely bloke.

You need to relax.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Roddick is because he played a mostly pre-prime Djokovic (all of his wins were prior to 2011) and Kyrgios is because he played Djokovic twice in arguably the worst year of his career (2017).
Thats pretty reductive. Kyrgios owned Djokovic in the matches he won. Sure Roddick played pre peak Novak, but it was not like Novak as a mug in 2009 or 2017 before getting injured. Roddick was really good back then, no shame in losing to him. There are clearly match up related issues to why Roddick and Kyrgios do well against him. Sure when Novak is in peak 2011 form he beats everyone, but its absurd to suggest that the reason both of these players did well against Novak soley has to do with Novak

1 - 20 of 50 Posts