1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Great news!! Guess the prize money also won't be that bad as I could assume them to donate more than the minimum. Could also attract more guys to play Bucharest the week before but that remains to be seen :wavey:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Well it took so long, surprised that such huge city lik eIstanbul didn´t have tournament sooner, i think this tournament shold be good - sponsors, people in crowd - i guess it will be one of richest 250s on the tour

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I wonder if the WTA calendar will move Istanbul here and become a combined event as they only have 1 event that week.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Sounds impressive and clearly they have ambitions to develop this into a 500 or more in the future. Makes sense as Turkey is one of the biggest Emerging Markets after the BRIC countries.

The centre court features a retractable roof and will provide seating for 7,500 people

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It´s nice to see Istanbul getting a tournament, but that is a really bad place in the calendar. It will be difficult to get any top names there. Belgrad struggled for a few years in a similar spot and gave up, and they had Nole playing. Hopefully it will work out, though.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
The week of the vultures just became even more vulture-ish.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Munich and the Portugal Open have been around since 1990 in the ATP circuit and they have a very loyal field (Munich with Germans, Italians, Central European players; Estoril with the Portuguese/Spanish speaking players).

This is why Belgrade struggled in getting very interesting fields, even though they are a top country in tennis and immediately had three good players to be there almost every year. Who is Istanbul going to attract? Asian players? They would rather play in the Asian challengers on hardcourt rather on clay. Americans? Too far. French players? Unlikely, with Portugal and Germany much more nearby...

They gotta invest in recruiting a top 10 player, but it is still going to be hard. WTA has some tournaments around this area of the globe and they struggle to get good fields there.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts