·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jarkko :worship:

·
Registered
14,852 Posts
Marsel managed to hit 30+ UEs in 19 games. Good. Jarkko did nothing, his serve was woeful. Roger should be very comfortable tomorrow.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Ferrer, Youzhny and Nieminen fighting for that record.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
0/8.

Also nieminen was just pushing. Disgusting tennis by the Finn.

Marsel imploded himself, more agresssive player but oh my tons of errors, long shot in the rallies where he dominated easily. That 2-1 game in the second set decided all

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hard to win a match when you are hitting so many UE like Ilhan today. Quite a few of them came from Nieminen being too much for him in a longer rallys. Jarkko basically knew if he can keep the ball inside the lines Ilhan won't be able to keep up. Well done Jarkko? and GL to Ilhan.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Hard to win a match when you are hitting so many UE like Ilhan today. Quite a few of them came from Nieminen being too much for him in a longer rallys. Jarkko basically knew if he can keep the ball inside the lines Ilhan won't be able to keep up. Well done Jarkko? and GL to Ilhan.

I wonder why more agressive players, when finding out that they do many UEs on that day, do not just transform to a pusher or defensive syle, therefore escaping errors. They can't or they don't want to?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
MONSOON season.
82,480 Posts
Marsel :help: Nieminen these days is not a bad draw.

A few years ago I thought Marsel could be a solid Top 100 player, but I have given up that thought :sobbing:

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
jarkko :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Marsel :help: Nieminen these days is not a bad draw.

A few years ago I thought Marsel could be a solid Top 100 player, but I have given up that thought :sobbing:
it's a ridiculously kind draw, Nieminen on clay, and you're playing at home... Olivo (!!!) managed to do it, how the hell Ilhan got straight-setted is beyond me. Glad for Jarkko, of course, still getting some wins in the main tour. Roger next :lol: at least he's only lost 14 matches so far, heh.

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts
Good. Jarkko hasn't done that well lately

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys are talking as if Niemo is some kind of challenger mug when it's almost the other way around.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
You guys are talking as if Niemo is some kind of challenger mug when it's almost the other way around.
no. He's the sort of guy who loses to challenger mugs in his worst surface... On clay this year: barely beat Cecchinato, lost to Olivo and lost to PHM... his only comfortable wins were against Arneodo and Balleret in DC (both outside top 300).
Such a comfortable win, against Ilhan who's #80 in the world, is an exception, not the rule for Nemo.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no. He's the sort of guy who loses to challenger mugs in his worst surface... On clay this year: barely beat Cecchinato, lost to Olivo and lost to PHM... his only comfortable wins were against Arneodo and Balleret in DC (both outside top 300).
Such a comfortable win, against Ilhan who's #80 in the world, is an exception, not the rule for Nemo.
I think it was the first time that Niemo played the SA swing during the winter, one can't really fault him too much for losing to Olivo at his age. For the very reason that clay is his worst surface one should also take into account that he's beaten Del Potro, Ferrero (close to beating him 3 times iirc), Djokovic and a few others. I don't know how many chances Ilhan will have in his career to have such wins, yes time has gone by but Niemo is the kind of guy who takes his job seriously and you can't expect him to beat himself just because his retirement is closer.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
I didn't say Nemo would beat himself, or tank, or anything of the sort. Indeed, he always takes it seriously, I know. :)
Those matches you mention are in the very distant past. Last year on clay he lost to Istomin, Kamke, Janowicz (just after Jerzy lost a million matches in a row), Falla (got trashed), *barely* got past Przysiezny at RG... he's been weak on clay for a long while.

I was there for the Olivo match, Jarkko was outplayed and needed Renzo to suck for a bit (and to fight a lot) to even take a set. He had many good results in the past, but... that's it, the past :p Even if you wanted to ignore Rio/Buenos Aires, his Montecarlo loss to PHM (have you seen Paulo recently? :lol: ) is telling. Ilhan's better than most players Jarkko played on clay this year (all, except Monaco) and he was playing at home. But all matches have something different, some posters have said Ilhan was quite bad, or maybe Jarkko had a good day, I don't know. My point is he can't be expected to win matches *on clay* anymore unless his opposition is pretty weak, and even if it is, it's tough for Jarkko.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea i'm not saying Niemo was to be considered favorite, as the guys said Ilhan sprayed errors so this could have been closer. PHM was actually playing good tennis in February-March, he just isn't getting results even when plays decently but you he has age and mental factor.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
This match is nothing to do with Nieminen, he just pushed, and kept the ball inside. He was okay on this, i give him that. Rest of it, Ilhan being agressive and spraying errors, with his impatiance. That's it. Nemo won't win more than 4 games tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts