Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I bit of history for you:

Mayer beats Souza in longest Davis Cup singles match ever | TENNIS.com

This was on clay. Mayer went dehydrated to the hospital after the match. Here's his opinion on the match:

Leonardo Mayer: "Porque é que não jogam os dirigentes? Isto mata" - Ténis Portugal (use Google Translator)

This took weeks to recover from that. Then don't complain about the tour being full of injuries and gassed players and "weak eras". The tour need to protect the players so we can watch high level tennis most of the year.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I saw Opelka play and I thought his serve was quite underwhelming for a guy who’s nearly 7 feet fall.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bit of history for you:

Mayer beats Souza in longest Davis Cup singles match ever | TENNIS.com

This was on clay. Mayer went dehydrated to the hospital after the match. Here's his opinion on the match:

Leonardo Mayer: "Porque é que não jogam os dirigentes? Isto mata" - Ténis Portugal (use Google Translator)

This took weeks to recover from that. Then don't complain about the tour being full of injuries and gassed players and "weak eras". The tour need to protect the players so we can watch high level tennis most of the year.
Fair enough, but I think Davis Cup is a different situation because it's squeezed between regular tour events. I have come to accept that change.

You got to remember these are freak matches that happen every blue moon. More often with the players I mentioned, but they are retiring soon.
Otherwise you could rather change other things to make the game itself less grueling.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
We'll be entering a low quality era soon after the big 4 are gone, you won't get matches like Wimby SFs. You'll get epic mugfests where players are vying to outshank each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts