Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"There are only four players inside the Top 20 of the ATP Rankings who have finished each of the past 10 years inside the Top 20. The first three are the Big Three of Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer. The fourth: American John Isner, who ends 2019 at World No. 19 even after missing three months due to a broken foot."

·
28,675 Posts
I still remember when he came out of nowhere to make the final of Washington in 2007. Doesn't feel too long ago.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Awesome! Love the big fella. His game when he is healthy and playing well too me has always been underrated. Loved seeing him win Miami last year, and get back to the final this year (too bad he sustained an injury in the final). He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he has been in some classic matches.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Great career for someone with historic serve and nothing else. Although, his forehand came along over the years. He wouldn't be good enough to be on the main Tour without his serve (he's 7 feet tall, duh). So, he is an overachiever, and I respect that. Now, we have Opelka, who's not just a giant who can serve out of a tree. But, is an actual all around tennis player. He's actually going to compete for Majors. But, for now, kudos to Isner.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Long Ass Ner is the 4th greatest in the history. That's it.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Great career for someone with historic serve and nothing else. Although, his forehand came along over the years. He wouldn't be good enough to be on the main Tour without his serve (he's 7 feet tall, duh). So, he is an overachiever, and I respect that. Now, we have Opelka, who's not just a giant who can serve out of a tree. But, is an actual all around tennis player. He's actually going to compete for Majors. But, for now, kudos to Isner.

I don’t see Opelka doing much better than Isner tbh. He moves better and has a better backhand but Isner’s forehand is better and his serve is better atm but that could change in the future. Overall, they’re pretty much the same player bar those slight differences.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Awesome! Love the big fella. His game when he is healthy and playing well too me has always been underrated. Loved seeing him win Miami last year, and get back to the final this year (too bad he sustained an injury in the final). He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he has been in some classic matches.
Nice to see someone who actually appreciates what he’s done. I understand why people find him boring but people can’t respect him to be able to play any other way due to his size. He’s been able to win a masters, qualify for WTF, and make a slam semi despite his physical limitations so he’s had a hell of a career. Along with that, when he’s playing well, he’s incredibly dangerous and can take out the very best as we’ve seen before.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don’t see Opelka doing much better than Isner tbh. He moves better and has a better backhand but Isner’s forehand is better and his serve is better atm but that could change in the future. Overall, they’re pretty much the same player bar those slight differences.
Time will tell. However, "slight differences"? That's laughable.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'll never forget Isner's 2012 Davis Cup win over Federer on clay in Switzerland. I didn't watch the match live, but remember doing one of the hardest double takes of my life as I was checking scores that day.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Time will tell. However, "slight differences"? That's laughable.

I don’t really see that much of a difference between them. I just see Opelka’s backhand and movement are better and Isner’s forehand is better and his serve is slightly better atm. They even have really similar service motions. They both pretty much just hit a bunch of aces and slap the first ball that they can set up for or they’ll go to the net a few times as well.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I'll never forget Isner's 2012 Davis Cup win over Federer on clay in Switzerland. I didn't watch the match live, but remember doing one of the hardest double takes of my life as I was checking scores that day.
Isner hit 3 straight return winners to win that match and who would’ve thought Isner would win a set with multiple breaks against someone like Federer. Pretty amazing stuff.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still remember when he came out of nowhere to make the final of Washington in 2007. Doesn't feel too long ago.
Me too! 5 straight matches won in third set tiebreakers. Crazy stuff for anyone, let alone someone ranked #416 against the likes of Henman, Haas and Monfils.

·
6,419 Posts
Nobody enjoys playing him, that tells you something!
Has peaked at Number 8, and made it to London at least once from memory, even if as a substitute.
Well done to Big John, a very consistent and quiet achiever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts