1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think

Options: i separate HC, because they are many types

indoor HC:

advantages: indoor conditions perfect for guy like him, no distructions when he is serving or going for big FH, mostly faster surfaces
disadvantages: mostly lower bounce indoors, he is 2nd tallest guy so it is not good in rallies for him. Also indoors conditions can favour other guys with big serve, agressive tennis- Tsonga defeated him in Paris with the same weapons John can use

outdoor slow HC:

advantages: slow HC together with higher bounce generally means John has more time for his movement, return, deffense, ball is jumping to his striking zone.

disadvantages: his serve can be less effective when going for pace-raw speed, howewer his kick serve is jumping higher and is more effective. Also in rallies he can´t hit through opponents o easily and in rallies.

outdoor fast HC

advantages: his serve can get him more free points, his FH can dictate easily, can hit through opponents easily, quicker rallies on his own serve.

disadvantages: he has less time for setting up points in rallies, less time for his movement and deffense. Other guys can benefit more from their own serves and can dictate in rallies easier after their own serves.

clay

advantages: has enough time for setting up points, high bounce - ball is jumping to his striking zone, enough time for movement, deffense, his footwork on clay is getting better
disadvantages: can be forced to long rallies, make more errors, because game is slower and other guys can get more balls back than he is used to, also his serve is less effective

grass

advantages: his serve can be very effective, if he dominates rallies, can hit more winners in rallies than usually. Can play at the net, use more volleys.

disadvantages: lower bounce can trouble him in rallies, also his ROS is worse on grass than on other surfaces. Slice can bother him, both on serve and on groundstrokes.

·
A happy person
44,905 Posts
Outdoor hard. I think indoor isn't that good, he needs to play too lot of tie-breaks. He isn't a grass court player neither and well.. he was good against Federer on clay but that was indoor. :p I think outdoor clay isn't that good for him.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Clay of course.Highest bouncing,slide easily.

Surfaces at the IW are slow,but not as high bouce as clay.He also can't slide here.

·
A happy person
44,905 Posts
You will be surprised, I don't count on Isner on outdoor clay. Maybe indoor, sadly there are indoor clay in Davis Cup only. :rolleyes: Maybe Madrid isn't that terrible.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Taking Nadal to 5 at FO is proof enough for the American clay courter.

·
A happy person
44,905 Posts
Taking Nadal to 5 at FO is proof enough for the American clay courter.
Yeah but.. look the rest of the clay season.. Lost to Chela twice very easily, 4-6, 1-6 and 1-6, 6-7. Lost to Mello in two, Stakovsky in three and beaten Lindell and Fish, it's his last clay season. Plus Houston, beaten Zeballos but lost to Karlovic.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Last year he lost in 1st round at Delray Beach,and lost in 2nd round at IW.

Just wait until the end of this season.

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
a high bouncing hardcourt, doesn't really natter fast or slow.....

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Basketball pitch...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
His best shot is his serve, he is a tall guy with a limited movement, doesn´t hit his groundstrokes with a lot of spin and, consequently, makes a lot of errors and can´t play long rallies. Now why on earth would clay be his best surface is beyond me...

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
totally hilarious so many people saying clay
+1
And this comes from an Isner fan here.
I think you are all a bit overrating his clay form because of two kind of "fluke" matches, because:

1. def. Federer in 4 -> this match was played firstly on an altitude of about 600 metres (like Madrid and Munich) plus it was indoors which makes the court even faster and you also know how it goes with freshly laid indoor clay courts for DC ties, they are all fast and have lots of bad bounces. Indeed Isner played the match on his life because the conditions suited him but it's not that the clay was the big factor here

2. lost to Nadal in 5 -> Roland Garros also plays almost like a HC plus Rafa was utterly unconfident at that time and Isner played great of course, but he does this most of the time when he meets a top gun in a top tournament (he also played quite well against Murray @USO last year I think)

It's very hard to find the best surface for Isner. I think it depends on his opponent. If he plays a rather weak server with better return game he will want to play indoors because he's almost unbreakable there and can go for his return and hope for return winners. But when his opponent's skills are the other way round, then he would want to play on a slow Hardcourt of course (but not on clay, look at his clay results bar the matches against Rafa and Roger and the Nole one which I forgot, but he was also slumping big during that time).

In the end, if I have to name a particular surface, I will say Indian Wells Hardcourts because
the dry desert air makes the ball fly more which is good for his serve and big baseline hitting
the bounce is very very high so the balls bounce onto his hitting zone
the bounce is slow so he has enough time to set up his shots and especially the return.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts