Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's up there :) I have a lot of respect for Murray but his level has been abysmal lately. This loss from Zverev was an embarrassment!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wise up clown. Murray is a far better player than Zverev. No shame in losing to someone who is simply better.
Murray is way better than Zverev, but in 2020 Murray's level was barely top 100, sad to see, like 30% of his peak level.

·
Registered
451 Posts
No its fine losing ATG Murray regardless of the fact that his way past his prime Zverev worst loss was to big match loser Thiem at us open after being up sets 2-0 and a break.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Everyone has a loss like that.

e.g. Murray himself in that 2010 Hopman Cup final against Robredo. His underdog partner gave GB a 1-0 lead and then Andy "I'm not going to lose" Murray came out oozing arrogance, playing like a million dollars and setting up a matchwinning lead. Then the UEs rained down late in the second set and Robredo pounced as he does. I was amazed that Murray made the AO final just weeks after that public pieing.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Everyone has a loss like that.

e.g. Murray himself in that 2010 Hopman Cup final against Robredo. His underdog partner gave GB a 1-0 lead and then Andy "I'm not going to lose" Murray came out oozing arrogance, playing like a million dollars and setting up a matchwinning lead. Then the UEs rained down late in the second set and Robredo pounced as he does. I was amazed that Murray made the AO final just weeks after that public pieing.
Hopman cup is a useless exhibition and doesn’t count

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
No because:

A: Murray is probably the worst possible match-up for Zverev. Peak motivated Murray would probably win 19/20 sets against Zverev at least.
B: Top players usually don't put in much effort into a tournament that is played 1 week before a slam

·
Registered
167 Posts
I saw that match and enjoyed watching it. Murray played his heart out, left everything out on the court.

Did anybody watch Dominic Thiem vs Filip Krajinovic in Cini? That one was strange too.

Both UO finalists lost early.

·
Registered
21,903 Posts
His loss to a 37-year-old Ferrer who retired a month later was epic as well :cool:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You obviously haven't watched a lot of the Hopman Cup.
The point is that Hopman was not exhibition but an official ITF competition, which required conditions to participate (ITF ranking), but did not give points through ATP, nor did it integrate into h2h by ATP.

However the last 3 seasons with Federer and Zverev have given interesting editions, especially as a mini preparation for AO.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
not really. Murray played quite well against Tiafoe and Zverev in "Cincy". Certainly not his best but it was a higher level than he produced for the remainder of the year. In fact Andy is on record saying those matches are what are inspiring him to keep going.

And Zverev's career is littered with embarrassing losses so even on name alone losing to Murray is not that bad.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
No, you are clueless if you think this seriously. 15% he wouldn't win any match on the main tour. Even 30% was a hyperbole.
Uh no in his prime, he won slams and was consistently making it to the last few rounds in the biggest tournaments. Now he is barely beating Nishioka and getting straight setter by FAA. Also got destroyed by his pigeon Raonic. He can’t even make it to the second week anymore. 15% sounds about right.

·
King Of Tennis
3,247 Posts
Yes, beyond embarrassing. Even his brother managed to beat Murray in a way I've never seen anyone other than King pulverise him on Rod Laver Arena.

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
It is indeed. I thought about it not too long ago, he was absolutely ghastly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts