Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Zverev’s 2020 USO the worst run to a slam final ever?

He has lost 6 sets on his run to the final and has not beaten any significant player.

Yes its true that Nadal or Federer had some easy paths to GS finals but at least they looked dominant.

But the fact with Zverev is that he is not looking any dominant at all. He has had big problems with all his rivals (except Davidovich) and I think no one would be surprised If Thiem demolished him tomorrow.

So discuss is Zverevs run to USO 2020 GS final, one of the patchiest ever?

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
When you have players like Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka, del Potro, Nishikori, Tsonga... etc missing the tournament its pretty obvious you are going to have it easier.

Its not like Thiem had to overcome juggernaut players.
If only Kei Nishikori and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga were in the event maybe Dominic Thiem may have just been able to best these juggernauts.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If only Kei Nishikori and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga were in the event maybe Dominic Thiem may have just been able to best these juggernauts.
Possibly. But dont forget Thiem entered the tournament aged 27 and had never beaten a better player than Kevin Anderson in New York.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Possibly. But dont forget Thiem entered the tournament aged 27 and had never beaten a better player than Kevin Anderson in New York.
I think Dominic Thiem is playing at a good level, but I don't think he wins the event under normal circumstances. It's likely that if Novak Djokovic hits that ball another foot either side of the lines person then he wins the event.

Although one has to bear in mind that his record was similar in Australia, having not beaten anybody any decent until this year, so he still would've been in with a chance.

I hope he beats Alexander Zverev because he has been terrible to watch in this event.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
It’s not the opponents he met, but the level he showed. Pretty much top 50 level of play.

Reactions: Mateya

·
Registered
872 Posts
I thought USO was “asterisked and garbage” because Fed or Nadal were perfect tennis dolls/men of integrity?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have been following tennis for a very long time and as far as I remember it is one of the easiest run to a GS final and despite an easy draw, he lost 6 sets. He has been playing a poor and boring tennis, but credit to him, he always found a way to win.

·
12,432 Posts
Is Zverev’s 2020 USO the worst run to a slam final ever?

He has lost 6 sets on his run to the final and has not beaten any significant player.

Yes its true that Nadal or Federer had some easy paths to GS finals but at least they looked dominant.

But the fact with Zverev is that he is not looking any dominant at all. He has had big problems with all his rivals (except Davidovich) and I think no one would be surprised If Thiem demolished him tomorrow.

So discuss is Zverevs run to USO 2020 GS final, one of the patchiest ever?
No

Anderson is a multi finalist

Coric has been ranked high in past and some masters final. Carreno is solid and Nakashima is hit prospect on home turf

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,836 Posts
I have been following tennis for a very long time and as far as I remember it is one of the easiest run to a GS final and despite an easy draw, he lost 6 sets. He has been playing a poor and boring tennis, but credit to him, he always found a way to win.
that could have a backfire effect if he becomes a bit too cocky on the basis of his success and not solve those underlying problems with his game.

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Its not just that, its that his level has been very underwhelming for a finalist.

But he could turn it on any time.

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
No

Anderson is a multi finalist

Coric has been ranked high in past and some masters final. Carreno is solid and Nakashima is hit prospect on home turf
sounds terrible tbh

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
One of the easiest sure. PCB was the man of the tournament after demolishing Djokovic, but unfortunately injury did for him in the semis when he was two sets up and schooling Zverev.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I won't judge the draw, because it's not up to him, however his level was shockingly bad, the worst I have seen in a long time. Thiem's draw, for instance, wasn't very impressive, but he offered some high quality and was very convincing in his wins.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts