Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is Stan the biggest hitter in tennis today?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question.

Is Stan the biggest hitter in tennis today?

That includes both wings

·
29,637 Posts
Maybe not hardest, but definitely the most penetrative power baseliner on the tour. Dictates points, without being a ballbasher.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I'm not sure he's the most powerful, but since he hits every ball as hard as he can I'd say 'yes'.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Depends on whether we're counting del Potro as active. If not, then yeah probably.

·
Registered
14,895 Posts
He hits super hard but he isn't a ballbasher (inb4 everyone mentions it). He hits defensive shots when it's time to hit one, and doesn't go for the impossible shots - not often.

But yeah, on both wings (average), he probably is the strongest hitter.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Del Po has the biggest forehand for sure, but Stan hits harder from the Backhand

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
im sorry, i though gay dreams are reserved for off topic :(
So now you're challenged by literacy and (bizarre) homophobia? Besides, not sure what's gayer in this thread than your apparent tardism for Del Potro, a guy who, active or not, cannot properly hit a backhand due to injury.

·
Registered
340 Posts
When you consider both the wings, a definite YES!!!

Both his FH & single handed BH are forces to reckon with...That Backhand especially when on is straight from Hell!

There is a reason why he won a Grandslam and managed to best the AO Goat for the only time in 4 years while at it...

Only issue is he can be too aggressive & erratic, but when they fire, they leave a hole the size of a Shotgun!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I was wondering, maybe it is not only the power he generates but also the speed? I think he hits the ball rather flat.
In any case, Stan is a very impressive player when he is on. If he comes out guns blazing there is not a lot one an do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
So now you're challenged by literacy and (bizarre) homophobia? Besides, not sure what's gayer in this thread than your apparent tardism for Del Potro, a guy who, active or not, cannot properly hit a backhand due to injury.
I don't have tardism for Del Potro. Del Potro can hit BH just fine, if not injured. Wawrinka BH is aesthetic, pleasing to eye, and also lethal both CC and DTL, but its not the fastest one. Two handed BH is faster. Always. Murray actually is the guy who can hit over 150km/h even though not many would say he has powerful backhand. I think fastest ever was recorded by Nalbandian, but cant be sure. Also, Wawrinka have variations in his game, finding angles, hitting both topspin and flat with both fh and bh... Del Potro has been doing it all with sheer power. From both wings.
As for literacy, I'm sure my English is far better then your Serbian. So you might respect the fact that we all are not native English speakers, and we express ourselves the best way we can.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I don't have tardism for Del Potro. Del Potro can hit BH just fine, if not injured. Wawrinka BH is aesthetic, pleasing to eye, and also lethal both CC and DTL, but its not the fastest one. Two handed BH is faster. Always. Murray actually is the guy who can hit over 150km/h even though not many would say he has powerful backhand. I think fastest ever was recorded by Nalbandian, but cant be sure. Also, Wawrinka have variations in his game, finding angles, hitting both topspin and flat with both fh and bh... Del Potro has been doing it all with sheer power. From both wings.
The fact of the matter is that he is injured, so I'm not sure what your comment about "fantasies" was meant to allude to, but when you're playing the "if" game, you are dealing in nothing other than that.

You're talking about simple speeds, but weight of shot and depth are just as important. Pound-for-pound, Wawrinka demonstrates these traits outstandingly from both wings, and does so with regularity (unlike some of the guys you mentioned).

As for literacy, I'm sure my English is far better then your Serbian. So you might respect the fact that we all are not native English speakers, and we express ourselves the best way we can.
And my French is probably as good as your English, so what is your point? I showed no disrespect for you until you decided to make some bizarrely idiotic response to my comment, rather than acknowledging a simple truth about Del Potro's backhand, no matter how unfortunate it might be.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts