Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally when Federer doesn't beat Berdych, he is in for a rough patch, or in the middle of one. When he does beat him, he is generally playing well against the top players, or going to be. Discuss. Is there anything specific Federer is doing better when beating Berdych, and doing worse when losing? His forehand? His return? His serve? His tactics/variety? Or is it more about Berdych?

Code:
[B]2014 	Dubai  U.A.E. 	        Hard 	F 	Federer, Roger 3-6, 6-4, 6-3[/B] 
[B]2013 	Dubai  U.A.E. 	        Hard 	S 	Berdych, Tomas 3-6, 7-6(8), 6-4 [/B]
[B]2012 	US Open U.S.A. 	        Hard 	Q 	Berdych, Tomas 7-6(1), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3[/B] 
[B]2012 	ATP 1000 Madrid Spain 	Clay 	F 	Federer, Roger 3-6, 7-5, 7-5[/B]
[B]2011 	ATP 1000 Paris France 	Hard 	S 	Federer, Roger 6-4, 6-3[/B]
[B]2011 	ATP 1000 Cincinnati USA Hard 	Q 	Berdych, Tomas 6-2, 7-6(3)[/B]
[B]2010 	ATP 1000 Canada Toronto	Hard 	Q 	Federer, Roger 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(5)[/B]
[B]2010 	Wimbledon GB    	Grass 	Q 	Berdych, Tomas 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2010 	ATP 1000 Miami FL, USA  Hard 	R16 	Berdych, Tomas 6-4, 6-7(3), 7-6(6)[/B]
[B]2009 	Australian Open Aus. 	Hard 	R16 	Federer, Roger 4-6, 6-7(4), 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 [/B]
[B]2008 	Beijing Olympics China 	Hard 	R16 	Federer, Roger 6-3, 7-6(4)[/B]  
[B]2008 	Australian Open Aus. 	Hard 	R16 	Federer, Roger 6-4, 7-6(7), 6-3[/B]
[B]2007 	CZE v. SUI WG PO CzRep 	Carpet 	RR 	Federer, Roger 7-6(5), 7-6(10), 6-3 
2006 	Wimbledon England      	Grass 	R16 	Federer, Roger 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 
2006 	Halle Germany          	Grass 	F 	Federer, Roger 6-0, 6-7(4), 6-2 
2006 	Roland Garros France    Clay 	R16 	Federer, Roger 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 
2005 	ATP 1000 Hamburg Ger    Clay 	R32 	Federer, Roger 6-2, 6-1 [/B]
[B]2004 	Athens Olympics Greece  Hard 	R32 	Berdych, Tomas 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 [/B]
Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
It's actually a good indicator of how Federer's forehand declined in the last years.

Berdych has a huge wingspan, Federer's find difficult to servebot his way through him, so he has to rely on his groundstrokes and Berdych's forehand is powerful.

2004-2009 - Fed 8-1
2010-2014 - Bird 5-4

·
Registered
642 Posts
It's actually a good indicator of how Federer's forehand declined in the last years.

Berdych has a huge wingspan, Federer's find difficult to servebot his way through him, so he has to rely on his groundstrokes and Berdych's forehand is powerful.

2004-2009 - Fed 8-1
2010-2014 - Bird 5-4
Good point

I think that was a big mistake by Federer and not just decline. When he started to get older he made his forehand more spinning, moonballing if you like. It caused a good consistence from 2010-2012 but I think it made his peak form worse. If he would kept his flatter forehand which he felt is dangerous because he is slower and older, he would be more inconsistent, probably ended his QF streak earlier if we are taking the cons, but he might won another slam in those years. I dont know what you think about that, but I was thinking about this after his recent W loss a lot.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Fed beat Tomas in small tournament but lose in big one.
Another reason he is weak time winner.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Good point

I think that was a big mistake by Federer and not just decline. When he started to get older he made his forehand more spinning, moonballing if you like. It caused a good consistence from 2010-2012 but I think it made his peak form worse. If he would kept his flatter forehand which he felt is dangerous because he is slower and older, he would be more inconsistent, probably ended his QF streak earlier if we are taking the cons, but he might won another slam in those years. I dont know what you think about that, but I was thinking about this after his recent W loss a lot.
I think Fed's forehand was never really flat. Usually has a good ammount of spin, just not the heavy topspin Nadal's forehand has. It's more a case speed and accuracy's loss. Natural declining related with the age.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
According to Frauderer himself, he's a much better player now than in 2004 (I can dig up the interview, but I bet most people have already read it), so it's fair to say had prime Berdych existed back then, (as well as more talented floaters in early rounds such as Del Bonis, Brands and Stakhovsky) a lot of Fraud's 'magical' runs and slam wins would never come to pass. He was always a 4-6 type slam talent - a good player - but definitely not the GOAT lots of people claim him to be.

Berdych is easily one of the most talented players of today's generation and would be a nightmare match up for Fraud with better mental game (he already is anyway)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
According to Frauderer himself, he's a much better player now than in 2004 (I can dig up the interview, but I bet most people have already read it), so it's fair to say had prime Berdych existed back then, (as well as more talented floaters in early rounds such as Del Bonis, Brands and Stakhovsky) a lot of Fraud's 'magical' runs and slam wins would never come to pass. He was always a 4-6 type slam talent - a good player - but definitely not the GOAT lots of people claim him to be.

Berdych is easily one of the most talented players of today's generation and would be a nightmare match up for Fraud with better mental game (he already is anyway)
Now I know why everyone welcomes you back. You are funny as hell!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think Fed's forehand was never really flat. Usually has a good ammount of spin, just not the heavy topspin Nadal's forehand has. It's more a case speed and accuracy's loss. Natural declining related with the age.
Yes I agree, I actually read some article about it. However I think Federer has no problem with accuray only with speed. It is understandable that he thaught he doesnt have the same speed. But hitting higher balls which causes the loss of speed, taking away an agressive baseliner biggest weapon. If you watch some Nadal highlights he can hit very fast balls if he hit it lower.
Just for note I think at 2008 Federer avarege spin is 2700-800 and Nadal had it around 3200.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts