Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is this the most open slam of the past ten years?

Is this the most open slam of the past ten years?

2K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Mark Lenders 
#1 ·
I have absolutely no idea who will win.

Nadal: Nobody would be shocked if he loses early, but if he reaches the SF he becomes the favorite. Also 'back problems'.

Djokovic: It's his worst surface, anything can happen. Golubev might GOAT, Tsonga might rise again, who knows. If he survives that Gulbis or Berdych are waiting. And if he makes it to the SF and Murray is there he won't be the favorite. And if he reaches the final and an opponent shows up he won't be the favorite there either. Also 'wrist problems'.

Murray: Theoretically a cakewalk to the SF, but who knows in his current form? His confidence probably took a hit after getting demolished by Nadal and a painful defeat against Stepanek. Also 'coach problems'.

Federer: Easy QF with Wawrinka, but has to start the tournament off with Benneteau/Muller -> Mahut -> Janowicz, who if he gets there shouldn't be as easy to crack as the rest of the year. If Stakhovsky can beat him they can as well. Who knows, if Nadal bombs out early his opening rounds will be harder than his QF and SF. Also old.

Nothing would surprise me, even a first time Grand Slam winner :shrug:

See less See more
#4 ·
Federer was a very strong favorite at AO 2010. There were plenty of capable contenders, sure, but one towered over them and ended up winning, naturally.

#3 ·
Yeah it's pretty open but honestly Nadal has this on lockdown. He won't flame out early three years in a row, and there is no other serious competition at the moment. The younger talent all have bad draws so this will end up as Nadal d. Murray 5-7 6-2 6-4 6-3

#5 ·
Either Fed or Rafa will win anyway, however open it seems.

#9 ·
The only way Djokovic can win is that all other big 4 are out before SF.
Delusional to have him as the winner.

#17 ·
I was saying Rafa would win before RG. Only delusional MTF obsessive Nadal haters denied it!

#20 ·
I don´t see how is it really more open than last year wimbledon, the winner will be from top 4 i personally don´t give chance to Rafa but let´s say top 4, i thought Tomas might have chance but Nole being in his draw he won´t win this so it´s going to be Murray, Nole or Roger. People really writing here stuff like most open slam in years like whole top 20 has chance to win this.... there were many HC slams more open than this in last 3 years like when you had big 4 + Delpo, Tsonga or Berdych in form, here we have just 3 players - Roger, Nole, Murray

#22 ·
#23 ·
Top 16 favorites and current odds:

1. Djokovic- 2.96
2. Murray- 5.3
3. Nadal- 6.6
4. Federer- 7.4
5. Dimitrov- 22
6. Wawrinka- 42
7. Raonic- 60
8. Berdych- 65
9. Gulbis- 70
10. Tsonga- 120
11. Ferrer- 120
12. Lopez- 130
13. Nishikori- 140
14. Janowicz- 140
15. Cilic- 180
16. Isner- 200

#24 ·
Sadly, this slam is open not because of the many players peaking, it's because main players have their issues and everybody else sucks ass.

Nadal will probably win by beating Murray in the final. Or if Nadal fails again (not likely), Murray is pretty much the lock. Pusher and moonballer favorites on grass :facepalm:

So idk about "the most open", but it's definitely the most disgusting slam in many years. I won't even bother watching.

#27 ·
Nadal is in poor form on grass and Murray overall.

Wouldn't say Fed and Djoko are out of form altogether or even on grass. Yes, I know, Nole has not played on the surface this year yet, but you just cannot underestimate him, while you can surely do it for the other 2: given their ups and downs this year, after aging too much and struggling by returning from major surgery.

#30 ·
Nope. Either Rafa reaches the 2nd week or he doesn't. If he does, forget it, this is his.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.