Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is this the most open slam of the past ten years?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have absolutely no idea who will win.

Nadal: Nobody would be shocked if he loses early, but if he reaches the SF he becomes the favorite. Also 'back problems'.

Djokovic: It's his worst surface, anything can happen. Golubev might GOAT, Tsonga might rise again, who knows. If he survives that Gulbis or Berdych are waiting. And if he makes it to the SF and Murray is there he won't be the favorite. And if he reaches the final and an opponent shows up he won't be the favorite there either. Also 'wrist problems'.

Murray: Theoretically a cakewalk to the SF, but who knows in his current form? His confidence probably took a hit after getting demolished by Nadal and a painful defeat against Stepanek. Also 'coach problems'.

Federer: Easy QF with Wawrinka, but has to start the tournament off with Benneteau/Muller -> Mahut -> Janowicz, who if he gets there shouldn't be as easy to crack as the rest of the year. If Stakhovsky can beat him they can as well. Who knows, if Nadal bombs out early his opening rounds will be harder than his QF and SF. Also old.

Nothing would surprise me, even a first time Grand Slam winner :shrug:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Yeah it's pretty open but honestly Nadal has this on lockdown. He won't flame out early three years in a row, and there is no other serious competition at the moment. The younger talent all have bad draws so this will end up as Nadal d. Murray 5-7 6-2 6-4 6-3

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Most open since Australian Open 2010. Maybe more so given that Murray is actually a proven Slam-winner now.
Federer was a very strong favorite at AO 2010. There were plenty of capable contenders, sure, but one towered over them and ended up winning, naturally.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Either Fed or Rafa will win anyway, however open it seems.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Novak and Andy are the favorites. I don't think it's as open as some people are making it out. Rafa, most likely out in first week.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Novak and Andy are the favorites. I don't think it's as open as some people are making it out. Rafa, most likely out in first week.
The only way Djokovic can win is that all other big 4 are out before SF.
Delusional to have him as the winner.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Not sure if it's the most open of the last ten years, but probably the most open in at least the last few years. Still, despite all of their "problems" it would be very surprising to me if someone outside the Big 4 took the title.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I won't write off Murray completely though. His endless luck is ridiculous. An easy draw (which he has already) and an injured Fed/Nadal in the final will earn him another fluky title

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Federer was a very strong favorite at AO 2010. There were plenty of capable contenders, sure, but one towered over them and ended up winning, naturally.
I had a distorted perspective from which Murray was a prime candidate and that brings Djokovic plus Nadal into the picture as well as Delpo and in-form Davydenko. I saw more potential winners of that tournament than this but we'll see.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
It's the most open in the sense that the #1 pick for the tournament (whoever that individual is, we can't even decide) has a significantly smaller degree of consensus than at any other slam for the last 10 years.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Tbf people were saying this before Roland Garros and look how it panned out.
I was saying Rafa would win before RG. Only delusional MTF obsessive Nadal haters denied it!

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
Tbf people were saying this before Roland Garros and look how it panned out.
Not really, everyone knew it was going to be Nadal-Djokovic in the final :shrug:

Wimbledon is usually the most open slam of them all considering the microscopic grass season lead up, top seeds vulnerable to early upsets, grass just being a big equalizer.

I don't even know who to pick, who to jinx, etc.

So long as Nadal leaves Wimbledon as #1 and vultures some July weeks at #1, I'm happy.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I don´t see how is it really more open than last year wimbledon, the winner will be from top 4 i personally don´t give chance to Rafa but let´s say top 4, i thought Tomas might have chance but Nole being in his draw he won´t win this so it´s going to be Murray, Nole or Roger. People really writing here stuff like most open slam in years like whole top 20 has chance to win this.... there were many HC slams more open than this in last 3 years like when you had big 4 + Delpo, Tsonga or Berdych in form, here we have just 3 players - Roger, Nole, Murray

1 - 20 of 34 Posts