Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is this the best chance for Monfils to make a final in a slam?

• Yes, he will be a French hero, then he subsequently loses to Nadal in 3.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • No, he will lose to JesusFed.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • He will beat Fed, but Circus will be too strong for him to carry motivation through 6 rounds.

Votes: 26 57.8%

Is this the best chance for Monfils to make a final in a slam?

3K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  zebez20 
#1 ·
Gael Monfils is a french player and fooking legend from Circus Alley. However, if he focuses enough on the match, most of the players don't stand a chance against him. His best result was a SF against Federer in 2008, and Federer screwed him over and over in next few years. Last year he lost after giving a shit only for the 2 sets to Murray after perfectly performed tank of the century in the fifth set. Many tank experts including me think he lost because he knew that Nadal was too strong for him in SF and the circus needed someone who can jump through the fire circle.

This year the situation is different. He gets a cake draw till 4th round, than a GrandpaFed, who he humiliated in their last 2 encounters, so surely he is the favorite. Then a QF against some mug, because Wawrinka will lose to that mug earlier. The biggest obstacle is the semifinal, because his game against Berdych is effective like a splash from Magikarp. However, Berdych will likely face some tough opposition and Monfils can face either Nishikori, or his biggest clownemy, Fabio Fognini.

Is this the best chance for the French entertainer to get to the final on his home soil?

See less See more
#16 ·
You have not seen his opponents well Diego ,Cuevas for sure are great clay players and could give him a good fight as Gilermo Garcia Lopez did it.
Federer is in good form now and his back is okay not like it was in DC last year or like it was in MC for Fed' second match on clay. For sure that is not going to happen 3x in row.

#18 ·
Monfils is a good player but lacks the CONSISTENCY TO BE A SLAM WINNER. There's A FINE LINE between being a slam winner and not. That's why we revere multi slam winners so much.

They're A RARE BREED. Players who can raise their level of play for two weeks in a best of five.

#33 ·
#12 ·
Where is the option to beat Fed and lose to No1e in the final? That is what is hopefully going to happen.

#14 ·
Kinda hard to have much faith in Monfils. Last year's RG, Murray can barely run in 5th set, and Monfils gets bagelled ..... or more accurately, bagels himself. The most ludicrous thing I've ever seen on a tennis court.

Then last year's UO, routining Federer, chokes insanely, df df to break himself, and has a humungous meltdown.

#27 ·
Kinda hard to have much faith in Monfils. Last year's RG, Murray can barely run in 5th set, and Monfils gets bagelled ..... or more accurately, bagels himself. The most ludicrous thing I've ever seen on a tennis court.

Nothing surprises me when it comes to this buffoon.Should come out onto the court on a unicycle with the way he carried on in his career.

Why would any coach of his want to put up this this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mEUeGcwSL0

#19 ·
Monflis v Murray in that last set was so funny, I just couldn't stop laughing

#20 ·
Naa, like others have said, his best chance was USO 2014 and he messed it up >_<...

I don't see him beating Federer here if he makes it to round 4, if he wins that would mean he beat Federer 3 times in a row and I don't see that happening, would love to be proven wrong though but I'm not getting my hopes up, every time I do he never delivers, expect the unexpected with La Monf.

#25 ·
He will choke before SF anyway.

#26 ·
Monfils took Federer to 5 in USO and should have won it. This is clay in front of his home crowd. I'm almost certain he can pull it off especially in BO5. But Berdych/Nishikori is a different proposition of its own. Likely he gets Nishikori but that won't be too easy.

#28 ·
no way will be beat Fed. I was there live at the US Open last summer and after watching Monfils choke that match so successfully I've realized that he has a giant mental block in big matches at slams. no way will he do it

#31 ·
... The irony is that one of the best matches from Monfils in all seriousness,mental strategy on the court,shotplay and whatnot was against Berdych at the French Open a couple of years ago in the first round.It was no frills all business no pleasure Monfils that won Monfils the first 2 sets before prevailing in the first round that day in 5 tough sets.Should've beaten Robredo too later on but squandered 123 matchpoints but also played like his IQ was at least approaching 3 digits.

... If his coach can put the word in his ear that the draw is there for him to take advantage of and make a maiden slam final for the first time and he actually believes that,then there is a slight possibility.

#30 ·
He definitely has a huge chance. About even for third best chance of his half, after Federer and Nishikori and about the same as Berdych. Very "fortunate" to have been drawn away from the half of death with Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, and Ferrer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.