Mens Tennis Forums banner

Clayray to win the FO?

• Yes. Clayray is life, Clayray is love.

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Only if Chokovic appears.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • He can, but he won't.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • He'll get upset early.

Votes: 7 14.9%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's be honest, the draw worked out pretty well for him. Sure he has a tough couple matchups with Kyrgios, Isner, and Ferrer, but he'll still be a big favorite for them. Then Nadal/Djokovic QF, one of them could be exhausted and bound to have a bit of a letdown, and Clayray can capitalize. He'll be a big favorite in the final over anyone in the other half.

·
The special one
14,369 Posts
i can't see him having any problems before the quarters, I can see isner and kyrgios losing before they even get to murray, Ferrer will be a 50/50 match though he's never beat him on clay

·
29,637 Posts
i can't see him having any problems before the quarters, I can see isner and kyrgios losing before they even get to murray, Ferrer will be a 50/50 match though he's never beat him on clay
I expect him to take care of Ferrer but even a straight sets win over him will take 3 hours + and be a taxing contest, so he won't have much of an energy advantage over the other QF winner in a projected SF.

If Cilic knocks Ferrer over in R4 though, that could change it.

Still, RG was always a long shot. The MS in Madrid was a mighty fine addition to his collection and one could argue he's overachieved on clay slightly by winning one.

I genuinely thought Murray was probably done as a realistic contender for big tournaments last November- struggling to beat clowns like Boredo in finals and getting one game off Indoorer. Now, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't win at least another slam. Djokovic isn't peak Federer and won't be cleaning up every GS event for the next 3 years, so he will have chances, and weaker opposition than the previous few years to boot.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I expect him to take care of Ferrer but even a straight sets win over him will take 3 hours + and be a taxing contest, so he won't have much of an energy advantage over the other QF winner in a projected SF.

If Cilic knocks Ferrer over in R4 though, that could change it.

Still, RG was always a long shot. The MS in Madrid was a mighty fine addition to his collection and one could argue he's overachieved on clay slightly by winning one.

I genuinely thought Murray was probably done as a realistic contender for big tournaments last November- struggling to beat clowns like Boredo in finals and getting one game off Indoorer. Now, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't win at least another slam. Djokovic isn't peak Federer and won't be cleaning up every GS event for the next 3 years, so he will have chances, and weaker opposition than the previous few years to boot.
You forgot how he did to nadal... the one he never beat on clay before the last match.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
RG15 will be the tournament for Djokovic to lose, even though Nadal is the 9x champion. Djokovic's baseline game may not be as impeccable as his 2011 level, but the overall control over the game, the tournaments and the field reaches its summit this year. Murray may take Djokovic into a 4 setter and lose if everything went his way, but nothing beyond that.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I wouldn't rule Murray out, if he survives the "Big 3/4" part of the draw. My only concern is whether his body will stand up to BO5 on clay for the whole of a slam, but then he should have a day's rest between each match, so it might be feasible.

·
Administrator
6,158 Posts
Best chance to escape his half is to capitalise on a post-Nadal Chokovic. Or a post Djokovic Tiredal, but I predict Nadal getting better each round rather than worse.

Of course, if he made the final he would most likely lose if it was Cakewalkerer. Best chance would be someone else, such as Valdervych or Clownfils.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
No. Murray has no chance of ever winning RG.

·
6,478 Posts
Murray would normally be my 2nd choice player for any tournament behind Novak, and he does have a puncher's chance.
But it is still not a great one, assuming he makes the Semis, he will face either an in form Novak or an inspired Rafa, both hellbent on winning.
Not an easy situation either way.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Murray would normally be my 2nd choice player for any tournament behind Novak, and he does have a puncher's chance.
But it is still not a great one, assuming he makes the Semis, he will face either an in form Novak or an inspired Rafa, both hellbent on winning.
Not an easy situation either way.
This ain't boxing buddy. Murray has no shot. Wimbledon is his best shot, then US Open

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Let's be honest, the draw worked out pretty well for him. Sure he has a tough couple matchups with Kyrgios, Isner, and Ferrer, but he'll still be a big favorite for them. Then Nadal/Djokovic QF, one of them could be exhausted and bound to have a bit of a letdown, and Clayray can capitalize. He'll be a big favorite in the final over anyone in the other half.
Isner is no threat to Murray. He is next to useless. Murray has a shot in this French open but I don't see him beating Djokovic if they meet before the final. He would struggle against Nadal too. He will have to play even better than Madrid if he is going to be a serious contender it all starts tomorrow so we shall see.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I voted yes besides that whole 'live, life' bit

simply because Murray is playing well on clay this season, probably as good as ever, and with Djokovic and Nadal in the same QF section I definitely think he could step up during this event. he will obviously be hoping that if Djokovic makes it to the SF against him that he will have had a lot of tough matches, best odds for Murray is that he gets some help with his top opposition being burnt out

honestly would be a little hilarious if Murray won RG before Djokovic considering how close Novak has been in the last years

·
Registered
645 Posts
why would anyone think Murray will be heavy favorite against Ferrer? and no, Murray will not win RG this year

1 - 20 of 33 Posts