Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
veteran Robby Ginepri, that almost retired last year from tennis, won Tallahassee CH and secured - USTA wild-card for French Open. Lucky or not it speaks about the current state of american tennis. Ginepri takes WC and Russell is better ranked than Harrison, Kudla or Williams.

"It feels unbelievable," a smiling Ginepri said after his semifinal win. "I knew the situation the entire week and every match had more and more build-up and anxiety. Coming out here this morning I was a little tight but had a 6-1 first set which helped, then got down a couple of breaks in the second set but hung around mentally."
"It’s a big accomplishment especially with all of the injuries and ups and downs I’ve had, said Ginepri, who was a US Open semifinalist in 2005. Last year and the year before I was contemplating retiring, so if this week didn’t go well I could have pulled the trigger on that as well. This is a good reward and I’m definitely eager to work as hard as I can leading into the French and fight hard."

current ATP rankings of US players (top300):

10. John Isner
65. Bradley Klahn
69. Steve Johnson
72. Sam Querrey
79. Jack Sock
80. Donald Young
98. Michael Russell
106. Tim Smyczek
118. Denis Kudla
130. Ryan Harrison
152. Alex Kuznetsov
170. Wayne Odesnik
187. Rhyne Williams
214. Austin Krajicek
215. Tennys Sandgren
236. Jarmere Jenkins
253. Bobby Reynolds
267. Chase Buchanan
278. Robby Ginepri
290. Daniel Kosakowski

Donald Young was once nr. 38 in the world (2012), Sam Querrey nr. 17 (2011) - but they failed to maintan that level of play. Young had enough of USTA and turned to family coaching: Coach: Donald Sr. & lIlona Young.

What measures should USTA take to improve them as players, make them decent all around players? Most of them have good serve and results on home soil, but they fail elsewhere. Is there anything that can be done, or we have to wait for next generation (no talent/work ethic in this one).

Do they lack that 'fighting spirit' that Ginepri is showing at 31?
Do they need more (financial?) pressures as Roddick says? Receiving wild-cards, each year, into US - Masters and tournaments is easy money for some of them. They can afford to put 'food on the table'/

Andy Roddick speaking about the current state of US tennis (february 2014).
"There’s an upside [to both Sock and Harrison] but there needs to be a sense of urgency," says Roddick who, at times, has mentored both players. "There are different kinds of pressures that create motivation, maybe even putting food on the table. I hope they realize the opportunities they have because it’s funny, you think you’re going to play forever and then you wake up on your 30th birthday and you’re done."

Discuss.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
There is some up and coming talent. Christian Harrison, Kozlov, etc

One big problem is that American tennis is centered around big serve + forehand and doesn't emphasize movement and defense, which is essential in the ATP's molasses courts. We also don't play on clay.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Kosakowski is quite talented and not one-dimensional as for american standards. Can see him reaching top-100 this season.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
There never were real americans on top(talking about last 20 years) besides courier and roddick.

Sampras was greek, agassi is assyrian, chang is asian, etc.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
There never were real americans on top(talking about last 20 years) besides courier and roddick.

:facepalm:

I mean, just :facepalm:

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
:facepalm:

I mean, just :facepalm:
I mean your typical cocky bastards who are likely to develop ADHD by the time they reach the age of 5, think in andy roddick. They also prone to cryover their pillow if they receive the white iphone instead of the black one.their favorite music is blink 182.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts

I mean your typical cocky bastards who are likely to develop ADHD by the time they reach the age of 5, think in andy roddick. They also prone to cryover their pillow if they receive the white iphone instead of the black one.their favorite music is blink 182.
:lol:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
More anti-American haters, stay pressed :lol: You think this annoys us? We love it! I'm gonna light even more fireworks on July 4

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
The funny thing is that Yuros think this is some badge of honor, when really it's sad, because Americans just don't care. If we did, we'd have multiple top players.
But when you're entire country is the size of my state, it's hard to get pressed over what you think :shrug:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Being recently decended from immigrants IS the 'real american' characteristic.

Immigrants tend to be motivated people. Countries where lots of people emigrate risk being left with the less motivated and the destinations of those people ususally benefit. A population descended from immigrants is a large part of what has made america great.

For the USA, either your ancestry goes back to somewhere like greek, assryian or asian or something or you are one of the relatively few native americans.

·
Unregistered User
9,588 Posts
Francis Tiafoe, Michael Mmoh, Stefan Kozlov all seem like they might actually have the potential to do some damage on the tour in a couple of years. They might actually take over the Jack Sock and Ryan Harrison generation pretty quickly, if there ever was such a generation to begin with, that is.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Francis Tiafoe, Michael Mmoh, Stefan Kozlov all seem like they might actually have the potential to do some damage on the tour in a couple of years. They might actually take over the Jack Sock and Ryan Harrison generation pretty quickly, if there ever was such a generation to begin with, that is.
sock/Kudla and harrison are still a chance to make top 10 they are only 21/22, you never know what will happen when fed,nadal,djokovic and murray retires

1 - 18 of 18 Posts