Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering... The youngest GS title holder I can think of is Marin Cilic, but he's over 30 now, so I don't know if there's anyone under 30 who has won a GS title on the tour. If not, it shows how dominating the Big 3 plus some other over-30 guys have been over the past 10+ years.

·
justice for all
15,124 Posts
Rublev, Zverev, Paul, Kyrgios, Garin, Fritz, Opelka, Shapovalov, Popyrin, Davidovich-Fokina, Sayboth Wild, Musetti, Rune and a few more but I can't remember the names...

·
Rankings Master
15,859 Posts
Rublev, Zverev, Paul, Kyrgios, Garin, Fritz, Opelka, Shapovalov, Popyrin, Davidovich-Fokina, Sayboth Wild, Musetti, Rune and a few more but I can't remember the names...
He probably meant non-Junior Slam, which is probably the easiest question to answer in men's tennis right now.

·
Registered
793 Posts
He probably meant non-Junior Slam, which is probably the easiest question to answer in men's tennis right now.
You're right, we should limit ourselves to non-juniors, and, of course, men's tennis. So, let's see, I guess Rajeev Ram who won AO 2020 is a fair bit older than 30, but probably the guy he teamed up with, Salisbury, has not turned 30 yet. ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let us focus only on singles! I'm not intereted in junior or doubles. Only singles!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That case.

No

[/THREAD]
Has it happened before? Has there been any period where there's no GS title holder aged under 30? If so, what does it indicate?

·
Rankings Master
15,859 Posts
Has it happened before? Has there been any period where there's no GS title holder aged under 30? If so, what does it indicate?
Again no.

What does it indicate is a puzzling question... but there will always be two starting points in answering it: strongest trio of players of all time vs. weakest young generation of all time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
473 Posts
It is a testament to the strength of the big three who have benefitted by the existence of each other by pushing one another. A sort of critical mass the three of them created that keeps the others out.

Also there have been one time structural changes in tennis that have extended careers and made everything more uniform which tends to put a premium on experience. These include equipment technology, nutrition, training programs, greater uniformity of courts, scientific understanding of the techniques of tennis.

·
Your visions will happen
48,540 Posts
Might have happened in the pre-Open Era, where veterans tended to be more successful than emerging contemporaries.

Maybe @Johnny Groove has more insight.
Might be the first time ever, not really bothered to look though

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
After this and ugly wives Id say lets go back to GOAT debates please

Reactions: sdon

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think some of the posters who commented in this thread don't quite understand the meaning of the thead title. I think we got the answer to the question now. There's no player under 30 who owns a GS title at the moment. I hope this will change soon. Hopefully Kei Nishikori will do it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts